5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok yea, these 5th gens have issues and its not like "everyone else"

immersivenc

Reaction score
A trim mismatch, at this point, I'm willing to bet they are shipping anyway to keep the production flowing and at the time they had storage lots full of held rambox trucks. There probably wasn't room for them to be pulled for a few days. The assembly line computers have gotten crossed up and readied the wrong trim piece for installation, the worker only focuses on his job and qc likely ships it knowing there's an issue in order to hit ramp up production numbers. Yes it's wrong but that's life in a high volume build.

It’s been brought up before, but I highly doubt this would pass muster with BMW or MB. The higher trims of this truck are on par with some of their mid sized sedans and SUV’s price-wise. I think we need to hold RAM accountable, brand loyal or otherwise and call a spade a spade. They got some ‘splaining to do on the first run of these trucks, no doubt.

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
Reading this and it makes me wonder what exactly you people think your buying , it sure is no Bugatti veyron ...I understand the 60 to 70k price tag should come with quality components and perfection straight from the plant line... these issues you all are having are cosmetic and at the very least very simple problems that will be fixed thru a dealer tsb . Quick to bash this truck over a fkd up defrost or mixmatched trim ...I have a 19 limited with it's own issues but I'm not gonna tell some one not to buy it cause the ac is not that great. I can tell all of you that think these issues are deal breakers are hard to please ... I fix hail damage on vehicles (18 yr tech and) and can tell you ALL now that the quality on a 100k Benz down to a 20k Prius is just as ****ty

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
It’s been brought up before, but I highly doubt this would pass muster with BMW or MB. The higher trims of this truck are on par with some of their mid sized sedans and SUV’s price-wise. I think we need to hold RAM accountable, brand loyal or otherwise and call a spade a spade. They got some ‘splaining to do on the first run of these trucks, no doubt.

There ya go !!!

('explaining to do on the first run of these trucks , no doubt ) every first run has issues and second, it takes time to work things out, relax and enjoy the truck

immersivenc

Reaction score
There ya go !!!

('explaining to do on the first run of these trucks , no doubt ) every first run has issues and second, it takes time to work things out, relax and enjoy the truck

I appreciate the optimism, and I’d like to, but my truck is on a lift having the transmission dropped out of it to replace the rear main seal that was leaking oil. My dealer has made me a very attractive offer to get out of this truck because I have had issue after issue. My experience is not yours, and yours is not mine.

Atcje

Reaction score
I've had several Dodge/Ram trucks over the years, along with other brands, this is the only one I've told folks to hold off buying if they are interested, just too many issues right now. I love the truck but damn I've spent a lot of time at the shop. I sure hope FCA doesn't adopt the same attitude of some on here, "mine is fine so your issues must be in your head". The problems are real and too numerous. Mechanically mine seems fine other than the fact it gets 5 mpg less the my son's mechanically identical 2018 Ram.

Agitated

Reaction score
Complaining online does do something. This is the new town square and manufacturers and publications take notice of things like this.

I really wish this was true.

People are quick these days to find fault in everything. Does a problem need fixed? Yes of course. Sharing information? Yes of course. Complaining? No. It's easy to forget just what a feat of engineering it is that this truck, or any vehicle, is mass produced. All of it, from the bolts used to hold the driveshaft, to the tooling that stamps out body panels. And then to offer so many options and somehow put together a truck on an assembly line with different options and correctly. People need to learn to be patient, realize they have a 400hp machine, and any issues that slipped by or need corrected...will be corrected. Think about what good the truck is, and not what it isn't.
If not and you hate the truck and are just plain ol' pissed off; I got nothing for you. Go find another truck and hope for the best I guess because you'll probably never be happy.

Also, if mine were to go in the shop the dealer will give me a loaner free of charge. It's not like we are left hanging with no transportation.

EdH

Reaction score
This is soooo far from the actual truth! My praise came when I bought the truck.. The praise came from when I trusted them enough to pay my money for the truck.. the praise came from my ownership of a 13 that I welded the hood shut and just drove. My praise came until the problems came. This attitude of people that feel we cant express our dissatisfaction with a truck we bought is more than frustrating. We DEPEND on peoples feed back to buy things in this day and age. Reviews on Cell phones are huge on youtube. Car reviews on youtube. We are fortunate that there are places for us to express our feelings about a large purchase.

Vehicle prices are skyrocketing and manufactures should not get away with subpar products. Defending them is more a problem than the actual issues. Unless you were someone that had serious problems then you never know how it feels. Its easy to throw out "If I was to go by what people post about products on the internet I would be a rich man because I would be afraid to buy anything" but if I keep ONE person from having to deal with what I am then I am happy.

You can dismiss 'Minor" issues and yes all brands have issues unless brands are called out on those issues then they won't be fixed. These forums exist just for these reasons. if we all came on here and sang praise it would be a boring place and probably wouldn't get much traffic.
Did you seriously weld your 2013 hood shut? If so, why? Just curious...

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah.. buy a 70k truck and keep your problems too yourself. the total OPPOSITE of what this forum is for.
Did you seriously weld your 2013 hood shut? If so, why? Just curious...
No.. its just saying I never had an issue... I never had to lift the hood because it never had an issue.. A friend of mine used to say weld the hood shut .. I said don't even change the oil he said nope just drive it.

Reactions: EdH

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
I appreciate the optimism, and I’d like to, but my truck is on a lift having the transmission dropped out of it to replace the rear main seal that was leaking oil. My dealer has made me a very attractive offer to get out of this truck because I have had issue after issue. My experience is not yours, and yours is not mine.

Fair enough, I'd say that's a big deal , I didnt know yours was to that extent .I just hopped around this thread lightly and did not notice that was your situation .. hopefully that fixes it and your on the way down the road , if not opt out of it and go with something else, if that dealer offered you an attractive offer why are you still in it ?

Kramersp

Reaction score
Issues with your truck? Well, the engine didn't blow up so shut up and color.

John813

Reaction score
No regrets with my decision to buy an F-150. Great smooth & quiet ride, huge console lacks the refinement of the Ram console but the stick shift makes up with the +/- manual shift, and driving modes to meet my driving desires. I would not trade my shifter for more console space I can't use up now. My rear underseat cargo organizer & secret space behind bench more than makes up for no ram bins which was my main reason for considering the Ram. No battery/extra engine belt to replace or be concerned with & lower insurance premiums!

Does your 2.7L still have a plastic/composite oil pan?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I agree, there are definitely some issues that need to be sorted out, some minor some more serious.

My 4th gen went back to the dealer a few times for very very minor stuff that honestly 95% of people probably wouldn't even notice, but since then has been 100% flawless. I hope Ram gets their QC under control (which I have been told they are working on) and these issues that I would say are common enough resolved in short order.

Watching these threads coupled with the fact that I don't even remotely need a new truck has me more inclined to hang on to mine for at least another year and making sure these problems are ironed out.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly not sure, no leaks, light weight, better fuel efficiency than the eTorque but my brakes are silky smooth & no squealing. Initially, the off-road PKG appealed to me but my FX4 offers as many ORG features without the harsh ride that has many Ram buyers regretting buying the off-road PKG.

F150 is a nice truck and I haven't driven a coil sprung 4x4 off road Ram yet but since my leveled 4th gen on load range E tires rides nicer than an FX4 F150 I have serious doubts that a 4x4 off road 5th gen rides worse than an F150.

sgk

Reaction score
Honestly not sure, no leaks, light weight, better fuel efficiency than the eTorque but my brakes are silky smooth & no squealing. Initially, the off-road PKG appealed to me but my FX4 offers as many ORG features without the harsh ride that has many Ram buyers regretting buying the off-road PKG.
Maybe that's why there #1 selling. Surely there is a reason. But I'm not interested in the #1 I'm interested in my favorite one.
I loveany trucks from different brands but can only afford one.

John813

Reaction score
I believe they do. CGI block too. Great little motors.

they are. Peppy with sport mode. Enjoyed my rental F-150s with that engine.
Just seen those and the Raptor oil pans(3.5L) that have leaked within a short amount of time. Not all but some. Just hope he watches the oil pan here and there.

Maconi

Reaction score
I actually hope public opinion of this truck continues to drop. I've been waiting for a good deal and if I can snag one for 50% off MSRP soon I'll take the plunge into FCA hell with it lol.

I already own a 2015 Chrysler 200 C so I'm no stranger to the local FCA dealership. If it wasn't for the warranty I would have already paid over half of the car's worth in repair bills. :cautious:

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
At the end of the day the issues will get resolved and the general public will forget about it or be none the wiser.

Guys are praising the 2.7 EcoBoost which I agree is a good motor, but what about the ones built with bad heads, the ones that would randomly lock up, eating timing chains and the aforementioned oil leaks?

The issues got resolved and the general public forgot, the same will happen here. Obviously the outcome could be different for affected owners though.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I need a break from here....... This is getting to be too depressing reading all the "Debbie Downer" posts

Naw...just realize that there are also a bunch of people that are "happy" owners that are around...and yes I've had some issues with the truck, like just having the radio replaced, etc. Although I would like perfection, I've also worked in the automotive industry before and realize why there are warranties...for EVERY manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread