5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil

ShortStack

Reaction score
Mobile 1 Extended Performance is what I have always used. Lots of twin turbo Ford motors and now my HEMI. All specs are met to cover warranty.
Just read the fine print on the back of container.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You think 250° is hot for oil? Who many people do you think tow often and get their oil that hot use regular oil? The point is that the vast majority of trucks in use would be ok with dino oil and most certainly would not likely come close to the limits of any of the syntherics. You're not impacting 5w20 doing anything in this truck

250 is definitely the limit for regular oil. These hemis were originally designed for 30w oil, the 20w only came into play for fuel effiency. It's not exactly the best oil for these engines, but if corporate ram gets another mpg then it helps them out.

These discussions always break down because of what we want from a truck; those that want the best feel like only the best will do, and those who don't really care just put whatever in and call it a day. All I'm saying is that Redline is the real deal (among some other select brands) and that 30w is better than 20w even when not towing. The UOA reports bear that out as well. Whether you feel you need to take that step for your truck and your usage, that's up to you. But the differences are real.

BowDown

Reaction score
250 is definitely the limit for regular oil. These hemis were originally designed for 30w oil, the 20w only came into play for fuel effiency. It's not exactly the best oil for these engines, but if corporate ram gets another mpg then it helps them out.

These discussions always break down because of what we want from a truck; those that want the best feel like only the best will do, and those who don't really care just put whatever in and call it a day. All I'm saying is that Redline is the real deal (among some other select brands) and that 30w is better than 20w even when not towing. The UOA reports bear that out as well. Whether you feel you need to take that step for your truck and your usage, that's up to you. But the differences are real.

But no one is using regular oil, it was an example, not reality.. If you think you're pushing your truck harder than I push my car then by all means. My car lives between 5000 and 7700. My truck between 500 and 3000 rpm and even when towing its not at 4K.
I will use the best oil within reason, if it were a money and accessibility were no object, I'd use Motul. Is Motul better than Mobil one for my use? No. Is Redline better for my use? No. Is redline even better than M1, IMO no. In all my track experience the only time oil was an issue is when it pooled in one corner of the oil span during long sweepers; Mobil 1 has been over 300° in my car after a few runs and thats while also using a setrab 16 pass oil cooler. Pre oil cooler temps are likely far higher. For that reason i stand behind my original comment that for the most part, you're not going to do anything in this truck that will tax the oil.

BowDown

Reaction score
you cant go wrong with Mobil 1, Penzoil , Redline or Royal Purple. I have used all but Redline for many years and have had no issues with any of them, they are all high quality oil. With my 2021 I only use Amsoil signature witch I think is the best, but at the end of the day its more important to change your oil when called for no matter what oil you use. Even Amizon oil tested very well for protection.

And that's the truth of the matter and I'd add that even just changing the oil filter at say 7K and leaving the oil in place for another 7k is fine

BowDown

Reaction score
I’ve used Mobil 1 in multiple vehicles since new with well over 200k no issues, with 5k intervals. And available anytime at Walmart.

I used Mobil 1 5w30 in my previous truck and it had 277K and no engine issues, no smoke, didn't burn oil and was clean internally

GerryS

Reaction score
I think that either Mobil1 or Redline are both good enough that you will have no oil related problems for the life of your engine. You will be getting rid of the truck for other reasons like rust well before the engine wears out. The OP might try using Mobil 1 for one oil change, and Redline for the next one.
Then he can decide for himself which oil works for him, but I think he can rest assured that neither oil is going to damage his engine.
Gerry

silver billet

Reaction score
But no one is using regular oil, it was an example, not reality.. If you think you're pushing your truck harder than I push my car then by all means. My car lives between 5000 and 7700. My truck between 500 and 3000 rpm and even when towing its not at 4K.
I will use the best oil within reason, if it were a money and accessibility were no object, I'd use Motul. Is Motul better than Mobil one for my use? No. Is Redline better for my use? No. Is redline even better than M1, IMO no. In all my track experience the only time oil was an issue is when it pooled in one corner of the oil span during long sweepers; Mobil 1 has been over 300° in my car after a few runs and thats while also using a setrab 16 pass oil cooler. Pre oil cooler temps are likely far higher. For that reason i stand behind my original comment that for the most part, you're not going to do anything in this truck that will tax the oil.

I'm not going to get into an argument about who pushes their engine harder, that's just silly.

This is what you wrote:
Anyone thinking they are getting any benefit from redlie (yes, red lie), royal purple, amsoil, motul or any other boutique oils are only fooling themselves. You will NEVER push the 5.7 or this truck to the point where you could are past the capabilities of regular dino oil.

And that is what I was responding to in your post, and that is what is incorrect. Many will benefit from running a full synthetic, in fact everyone who tows definitely should.

Secondly; there are over 100 reports on a different forum showing how Redline reduces or eliminates the hemi tick. Your blanket statement that Redline is a lie is just wrong, the facts are there if you want to look for yourself.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never tried Redline, but I used Mobile 1 in my 2004 Sierra from new. At 100000 miles I replaced the heads because one of them cracked because of a casting flaw. There was no discernible cylinder wear at all. The cross hatch was perfect and there was no ring ridge at the top of the cylinders.
When I sold the truck, the engine was perfectly fine, but the body was rusting away pretty quickly.
Gerry
I've been using Mobil 1 in most of my vehicles for 15 or so years. Same as you, I've pulled heads on few engines to find everything in perfect working order.
I'm not going to get into an argument about who pushes their engine harder, that's just silly.

This is what you wrote:

And that is what I was responding to in your post, and that is what is incorrect. Many will benefit from running a full synthetic, in fact everyone who tows definitely should.

Secondly; there are over 100 reports on a different forum showing how Redline reduces or eliminates the hemi tick. Your blanket statement that Redline is a lie is just wrong, the facts are there if you want to look for yourself.
I've been in enough oil er....'discussions' here and I don't feel like continuing that LOL. But I will say Red Line does seem to have fantastic adhesion properties, which would help with the 'HEMI tick'.

BowDown

Reaction score

This is what you wrote:

You shouldn't, this truck engine will never put in work like a track car nor does. The point was that if it survives that environment, it'll easily live in the truck.

Wrong how, you truly believe the average owner is going to work dino oil? No, they won't. Is dino better, no that's why I've never used it. You are taking literally what I meant as I said in that you're not going to over work any synthetic you out in this engine so any is good and dino would be ok for a good majority.

Levi Morgan

Reaction score
I know that oil choice is a hot topic but if you had your choice between Redline or Mobil 1, which one would you choose?
The Superteh Full Syn from Walmart is hard to beat. It's made by Warren. Their refinery makes many name brand oils. The UOA from Blackstone Labs backs it up.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mobile 1 Extended Performance is what I have always used. Lots of twin turbo Ford motors and now my HEMI. All specs are met to cover warranty.
Just read the fine print on the back of container.
Always ran that in the past. Switched to PUP to ensure this truck’s lifetime warranty is honored (Mobil 1 hasn’t obtained Chrysler cert).

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What about the Costco brand Full-Synth brand oil?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What about the Costco brand Full-Synth brand oil?
It's decent quality oil, and I am considering changing to it for my wife's car once I our stock of mobile 1 0w-20 is used up.

Like many of the other generic brand oils, it's made by Warren Distribution and is very similar to Supertech and Amazon Basics' oil. With that said, no ms6395 cert so always that *infinitesimally* small chance it causes a warranty issue if they somehow determine it doesn't carry that cert.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
It's decent quality oil, and I am considering changing to it for my wife's car once I our stock of mobile 1 0w-20 is used up.

Like many of the other generic brand oils, it's made by Warren Distribution and is very similar to Supertech and Amazon Basics' oil. With that said, no ms6395 cert so always that *infinitesimally* small chance it causes a warranty issue if they somehow determine it doesn't carry that cert.
I dont know if you ever watched project farm on YouTube, but he had done a bunch of testing on all kinds of oil, including Kirkland. I liked how well Kirkland flowed in the cold weather testing. Seemed to be among the best, so I plan on running that in my v-6 RAM come wintertime

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I used Napa 5-20 "blend" in my 11 bighorn and I never had any noises or problems. I only have 900 miles on it so far but I plan on using the same oil in my new 21 BTS. I have a Napa store within a 5 minute drive in any direction I go so its readily available.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dont know if you ever watched project farm on YouTube, but he had done a bunch of testing on all kinds of oil, including Kirkland. I liked how well Kirkland flowed in the cold weather testing. Seemed to be among the best, so I plan on running that in my v-6 RAM come wintertime

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
One of my favorite youtube channels lol.

silver billet

Reaction score
You shouldn't, this truck engine will never put in work like a track car nor does. The point was that if it survives that environment, it'll easily live in the truck.

Wrong how, you truly believe the average owner is going to work dino oil? No, they won't. Is dino better, no that's why I've never used it. You are taking literally what I meant as I said in that you're not going to over work any synthetic you out in this engine so any is good and dino would be ok for a good majority.

I can't make it any simpler for you than this: many while towing see temps > 250 especially up in the mountains. You absolutely need to be running a full synth oil at that point. What happens to you at the track makes no difference to me, I'm not on a track and your experience on the track doesn't cancel other's experience while towing.

Secondly, redline heals the hemi tick. Not everybody gets it, but if you're one of those < 5 to 10 percent who do, redline will help.

If you want to argue against that, knock yourself out, I can't change your mind if you want to insist that these specific facts aren't facts :)

Reactions: c3k

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I can't make it any simpler for you than this: many while towing see temps > 250 especially up in the mountains. You absolutely need to be running a full synth oil at that point. What happens to you at the track makes no difference to me, I'm not on a track and your experience on the track doesn't cancel other's experience while towing.

Secondly, redline heals the hemi tick. Not everybody gets it, but if you're one of those < 5 to 10 percent who do, redline will help.

If you want to argue against that, knock yourself out, I can't change your mind if you want to insist that these specific facts aren't facts :)

Silver Billet is right on here, you can see up to 285F on these trucks in heavy towing. Full synthetic can easily handle those temps, but regular will not.

BowDown

Reaction score

Whos arguing to use dino oil, I said most wouldn't push the truck that hard but factory fill is synthetic so its a moot point. No one suggested anything other than syn

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Whos arguing to use dino oil, I said most wouldn't push the truck that hard but factory fill is synthetic so its a moot point. No one suggested anything other than syn

That makes sense as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online