5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
I suppose one can interpret Mobils wording however one chooses, but I would think that they have complied with Stellantis/FCAs requirements before they added MS-6395 to the data sheets and the database for recommending their oil for MS-6395 applications. Jeep recommends oils that meet MS-13340 for the 2L turbo in my Cherokee and Mobil doesn't recommend any of their 5W-30 oils for it, nor do the recommend any of their 0W-40 oils for the 6.2L which recommends oil that meets MS-12633. It doesn't appear that Mobil just decided to randomly start recommending their oils for Stellantis/FCA vehicles, just those covered under MS-6395.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suppose one can interpret Mobils wording however one chooses, but I would think that they have complied with Stellantis/FCAs requirements before they added MS-6395 to the data sheets and the database for recommending their oil for MS-6395 applications. Jeep recommends oils that meet MS-13340 for the 2L turbo in my Cherokee and Mobil doesn't recommend any of their 5W-30 oils for it, nor do the recommend any of their 0W-40 oils for the 6.2L which recommends oil that meets MS-12633. It doesn't appear that Mobil just decided to randomly start recommending their oils for Stellantis/FCA vehicles, just those covered under MS-6395.
Lots of oil manufacturers "recommend" for 6395 but are not actually approved since they didn't pay for the fleet test portion of the cert.

There is a reason they use two separate tables using "recommend" and "meets/exceeds" for a reason. Legal CYA. Like I said, splitting hairs but Mobil isn't stupid.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Agreed, Mobil isn’t stupid which is why I have a hard time believing they would assume the product liability of recommending their oils without the proper documentation to back them up.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed, Mobil isn’t stupid which is why I have a hard time believing they would assume the product liability of recommending their oils without the proper documentation to back them up.
So the bottom line is that they are NOT certified, contrary to other posts.

I never said it wasn’t a good oil; quite the opposite, in fact. But they either are or are not certified, regardless of specifications.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Maybe I’m giving Mobils legal and corporate staff too much credit for suddenly, after approximately 12 years, recommending their product to consumers, both private and commercial/government/fleet, that have vehicles that need the recommended/required MS-6395 approval. I’ll officially withdraw my statement that Mobil 1 is MS-6395 certified.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The same could be said about AMSOIL, Red Line, or any other oil brand that uses the term "recommended" for a particular manufacturer spec....

Users who are viewing this thread