5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Udder XL

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
I was gonna post "this will make a great stocking stuffer for my mechanic" and then decided not to post that fearing the ensuing boos. Good thing I didn't post that.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We reviewed this elsewhere on this forum. It didn’t really work well for me on the Ram, as there’s just not enough room to use it. It caught the initial oil drop after breaking the seal, which was nice. Then it dumped oil everywhere when attempting to remove the filter due to having to nearly fold it in half to get the udder out with the filter. Back to plastic bags for me.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We reviewed this elsewhere on this forum. It didn’t really work well for me on the Ram, as there’s just not enough room to use it. It caught the initial oil drop after breaking the seal, which was nice. Then it dumped oil everywhere when attempting to remove the filter due to having to nearly fold it in half to get the udder out with the filter. Back to plastic bags for me.
Thanks SpeedyV.
Bought it, didn't look like it would work so well, held off and you confirmed my suspicions.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
why not attach a hose to the end to drain the oil before completely removing the unit?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
why not attach a hose to the end to drain the oil before completely removing the unit?
I had a hose attached and used it for the initial drain. But you can't fully drain the oil until you've fully removed the filter (some gets trapped above the filter, in addition to that which sits inside), and you've got to practically fold up the oil udder to get enough clearance to do that. There's very little "extra" space for both the body of the oil udder AND the oil filter itself to share. The result is that even with a hose attached, oil spills out of the folds of the oil udder. I found it very cumbersome, and the magnet is worthless when you can't keep the filter and udder aligned. It just adds stiffness that doesn't help in such a small space.

Keep in mind that I have a 4WD truck. Even with my air suspension fully raised and the truck on Rhino ramps (which allows me to sit on the floor between the axle and bumper and reach straight in to access the filter), I had no luck. The oil udder has a clever design that works if you have adequate access to a filter from directly (or close to directly) underneath, and that might be the case for 2WD trucks, but it was a waste of money for me.

The only other possibility would be to get the oil udder in position and then stab a hole in the oil filter before removal. It would be tight to get access to the filter to do that while the oil udder is in place, but (theoretically) doing so would allow the oil both inside the filter and trapped above it to flow down. I just don't see this being any easier than using Ziplock bags, which (while a little messy) fit the tiny space around the filter so much better.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's exactly how I was viewing this product. It's a little more rigid than the baggie, but the bulk of it seems like it would make things no easier.

parnine

Reaction score
Did anyone catch in the video the guys says "we rented" a truck for the demonstration? Hope Avis/Hertz/whoever appreciated a free oil change (or maybe he put the old oil back in!)

Doug62

Reaction score
Maybe my 2024 RAM 4X4 truck is different from previous models. I used the oil udder and didnt spill a drop of oil. It does take a little longer to change the oil but the lack of cleanup makes up for it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tried again last month…and failed again. The Oil Udder did great at catching the initial oil spillage. But there’s just not enough room to get the filter out without turning it fully sideways, and that’s not possible until the Oil Udder is out of the way. So I’ll go back to the slightly-less-messy two-bag method.

I fully acknowledge that you all may have figured out a trick that I haven’t. Or am I experiencing a worst-case scenario with 4WD, air suspension, and Off-Road Group?

barrak

Reaction score
Tried again last month…and failed again. The Oil Udder did great at catching the initial oil spillage. But there’s just not enough room to get the filter out without turning it fully sideways, and that’s not possible until the Oil Udder is out of the way. So I’ll go back to the slightly-less-messy two-bag method.

I fully acknowledge that you all may have figured out a trick that I haven’t. Or am I experiencing a worst-case scenario with 4WD, air suspension, and Off-Road Group?

Two bags, one bag and a towel, or an adequately absorbent thick towel would do just fine.

Get in the Christmas spirit and gift-wrap your Oil Udder for a poor soul with a 2WD 1500. 🎅

Dewey

Reaction score
Maybe my 2024 RAM 4X4 truck is different from previous models. I used the oil udder and didnt spill a drop of oil. It does take a little longer to change the oil but the lack of cleanup makes up for it.
Same on my 22. Don’t spill a drop. I’m trying to understand how some can have so many problems with it?🤔

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Me too. It worked great on my 21 Laramie 4x4.
I don’t see A/S or ORG on yours or the past two posters’ trucks. I’m curious to look at a suspension diagram to see how much that affects things. On mine, there’s very little clearance to drop the oil filter vertically; it has to be tilted almost horizontally and squeezed past cables and wiring. It’s easier to lay it on its side and bring it out the front, but of course that means you have to try and catch all of the oil in the filter, too.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I don’t see A/S or ORG on yours or the past two posters’ trucks. I’m curious to look at a suspension diagram to see how much that affects things. On mine, there’s very little clearance to drop the oil filter vertically; it has to be tilted almost horizontally and squeezed past cables and wiring. It’s easier to lay it on its side and bring it out the front, but of course that means you have to try and catch all of the oil in the filter, too.

I didn't have air suspension or ORG, so I can't comment on those making the oil change more difficult. Getting the Oil Udder to squeeze past the steering rack with a filter full of oil was tricky, but it works.

Dewey

Reaction score
I have ORG. Don’t see how A/S would make that much of a difference.

Dewey

Reaction score
I didn't have air suspension or ORG, so I can't comment on those making the oil change more difficult. Getting the Oil Udder to squeeze past the steering rack with a filter full of oil was tricky, but it works.
I use a hose on the Udder to drain into my pan and after slightly dropping down a bit I pour the excess oil out of the filter with a slight tip and then remove everything together.

Users who are viewing this thread