5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Puddle in Garage

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To fix this issue, there is only one answer, which is to do it yourself and use the 2 zip lock bag method. Done it for the last 4 years, haven't spilled a drop, my Rebel has become my cleanest oil change out of all my other vehicles I do.

6of36

Reaction score
To fix this issue, there is only one answer, which is to do it yourself and use the 2 zip lock bag method. Done it for the last 4 years, haven't spilled a drop, my Rebel has become my cleanest oil change out of all my other vehicles I do.
There is a second answer, my remote filter kit comes today.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '95 Chevy Blazer left a bad taste in my mouth with remote oil filters... they were known for leaking/blowing the lines to the remote oil filter.

I changed my oil last weekend on the Ram with a gallon size freezer bag. Zero mess.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Relocating the filter and exposing it to road hazards gives me the heebie jeebies. I lived the exposed filter life once, didn't end well.

6of36

Reaction score
My '95 Chevy Blazer left a bad taste in my mouth with remote oil filters... they were known for leaking/blowing the lines to the remote oil filter.

I changed my oil last weekend on the Ram with a gallon size freezer bag. Zero mess.
That's why I spent more and ordered the Pacbrake unit. Quality factory custom made lines. I don't trust the ones that come with hose clamps.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Blazer lines didn't have hose clamps, they were crimped just like the lines you bought.

Just sharing my experiences with remote oil coolers.

64b1627a5e1a7a351aa761a8fa0d30af.jpg

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Sure, though I'm not a fan of putting on an aftermarket kit that could potentially be failure/leak point, especially with no "Low Oil Level" warning on these trucks. The low oil pressure warning is too little too late.

Factor in it's another excuse the dealership can use against you in case you have an actual engine issue. You can claim the Magnuson-Moss law, but in reality, it's you who will have to prove it wasn't an issue and likely in small claims court since you can't force a dealership to do warranty work on your truck if they don't want to.

So in the end, why the expense and risk all that with an unproven aftermarket relocation kit when a simple zip lock bag used once or twice a year is all you need?

I've done 4 oil changes on my RAM and each one was simple and clean and I still haven't used up the $7 package of zip locks I bought for the task.

Last edited:

TheWaterman83

Reaction score

6of36

Reaction score
The Blazer lines didn't have hose clamps, they were crimped just like the lines you bought.

Just sharing my experiences with remote oil coolers.

64b1627a5e1a7a351aa761a8fa0d30af.jpg
That just looks like a rinky-dink line. The Pacbrake lines look much higher quality. It's just my preference.

Jako

Reaction score
Has anyone thought about going to a decent shop with competent te hs to do an oil change?
I found one while on vacation. The problem is the shop is 2 hours away.
Some experiences
Honda dealership - 4 gts in a 3.7 gt system (not counting oil filter)
Ram dealership - traditional oil on 2nd visit on my Ram
Local - 6 gts in my 5 gt 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Local - over fill 2011 Honda Fit - may not have been critical but I'm not trying for a 3rd
Honda dealership (different than 1st) - tried to sell the wife a brake job - don't know about the oil but I ain't going back

I do use a BMW mechanic who works on the side - great work ethic. Just wait in line for an appointment.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This happened to me with the very 1st oil change. I bitched so hard the stealership sent the shop foreman out to my house to look at it. Granted it was only 6 miles for him, but I told them that I refuse to drive it back to them.
Oil pan drain bolt was tight, filter was on tight, oil level was correct. Simple fact, lazy tech who doesn't care & didn't do his job. Stealership gave me a complimentary oil change & tire rotation.
When I went in for the comp oil change I told the service advisor to be sure to have the tech wipe up his mess or I would be getting another complimentary oil change & tire rotation & I would take my bitching to a higher level & I would go to a different shop.

Edit: the comp oil change was done and no drops of oil on my garage floor... I would do my own oil change but I physically am unable. 😒

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread