5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Puddle in Garage

SaseLee

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced a puddle of oil after an oil change? This is the second time in a row ive gotten an oil change (1st time was at dealer, 2nd at a quick oil shop) and wake up the next day to a puddle on the garage floor. Oil temp and pressure is within the normal spec so I'm not sure if the shops fail to clean up the access or what? I took truck to a car wash that has the underbelly spray and still the next day there was a puddle.

Attachments

• oil1.jpg
    oil1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 28
  • oil2.jpg
    oil2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 28

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I put a large ziplock bag around my filter when removing and not a drop spills on the vehicle. Dealer and quick change oil places probably not as careful as you would be.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are any other trucks around? My shovelhead marks it's territory when other motorcycles are around. It's a dominance play to show who the alpha bike is. Maybe your truck is doing the same thing. Does it smell a little stronger than regular oil?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced a puddle of oil after an oil change? This is the second time in a row ive gotten an oil change (1st time was at dealer, 2nd at a quick oil shop) and wake up the next day to a puddle on the garage floor. Oil temp and pressure is within the normal spec so I'm not sure if the shops fail to clean up the access or what? I took truck to a car wash that has the underbelly spray and still the next day there was a puddle.
yea after an oil change at dealer, they do not clean up.
Have since done my own oil changes

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea after an oil change at dealer, they do not clean up.
Have since done my own oil changes
yes, it's also a good way to check if they actually changed the filter. Either they will leave a big mess or everything is wipped clean. I cought everything still covered in dust after an oil change and knew right thier they didn't change the filter. Was not a good call back to the dealer and the reason I will never go back.

6of36

Reaction score
Are any other trucks around? My shovelhead marks it's territory when other motorcycles are around. It's a dominance play to show who the alpha bike is. Maybe your truck is doing the same thing. Does it smell a little stronger than regular oil?
That's all any Harley is good for, rattles and oil leaks.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
This is why I do my own oil changes, they don't bother to prevent the oil leaking when they remove the filter and apparently they don't care about cleaning it up either.

It's a substantial amount of oil that comes out of that filter when I do an oil change, so I can imagine it will take a while to clear out if it was done sloppily.

Dewey

Reaction score
That's all any Harley is good for, rattles and oil leaks.
That’s so 1970’s AMF days. Back in those years they came with drip pans.😆
Thankfully those days faded away with bell bottom jeans.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I guess you are a rice fan? You know what those third world places fertilize the rice paddies with right? 😉

Well, to be honest, rice would be Japanese or maybe South Korea in regards to motorcycles, neither of which are considered 3rd World.

TSL

Reaction score
Yep, I've had this problem too. I have a Rebel Ecodiesel, and between the front sway bar and the skid plates, it's clearly hard not to make a mess. But they don't clean up after themselves is what bugs me. If I wanted a mess, I'd do it myself ( I hate doing oil changes, no matter the vehicle, I always finish up with oil running down my arm, spilled on the floor etc ! )
After the first time it happened I went back and made them clean it up. Second time ( I've only had 2 oil changes so far ), I asked them to Please clean my truck up, I saw the service write make a note on the paperwork to that effect. But still, there was oil on the floor the next morning. They did a better job, there wasn't much oil, and there was evidence they'd definitely done some cleaning underneath the rig, but there was still some sitting on the skid plate slowly dripping down.

Attachments

• OilOnGarageFloorAfterOilChange.jpg
    OilOnGarageFloorAfterOilChange.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 4

Scram1500

Reaction score
What's the difference between a Harley and a vacuum cleaner?

Dirtbags are on the inside of a vacuum

6of36

Reaction score
What's the difference between a Harley and a vacuum cleaner?

Dirtbags are on the inside of a vacuum
I thought it was they both suck, but I guess that would be how are a Harley and a vacuum alike.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Use to work at Sears back in the day, some techs. are lazy. I always used seat covers, floor mats, and steering wheel covers bc customers are picky about their investment. A little brake clean cleans any splashed oil. It would suck to have a customer have a huge oil spot in their driveway or make a customer drive back thinking the tech left something loose. Take pride in what ever job you have, I did when I worked at Wendy's!

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
All my Mopars do the same thing 😆 oddly enough, except the RAM. I take it to a mom n pop oil change place and in 2 trucks and 5 oil changes, I have yet to see a drop.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Just not a fan of Harleys. Slow, rattle themselves apart, and leak oil everywhere.
Slow? Yes. Oil leaks or rattling apart? I see you have not been on a Harley in decades.

Even the shovel I have is almost 20 years old but based on the old design from way back. Oil still settles in it and it suffers from too much blowing into the tiny catch can on it. Once past that or ridden regularly, the castings do not leak like the AMF bowling ball motors of old.

Don't believe everything you read on Reddit.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
As a lot of people have said, you're probably OK. Whoever did the change didn't clean up after. Where the filter sits, when the old one is removed, it dumps oil all over the steering rack, into a frame cross member, and if the truck has the ORP or is a Rebel it can go into the skid plate. It's probably old spilled oil dripping down.

Users who are viewing this thread