5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Leaking from this - What is it?

Ben33

Reaction score
Trying to get some help with diagnosing the leak. I'm guessing it's oil. Noticed a slow leak and have lost about two quarts judging by the dipstick.

It's dripping off this part, not sure what it is. See attached pics and let me know if you have any direction/wisdom before I take it in.

Thanks

IMG_5550.jpg

Hawk375

Reaction score
Rack and pinion gear by the part number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trying to get some help with diagnosing the leak. I'm guessing it's oil. Noticed a slow leak and have lost about two quarts judging by the dipstick.

It's dripping off this part, not sure what it is. See attached pics and let me know if you have any direction/wisdom before I take it in.

Thanks

View attachment 73138
Is the leak coming from the oil filter? That is right above the steering rack

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You might have a bad seal on your oil filter.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is the leak coming from the oil filter? That is right above the steering rack

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

You might have a bad seal on your oil filter.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Either that or you just changed the oil and didn't clean it off the rack after changing the filter.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's probably coming off the oil filter, I had oil their as well after the dealer changed the oil. I crawed under the truck and tightened the filter and leak was gone. Mine was just a drip though, oil was not low.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Leaking oil filter, not likely the power steering rack since it's electric.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks

View attachment 73138
Oil filter is above that part. I had the same problem....my oil filter wasn't tightened down all of the way.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks

View attachment 73138
I'm no expert, but it looks like it's a 59.

;)

novasteel

Reaction score
I am having this same issue right now? Was it an improperly installed oil filter for you?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am having this same issue right now? Was it an improperly installed oil filter for you?
My issue was a loose oil pressure sensor above the oil filter. Wasnt even hand tight

novasteel

Reaction score
I just had them replace my oil filter as it was loose. I haven't checked the sensor yet as it doesn't appear that there is any residue around it but once it stops raining in the next few days I will take a look at that as well.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My issue was a loose oil pressure sensor above the oil filter. Wasnt even hand tight

Was it this? I was helping a friend with her Laramie and noticed this weeping above her oil filter, I'm assuming that is the oil pressure sensor?

Was your fix just tightening or replacing it? Right now it's just weeping around it, no drips making it down.

Oil Pressure Switch Leaking.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was it this? I was helping a friend with her Laramie and noticed this weeping above her oil filter, I'm assuming that is the oil pressure sensor?

Was your fix just tightening or replacing it? Right now it's just weeping around it, no drips making it down.

View attachment 179941
Yes, that's what it is and I just tightened it some. Mine started out as just a week, but eventually was dripping on the ground. For quite a while I thought the oil filter had a slight leak since the filter was coated during oil changes but no drips.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yes, that's what it is and I just tightened it some. Mine started out as just a week, but eventually was dripping on the ground. For quite a while I thought the oil filter had a slight leak since the filter was coated during oil changes but no drips.

Cool, thanks man, I'll do that, she like me rather handle something so minor at home than the dealership.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cool, thanks man, I'll do that, she like me rather handle something so minor at home than the dealership.
I got about two full turns out of mine and it still wasn't super tight. But I couldn't get connector off and didn't want to twist wires too much. It's been dry ever since

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I got about two full turns out of mine and it still wasn't super tight. But I couldn't get connector off and didn't want to twist wires too much. It's been dry ever since

Wow, that's shocking how loose it got. I guess the wires not being disconnected isn't an issue if it got looser over time (wires would be in the same location since install). Unless it was installed too loose to begin with?

Assuming standard clockwise thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online