5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Location! UGH!

monza2t

Reaction score
If only Mopar would offer a oil filter relocation kit...
Yeah, its too bad the parts for the Durango police oil cooler dont also relocate the filter

The risk to benefit ratio of installing an aftermarket relo kit is too high in my opinion. Adding components of unknown quality that most likely were never durability tested for this specific application as an OEM would do, just to make an oil change less messy is a gamble I'm not willing to take.

I totally agree on this. Love the idea but no clue a to how well it is made ... mostly its the hoses make me reluctant.

Nibis

Reaction score
I haven't been on the board for awhile but wanted to post the PACBRAKE oil relo kit pictures.

I didn't like the lines, but once it's on it's super nice. I never had any luck for the plastic bags or the udder.
Nice !!! I have been wanting to do this. I like this kit, was also looking a the Hamburger Kit, but the Pacbrake looks a little better, slightly cheaper

kymts

Reaction score
So I definitely didn't need to change the oil as my truck only has 100 miles on it but I wanted to get the factory filter off sooner than later. My thought is that if I wait until 5 - 7,000 miles it could become harder to take off. At any rate I just did an oil change and the plug dripping on the sway bar isn't an issue at all - just wipe it off when it's done dripping. I have a 4x4 and the filter is kind of a PITA and you really have to wrench it from the front. I tried the bag thing as I've done with many GMCs that I've owned but it didn't go very well with this Ram. I ended up just breaking (mangling) the filter loose a few turns and letting it drip into the pan I had underneath it. After it was finished dripping, I took a bottle of rubbing alcohol and, from the front, squirted it all over the components that the oil from the filter dripped on. Finished it by wiping those components with an alcohol soaked rag. Looks like new and really didn't take all that much effort. How good rubbing alc is for the steering components? We'll see.

I can perhaps see the bag working for future changes when the filter isn't on as tight as the factory one.

Rubbing alc is my friend anytime I'm working with oily parts. Applied to a rag, it cleans the tools, oil soaked under carriage components, and your hands if needed and it's cheap. Total side note: soak one of your wife's cotton makeup remover discs / pads in alc and put it under your charcoal chimney to start your Q.
My dealership service department is well aware of the problem of oil getting on everything especially the electric steering control. They told me they just clean it up with brake cleaner after the new filter is in.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Nibis

Reaction score
I did an oil change on my truck and my wifes this weekend, :mad: , I really wanted that relocation kit even more

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can just use this for the filter https://www.amazon.com/OIL-UDDER-Magnetic-Flexible-Diameter/dp/B08BWKXD44
And aluminum foil on the bar acting as a funnel.
Still a pain but 99% less mess.
Is your truck a 4WD? I've tried the two bag method and an Oil Udder, and neither has been effective for me. I can catch the initial mess, but I can barely squeeze the filter (on its side) through the lines when removing it...the Oil Udder just trapped excess oil and dumped it all out at once when I tried to work it out of that little cavity.

It's the complete opposite experience of the Fumoto, which makes oil draining a surgical procedure ;)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is your truck a 4WD? I've tried the two bag method and an Oil Udder, and neither has been effective for me. I can catch the initial mess, but I can barely squeeze the filter (on its side) through the lines when removing it...the Oil Udder just trapped excess oil and dumped it all out at once when I tried to work it out of that little cavity.

It's the complete opposite experience of the Fumoto, which makes oil draining a surgical procedure ;)
Yes my 2022 Limited is 4x4.
I have no problem with the oil udder attached to a tube.

I start to spin the filter once the filter is attached (magnet) to the bottom of the filter. Soon as oil starts coming off the sides of the filter I just let it sit for a couple of minutes and eventually unscrew it into the oil udder and bend an electrical cable and take it right down

Not sure how you are trapping oil, sounds like you might of not used it correctly?
You are suppose to connect a pvc tube to the bottom of the oil udder. You only put the cap on for storage.
Sounds like you were changing it with the cap on, which yeah is just going to collect oil and make a mess.

You also talk about the Fumoto, but that's just for the drain plug not filter?
I make an aluminum foil boat (funnel) and place it on the horizontal bar to let it go into the pan. In theory I could just hold a funnel up if I wanted but a Fumoto valve would make the drain plug easier but I personally don't mind it.

If you think these are bad look at my what I need to do on my wife's SUV oil filter.
GMC Acadia Engine Oil Change & Filter Replacement Guide - 3.6L LLT V6 Motor - 2009 To 2016 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions
1675639205550.png
It's a lot smaller in there then it looks also, you can't even turn your hand around once you put it down into the death trap and it's not possible to catch the oil it drains over everything below it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes my 2022 Limited is 4x4.
I have no problem with the oil udder attached to a tube...

...Not sure how you are trapping oil, sounds like you might of not used it correctly?
You are suppose to connect a pvc tube to the bottom of the oil udder. You only put the cap on for storage.
Sounds like you were changing it with the cap on, which yeah is just going to collect oil and make a mess.

Yeah, I used the tube. I know it's supposed to be optional, but it looked to me like it would trap way too much oil if you let it fill up completely. It was spilling because of the angle required to get it out. Maybe I need better lighting to find a different path!

You also talk about the Fumoto, but that's just for the drain plug not filter?
I make an aluminum foil boat (funnel) and place it on the horizontal bar to let it go into the pan. In theory I could just hold a funnel up if I wanted but a Fumoto valve would make the drain plug easier but I personally don't mind it.

Yes, for the drain plug. It was referenced earlier in the thread, so I mentioned it in my post. It's such an easy, clean solution. Run a drain tube into the pan, turn the valve, and crawl away to do other things.

I miss my old GMC pickup's (6.0L) engine configuration. The oil filter was right next to the drain plug. I could drain the oil and change the filter at the same time, using the same pan. It's almost like somebody designed it that way!

Users who are viewing this thread