5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter anti-drain back and bypass valves...?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
⛔⛔⛔️AMMENDMENT⛔⛔⛔
I got to thinking, maybe the oil hadn't completely flowed through when I checked after my test run to warm up oil to 210° and then recheck to Pacbrake fittings for leaks!!
Sure enough, even though 8qts showed right to the top hole (Full) on the dipstick(two days apart), it now shows overfull by about a half quart a week later (good thing I barely used the truck since)..I'll repost when I measure exactly how much drains off to Full mark. (hallelujah for the Fumoto valve) WTF
Being 1/2 qt over filled isn't going to hurt a thing. No need to drain any out. You will easily burn that off before the next oil change.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Being 1/2 qt over filled isn't going to hurt a thing. No need to drain any out. You will easily burn that off before the next oil change.
I figured it's not a huge deal, but since I've got the Fumoto valve, I can drain off until I hit Full and then know precisely how much it takes for when I do the next oil change.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I figured it's not a huge deal, but since I've got the Fumoto valve, I can drain off until I hit Full and then know precisely how much it takes for when I do the next oil change.
Just remember, always check oil with a cold engine on level ground

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's going to be different each time. I never drain the exact same amount of oil and some burns too. Just gota check your dipstick. After a change add 7qt and turn your engine on for 30 seconds and shut it kff and see where it is on the stuck.
You don't let the engine run up to 210 degrees, that's incorrect for a check as it will show you have less oil then you really do as oil is flowing everywhere and not dripping down into the pan

grimloktt

Reaction score
For me with Pancake, 7 qts. Checked cold And vehicle level

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Ready Go

Reaction score
⚠️⚠️⚠️UPDATE⚠️⚠️⚠️

So, this morning I went ahead and drained off some oil with the Fumoto valve into a empty quart oil bottle. Turns out that exactly 16 oz brought the dipstick to just a hair on the topside of the top hole (Full mark) of the dipstick.

So, for my 5.7 Hemi eTorque with a Pacbrake HP10596 relocation kit and a white SRT-MO-041 oil filter, I ended up with exactly 7.5 qts.
(Cold oil and flat garage).

⚠️⚠️⚠️SIDE NOTE⚠️⚠️⚠️

Has anyone else noticed (or maybe I've misunderstood) that the Oil Life Gauge ISN'T designed to change the % based on engine load, idle time, etc...on my truck it literally decreases 1% at every 100 miles...so going from 100% to 0% would calculate to 10,000 miles, which is Ram's advised oil change (mileage) interval.

My previous vehicles that had Oil Life Gauges all changed based on how the engine was used..this gauge really isn't necessary at all if it's just basically a reminder(?).

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed (or maybe I've misunderstood) that the Oil Life Gauge ISN'T designed to change the % based on engine load, idle time, etc...on my truck it literally decreases 1% at every 100 miles...so going from 100% to 0% would calculate to 10,000 miles, which is Ram's advised oil change (mileage) interval.
Yep.
The say it takes those things into account, but nothing ever does, and if it does is never auccurate.
The only real way to know when to change your oil is to get it sent out and reviewed, assuming you don't burn oil and need to add in-between changes too.

The same reason I laugh at the though of a digital oil dipstick, nope nothing can ever go wrong with that and no warranties will get denied because of no oil and a faulty electronic dipstick.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Seems it depends on who you ask, most say hot or cold doesn't matter. I was raised to check oil on cold engine. If you start the vehicle, let it sit for a few minutes before checking to let oil run down. If it's a cold motors no need to wait on oil to drain into pan

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seems it depends on who you ask, most say hot or cold doesn't matter. I was raised to check oil on cold engine. If you start the vehicle, let it sit for a few minutes before checking to let oil run down. If it's a cold motors no need to wait on oil to drain into pan

That's how I was always brought up.
A hot engine will have oil in places still even after being off for 5 minutes that you do not get an accurate read.
I suppose it's better to have too much oil then not enough, yes I know you can damage your engine with either.
With these trucks we got so much oil that it's not a huge dealing being a bit under, but no idea how much over we can be. On smaller engines with less oil reserves it could be more important to have the right about as 1 quart low could be 25% low and 1QT for us is not that big of a deal in it itself.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I agree, but I figured I would post the "official" method. The difference between the two is negligible. I check my oil level cold more than I do when it's hot.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
⚠️⚠️⚠️UPDATE⚠️⚠️⚠️

So, this morning I went ahead and drained off some oil with the Fumoto valve into a empty quart oil bottle. Turns out that exactly 16 oz brought the dipstick to just a hair on the topside of the top hole (Full mark) of the dipstick.

So, for my 5.7 Hemi eTorque with a Pacbrake HP10596 relocation kit and a white SRT-MO-041 oil filter, I ended up with exactly 7.5 qts.
(Cold oil and flat garage).

⚠️⚠️⚠️SIDE NOTE⚠️⚠️⚠️

My previous vehicles that had Oil Life Gauges all changed based on how the engine was used..this gauge really isn't necessary at all if it's just basically a reminder(?).
My Ram makes adjustments based on my driving highway vs city, no towing on my part, very low idle hours, some heavy loads but not often (grown up children). I basically use the Ram for highway trips these days with some Costco, Home Depot runs, minimal city. When the truck was new I drove it mixed. Below is the calculated oil lives based on remaining oil life and miles driven.

81% oil life, 1344 miles, 7073 total miles to oil change, at current driving style (dealership - conventional oil:mad:)
30%................7001.............10000 (college drop offs, pick ups, 800 miles round trip)
38% ...............4428..............7142
36%................4591.............. 7173
45%................5533.............10600 (10000 in this scenario)
59%................4180.............10195 (10000 in this scenario)

I try not to "step on it" and stay within the speed limit, emphasis on try.
There is an older thread on this topic.

Last edited:

Jedi9

Reaction score
My last Ram was a beater, 2008 with a couple hundred thousand miles on it. Hemi with 3:92 gears. When I test drove it the dipstick was dry, 3 qts later still dry. I estimate there was only 2 qts in the engine, yes pressure was a little low till I filled it up. Motor ran superb until I got clocked by a young lady late for work a year later. The 2008 is the reason I'm driving a 2021 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/