5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter anti-drain back and bypass valves...?

grimloktt

Reaction score
So, I just stumbled upon the information that oil filters have anti-drain back and bypass valves. Knowing this information, I question what would be the best or acceptable filters. Obviously, for engine health but perhaps certain filters are better to reduce or eliminate the start up lifter tick? Anyone know?

Thnx!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Any oil filter is fine and made to spec. Oem is fine you can also use oem for the Vipers which is a larger filter. K&N is popular also and I used to run those but changed to the viper for this truck.
Any other comments that try to steer you one way or the other are pointless as this is a topic debated to death.

Good quality oils changed at decent intervals and or sent out for inspection to Blackstone labs is the only reliable source of information for this, not anyone (including my post) should matter for your choice of filter as it's all unreliable information.

grimloktt

Reaction score
Any oil filter is fine and made to spec. Oem is fine you can also use oem for the Vipers which is a larger filter. K&N is popular also and I used to run those but changed to the viper for this truck.
Any other comments that try to steer you one way or the other are pointless as this is a topic debated to death.

Good quality oils changed at decent intervals and or sent out for inspection to Blackstone labs is the only reliable source of information for this, not anyone (including my post) should matter for your choice of filter as it's all unreliable information.
Thank you. I also recently installed the filter relocation kit forward of the axle. I can't remember the brand of the kit but is CNC aluminum, blue and uses two hoses. I'm also researching what larger size filter I should now be considering as I easily have more room...

Edit: A search shows the kit is Pacbrake kit... THnx

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you. I also recently installed the filter relocation kit forward of the axle. I can't remember the brand of the kit but is CNC aluminum, blue and uses two hoses. I'm also researching what larger size filter I should now be considering as I easily have more room...

Edit: A search shows the kit is Pacbrake kit... THnx
This is the viper filter's part number. It is designed for and fits the 5.7 Hemi. It's just a bit wider if you have 4x4 but with your filter relocated it will fit fine
Mopar 5038041AA.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also use the SRT filter that is slightly larger and has stronger bypass valve. The anti-drainback valve is more to keep oil in the filters and not so much in the top end of engine as the oil drains out of top end into the pan, not through the filter.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the viper filter's part number. It is designed for and fits the 5.7 Hemi. It's just a bit wider if you have 4x4 but with your filter relocated it will fit fine
Mopar 5038041AA.
This is the exact same filter, just with the WIX branding, and it's cheaper than the SRT branded one

WIX Spin-On Lube Filter https://a.co/d/gQxHYWd

Ready Go

Reaction score
I can shed some light here....

The mentioned "Viper" filter IS the white "SRT" filter...my spare SRT filter says MO-041on the box and 05038041AA on the filter. This was the same filter I used on my Challenger SRT392. The WIX filter appears to be the same filter..and maybe makes the filters for Mopar, but I noticed that the white WIX filter on Amazon says "Made in Mexico" and my Mopar SRT filter says "Made in Poland" (so maybe I'm shedding too much light or not enough?!)🤣

As to oil volume....

I just installed the Pacbrake HP10596 relocation kit AND SRT M0-041 white filter on my G/T last week and 7qts filled it to exactly the bottom hole on the dipstick (indicating one quart low) and an 8th quart did bring it up to the top (FULL) hole.

So, the PC and SRT filter is 8.0qts to full instead of 7qts.✔️

⛔⛔⛔️AMMENDMENT⛔⛔⛔
When I first topped up the oil to the top hole (Full) it took 8qts.
I drove about 10 miles, got the oil temp up to 210°/43psi, then rechecked oil level and it was at top hole (Full). You guys got me wondering...I just rechecked at the oil level is overfull about a half quart!!! Good thing I barely used it since then..and that I have the Fumoto valve to drain off some oil easily..I'll repost tomorrow just how much drained off to get to top hole (Full).

Attachments

• 20240316_134811.jpg
    20240316_134811.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can shed some light here....

The mentioned "Viper" filter IS the white "SRT" filter...my spare SRT filter says MO-041on the box and 05038041AA on the filter. This was the same filter I used on my Challenger SRT392. The WIX filter appears to be the same filter..and maybe makes the filters for Mopar, but I noticed that the white WIX filter on Amazon says "Made in Mexico" and my Mopar SRT filter says "Made in Poland" (so maybe I'm shedding too much light or not enough?!)🤣

As to oil volume....

I just installed the Pacbrake HP10596 relocation kit AND SRT M0-041 white filter on my G/T last week and 7qts filled it to exactly the bottom hole on the dipstick (indicating one quart low) and an 8th quart did bring it up to the top (FULL) hole.

So, the PC and SRT filter is 8.0qts to full instead of 7qts.✔️
Something to keep in mind the SRT filter is not 8QT. There is literally no physical way to fit 1 quart of oil into an oil filter, let alone the difference in size between a regular vs the SRT filter.
You have extra oil lines you need to fill with oil so will likely match OP due to the oil relocation bracket and lines.

Mopar also changes where their filters are made every once in a while, the MO-041 is the Mopar number and the AA is the part number.
I don't think my recent Mopar filters say made in Poland, but I know they also changed vendors a bit ago too.
Edit: my filter 100% says made in Poland, I still have one from the batch of 3 I bought a year ago.

Last edited:

Ready Go

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind the SRT filter is not 8QT. There is literally no physical way to fit 1 quart of oil into an oil filter, let alone the difference in size between a regular vs the SRT filter.
You have extra oil lines you need to fill with oil so will likely match OP due to the oil relocation bracket and lines.

Mopar also changes where their filters are made every once in a while, the MO-041 is the Mopar number and the AA is the part number.
I don't think my recent Mopar filters say made in Poland, but I know they also changed vendors a bit ago too.
My SRT filter stock is from 2019, so yes some years old and easily could be made in other countries.

I did manage to get 2/3 qt prefilled into the filter before I lost patience in waiting for it to burp fill to the top..I'm sure 3/4 qt would've filled it. I've no idea how much a stock filter holds(?).

I'd advise, definitely don't just take my word as gospel..but my dipstick "told the tale".🤷‍♂️

⛔⛔⛔️AMMENDMENT⛔⛔⛔
My dipstick lied!! Recheck my previous post!! I do have to drain off some oil!!

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My SRT filter stock is from 2019, so yes some years old and easily could be made in other countries.

I did manage to get 2/3 qt prefilled into the filter before I lost patience in waiting for it to burp fill to the top..I'm sure 3/4 qt would've filled it. I've no idea how much a stock filter holds(?).

I'd advise, definitely don't just take my word as gospel..but my dipstick "told the tale".🤷‍♂️
My truck has the 1 dipstick that I ever believe for sure.
Too bad that folks who buy a 2025 will not be able to check the level because no dipstick.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Too bad that folks who buy a 2025 will not be able to check the level because no dipstick.
Wait..what!!??

I've paid no attention to the 25s..I hate engines without dipsticks!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They can check oil level, it will just be a display on the dash, vs a physical dipstick

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

My SRT filters also say Poland, but I have seen several posts on Charger forums confirming the WIX filter is exactly the same. And who knows maybe that's just a stock file photo and the actual filter may say someone. I have two SarT filters in my garage so will be a while before I need to order to find out

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My SRT filters also say Poland, but I have seen several posts on Charger forums confirming the WIX filter is exactly the same. And who knows maybe that's just a stock file photo and the actual filter may say someone. I have two SarT filters in my garage so will be a while before I need to order to find out
I just looked at my actual filter, it says Poland. I ordered it off Amazon if it matters.
K&N is really bad where they make their filters. I once had 3 differnet kinds of the same exact filter. with 2 different made in country codes.
I called K&N and they confirmed they were all legit but like, differnet number of holes, different insides, and paper\plastic inserts.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just looked at my actual filter, it says Poland. I ordered it off Amazon if it matters.
K&N is really bad where they make their filters. I once had 3 differnet kinds of the same exact filter. with 2 different made in country codes.
I called K&N and they confirmed they were all legit but like, differnet number of holes, different insides, and paper\plastic inserts.
WIX definitely makes the SRT filters. They have favorites in the US, Poland, China, Brazil, Ukraine and some other country I didn't recognize

Ready Go

Reaction score
⛔⛔⛔️AMMENDMENT⛔⛔⛔
I got to thinking, maybe the oil hadn't completely flowed through when I checked after my test run to warm up oil to 210° and then recheck to Pacbrake fittings for leaks!!
Sure enough, even though 8qts showed right to the top hole (Full) on the dipstick(two days apart), it now shows overfull by about a half quart a week later (good thing I barely used the truck since)..I'll repost when I measure exactly how much drains off to Full mark. (hallelujah for the Fumoto valve) WTF

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/