5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Change

ponypride

Reaction score
Going to the Dealer tomorrow for my first oil change. Do I have to request a special type of oil or is there a standard synthetic oil that they use?

J4U

Reaction score
For sure ask as I imagine dealers can be different. When I had my first one done where I bought it they were going to do entry level blend oil. Strongly requested they put the full synthetic and at least the printout said they did when I got it back.

Have since resorted to doing my own so I know for sure how things are done.

U

User_6565

Going to the Dealer tomorrow for my first oil change. Do I have to request a special type of oil or is there a standard synthetic oil that they use?

How many miles on the truck for this first change? I don't have it right in front of me but I thought the manual says 10k miles between changes. I don't know if I want to wait that long on the first one, so may do it twice in the first 10k.

ponypride

Reaction score
How many miles on the truck for this first change? I don't have it right in front of me but I thought the manual says 10k miles between changes. I don't know if I want to wait that long on the first one, so may do it twice in the first 10k.
I have 3,700 miles, but the vehicle is 8 months old.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get it changed before 5,000 miles would be my recommendation. Each oil change for the first 2-3 seems to help the engine break in more and increases the MPG.

J4U

Reaction score
I'm just at 8K and will be doing my second (3rd counting dealer 1st change) on or before 9K.

No need to do it so often but for the minimal maintenance cost I shoot for 3K to make me feel better the first few times. Will stretch it out based on driving and conditions towards the 5K but never longer.

J4U

Reaction score
I have 3,700 miles, but the vehicle is 8 months old.
Get-r-done
Mines only 7 months old but obviously do a lot more driving. Keep an eye on the color of the oil periodically. In town driving only really shortens the life, especially as temps go to extremes both ways.

SColang22

Reaction score
First one should be done way sooner. I always do the first one at around 1-2k

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I buy Pennzoil ultra platinum and take it to the dealer along with a mobile 1 extended performance filter. I get an oil change every 6,000 miles.

alangsam

Reaction score
Couldn’t get to the dealer today so I stopped at jiffy lube. Asked for Pennzoil ultra platinum. Tech says they only havepennzoil platinum because jiffylube won’t put in ultra platinum nationally because their experience has been it doesn’t last a full 10k miles which most new car oil service computers under “normal conditions” come on at about 10k miles.
First I heard of this so I called a couple of other jiffylubes and they said the same thing!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Couldn’t get to the dealer today so I stopped at jiffy lube. Asked for Pennzoil ultra platinum. Tech says they only havepennzoil platinum because jiffylube won’t put in ultra platinum nationally because their experience has been it doesn’t last a full 10k miles which most new car oil service computers under “normal conditions” come on at about 10k miles.
First I heard of this so I called a couple of other jiffylubes and they said the same thing!
That’s a ridiculous assertion. “We don’t use the best oil Pennzoil makes because it’s not as good.” What?

(Not blaming you...just calling out misinformation.)

alangsam

Reaction score
It does seem odd. It’s not an issue with Pennzoil as they use platinum as default synthetic. It’s not a one person at one faculty thing it’s at the 3 that I called. Also you would think that they could charge more so it’s not necessarily a money thing.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Don’t forget to throw on a quick-release drain valve when you do your first oil change. It’ll make all future oil changes a breeze.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
As @Ortiz7983 stated above @ponypride , I went to Walmart and bought 7 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 and a Mobil1 filter. They charged me $18 for labor and used my parts. I NEVER let the dealer supply my oil or filter on any car I own and I am much better off for it!

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
T
As @Ortiz7983 stated above @ponypride , I went to Walmart and bought 7 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 and a Mobil1 filter. They charged me $18 for labor and used my parts. I NEVER let the dealer supply my oil or filter on any car I own and I am much better off for it!
That is correct. I ask for my jugs back too after the oil change. I just hate that I have to order the ultra platinum and have it delivered. I can’t find ultra platinum in any store here in Austin. Even the stores that pennzoil website says they sell the ultra platinum don’t have it.

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
It’s my mindset man. Gotta have the best. Just that way I’m wired.
I take in Amsoil Signature to my dealer with a purlator boss filter. They usually charge me $7 in labor but last time didn’t charge me since it was getting the front camera replaced under warranty.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread