5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Change

Rick J

Reaction score
Lots of choices for oil. FCA doesn't "recommend" synthetic but it is OK to use it. Here is a list of some of the products that meet FCA's requirements (MS-6395):

Synthetics
  • Pennzoil Platinum
  • Royal Purple
  • Castrol Edge
  • Halvoline Synthetic
  • Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Conventional
  • Pennzoil (Yellow Bottle)
  • Quaker State Advanced Durability
  • Valvoline (White Bottle)
In general a little less than about half the products over the 5w20 multi grade range are MS-6395 certified. For instance, Castrol’s flagship synthetic, blends and conventionals are not MS-6395 certified. Other companies like Pennzoil and Quaker state have taken the approach of having a synthetic and conventional product certified and opting out on niche products like oils for high mileage vehicles. Running contrary to the pack, Valvoline has almost all it’s products under MS-6395

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does pennzoil ultra platinum even meet oil type specifications for this truck?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. We’re starting to rehash old threads here, all.

What is it that it has to meet again? I’m sure it’s posted somewhere on the quart of oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What is it that it has to meet again? I’m sure it’s posted somewhere on the quart of oil
Look at @Rick J ’s post above. He doesn’t list PUP, but he mentions the spec (and PUP meets it). There are other oils not listed that meet it as well, as has been discussed in the past.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look at @Rick J ’s post above. He doesn’t list PUP, but he mentions the spec (and PUP meets it). There are other oils not listed that meet it as well, as has been discussed in the past.

That’s not what I asked. Discussed in the past or not, I asked what is it that we have to meet. If you don’t want to answer again, fine. I’m still asking. Keep posting that we are talking about the past if you want. Feel free. I’ll keep asking.

Tpreston

Reaction score
That’s not what I asked. Discussed in the past or not, I asked what is it that we have to meet. If you don’t want to answer again, fine. I’m still asking. Keep posting that we are talking about the past if you want. Feel free. I’ll keep asking.

FCA requirement of MS-6395. Is that what you are asking for?

Users who are viewing this thread