5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change interesting (bad) info from dealer

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Many will just use conventional motor oil. It's best to change your oil every 6 months unless you're sure they are using synthetic.

Maybe, but of the dealerships I've seen around here, none of them offer a conventional oil change, all oil changes are synthetic oil.

The very few that DIY their own oil changes usually don't skimp on the oil, with a $50-60K truck, especially when a 5 quart jug of synthetic can be had for $25 at Walmart.

Bob.

Reaction score
My dealer gives me free oil changes for life ( to the original purchaser) a perk to buy from them. They don't use synthetic in the free oil change perk. They put a sticker on the windshield next change is 6 months or 3000 miles what ever comes first.
They didn't even put a mopar filter on it last time. I know because I looked.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My dealer gives me free oil changes for life ( to the original purchaser) a perk to buy from them. They don't use synthetic in the free oil change perk. They put a sticker on the windshield next change is 6 months or 3000 miles what ever comes first.

Your dealer didn't even use a Mopar filter? That's interesting.

Bob.

Reaction score
Your dealer didn't even use a Mopar filter? That's interesting.
They screwed on a black filter. I got my mirror out and it read Microgard.

If I found an orange Fram on the motor, they would have had issues. Fram looks nice but that's it.

U

User_3336

They screwed on a black filter. I got my mirror out and it read Microgard.

If I found an orange Fram on the motor, they would have had issues. Fram looks nice but that's it.

Isn't MicroGuard O'Reilly Auto Parts house brand?

U

User_3336

Microguard is made by Wix I've heard. It sells for $5 a piece. O'Reilly is not around here so I can't say.
I checked...

As with any store brand, O’Reilly’s partners with established oil filter makers.

O’Reilly Auto Parts partners with filter conglomerate Mann+Hummel to produce their standard MicroGard oil filters, specifically with Wix and Purolater, two companies M+H acquired within the last decade.

standard MicroGard Spin-on filters are made in Mexico but standard MicroGard drop-in filters are made in Korea.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I just watched some videos where the reviewers disassembled different brands of oil filters to show the build quality. Most filters are pretty well made, but some brands are pretty bad. Mobile 1 and Fram filters stood out as the worst. There was a little bit of quality variance within brands too. I noticed that some of the manufacturers use glue to join the ends of the media together and a few of them had failed on unused filters. I can't imagine installing a brand-new filter with a gap in the media and running 5-10,000 miles worth of unfiltered oil through my engine. The standard (black) Microguard filters use glue to join the media. I wouldn't be happy with a Ram dealership that used that filter on my truck. Ram dealerships should run OEM filters, IMO and if they don't, they should tell you.

Bob.

Reaction score
I watched this video a while back and just found it to share here. This guy says by cutting them open "they are very similar"

The car community says Wix are great filters.

Bob.

Reaction score
You got to watch dealers like a hawk.

Years ago my first brand new car was a 82 Caprice. Nice car, sold it to my parents a few years later. Found trucks were a better fit for me. After a lengthy road trip, had the oil changed at the dealer where I bought the car, when I got back home. That chevy dealer screwed up the oil change and blew the valve cover gaskets after a trip to Maine for a funeral for my grandmother. They over filed the crankcase and it started leaking all over both sides of the engine. Took them 3 tries under the warranty to fix it.

Never trusted dealers since then, and that was 40 years ago. Nothing really changed with dealers since. They BS you about anything to make a sale. The service will usually suck because of the inexperienced low quality mechanics and sometimes aftermarket parts that the independently owned dealerships use to save a buck.

One thing I learned, cars will run until the warranties expire then you better be ready to replace them or learn how to fix them. Manufactures know exactly how long any part will last, and they don't build any part to last outside the warranty. 3 YRS or 36,000 miles. Why? they want you back to buy another super duper awesome best truck / car ever made. We live in a disposable society.

40 years ago they bragged about 21 MPG. New technologies that incorporate radial tires, aerodynamic shapes etc. My new Ram don't even get that with the aid of computers, thin sheet metal and plastics.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I watched this video a while back and just found it to share here. This guy says by cutting them open "they are very similar"

The car community says Wix are great filters.

Yeah, I watched that video. The major difference was how the ends of the media were attached. Otherwise, the filters are similar. I'm sure the chance of getting a filter with a failed glue seam is low, but it would still make me wonder if I got a bad one.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just watched some videos where the reviewers disassembled different brands of oil filters to show the build quality. Most filters are pretty well made, but some brands are pretty bad. Mobile 1 and Fram filters stood out as the worst. There was a little bit of quality variance within brands too. I noticed that some of the manufacturers use glue to join the ends of the media together and a few of them had failed on unused filters. I can't imagine installing a brand-new filter with a gap in the media and running 5-10,000 miles worth of unfiltered oil through my engine. The standard (black) Microguard filters use glue to join the media. I wouldn't be happy with a Ram dealership that used that filter on my truck. Ram dealerships should run OEM filters, IMO and if they don't, they should tell you.
So are you thinking FCA makes their OEM filters?

Goldsy

Reaction score
That’s because they can’t get them. My dealership is having the same issue. They can’t get mopar filters and have been using wix filters.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Just curious, has anyone ever had their warranty voided on any vehicle they have ever owned simply because the oil wasn't changed precisely as recommended...or used a different type of oil?

Florida RAM

Reaction score
I change my oil every 6 months & I drive roughly 1,000 miles per month. I look at the indicator before I bring it in just to see what it says, but I still bring it in every April & every October every year no matter what % is left.
That is a personal decisions. Not doing that will not impact the warranty.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
I get semi synthetic at the dealership which is what is required to keep my warranty. FCA does not require synthetic so why waste the extra money on it? I got conventional up until a few years back when FCA changed the rules. I've averaged driving 1,000 miles per month for 10 years now, so 6 months = 6,000 miles for me.
I don't get it. You are going to the expense of changing the oil every 6 month no matter the mileage, but cheaping out on semi-synthetic oil?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
That’s because they can’t get them. My dealership is having the same issue. They can’t get mopar filters and have been using wix filters.
Maybe, but I just checked the place I bought mine on Amazon and they're in stock. I checked a couple of local stores and they have them too.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
You got to watch dealers like a hawk.

Years ago my first brand new car was a 82 Caprice. Nice car, sold it to my parents a few years later. Found trucks were a better fit for me. After a lengthy road trip, had the oil changed at the dealer where I bought the car, when I got back home. That chevy dealer screwed up the oil change and blew the valve cover gaskets after a trip to Maine for a funeral for my grandmother. They over filed the crankcase and it started leaking all over both sides of the engine. Took them 3 tries under the warranty to fix it.

Never trusted dealers since then, and that was 40 years ago. Nothing really changed with dealers since. They BS you about anything to make a sale. The service will usually suck because of the inexperienced low quality mechanics and sometimes aftermarket parts that the independently owned dealerships use to save a buck.

One thing I learned, cars will run until the warranties expire then you better be ready to replace them or learn how to fix them. Manufactures know exactly how long any part will last, and they don't build any part to last outside the warranty. 3 YRS or 36,000 miles. Why? they want you back to buy another super duper awesome best truck / car ever made. We live in a disposable society.

40 years ago they bragged about 21 MPG. New technologies that incorporate radial tires, aerodynamic shapes etc. My new Ram don't even get that with the aid of computers, thin sheet metal and plastics.
You sound like a grouchy, old man. You can't compare an 82 Caprice with anything made this century. If Rams were built to fail at 36,000 miles, nobody would buy them. Yes, stuff breaks....but the reliability of modern vehicles is pretty amazing, especially considering the power, comfort, size, and economy you get compared to vehicles from 20-30 years ago. V8 Rams in the 90s packed about 200 HP.

Bob.

Reaction score
So are you thinking FCA makes their OEM filters?
Of course not. However you expect a certain standard of excellence when they are warranting a vehicle. Aftermarket filters are fine, however I expected an authorized Ram dealership to put on Ram filters.
All dealerships are snakes. They BS you at the time of sale, then they do things like this.

Users who are viewing this thread