5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil catch can

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m running 2 of the Amazon specials, they are branded “speed wow” but I’m sure they have a bunch of different brands for the same thing. For being cheap, the quality of the actual can is great, I made custom brackets and ran different hoses but the can itself is worth the price. View attachment 153345
i have the same exact cans. i had to buy barbed 5/8 to 3/8 adapters and modify my brackets as well but no reason to buy a $200 catch can lol

and am i crazy but is tthat a BOV i see?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i have the same exact cans. i had to buy barbed 5/8 to 3/8 adapters and modify my brackets as well but no reason to buy a $200 catch can lol

and am i crazy but is tthat a BOV i see?
That's why I got the $50 one with the bracket designed for Hemi engines. No modifications required

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Not sure if it matters, but any thoughts on the 2 options I've seen for the filtration media in the various catch cans? Some use a bronze filter while others use stainless steel. I'm definitely considering add a catch can to my truck, but it's hard to justify a $200+ mishimoto versus some of the under $50 ones I've seen on Amazon. Not trying to start a brand war, but looking for thoughts, especially on the filter media.

davidn0021

Reaction score
Not sure if it matters, but any thoughts on the 2 options I've seen for the filtration media in the various catch cans? Some use a bronze filter while others use stainless steel. I'm definitely considering add a catch can to my truck, but it's hard to justify a $200+ mishimoto versus some of the under $50 ones I've seen on Amazon. Not trying to start a brand war, but looking for thoughts, especially on the filter media.
I don't think it really matters which brand to go with, they all work the same.. more or less.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the Amazon can. The Amazon can on my beater had parts I assumed were anodized (angled internal baffles), but turned out to be painted. It wrinkled up and flaked off blocking the output, not sure if some went into the intake. Also the O ring is not compatible with petroleum and swelled, no longer making a proper seal
Screenshot_20230301_105214_Photos~2.jpg
Screenshot_20230301_105325_Photos~2.jpg

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Until it is.. no reason to give your dealer a reason to deny any warranty service you may be going in there for .. 5 mins to remove can save yourself the headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the Amazon can. The Amazon can on my beater had parts I assumed were anodized (angled internal baffles), but turned out to be painted. It wrinkled up and flaked off blocking the output, not sure if some went into the intake. Also the O ring is not compatible with petroleum and swelled, no longer making a proper seal
View attachment 153380
View attachment 153381
Looks like one of the cheap universal ones that I avoid because the baffles aren't very good. A good catch can will have two separate baffle chambers, and won't have a screw or nut holding it together.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Until it is.. no reason to give your dealer a reason to deny any warranty service you may be going in there for .. 5 mins to remove can save yourself the headache.

If a dealer tries to deny a warranty based on what is basically an air filter on the PCV lines then I will be immediately taking my vehicle back and finding a competent dealer for future work

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If a dealer tries to deny a warranty based on what is basically an air filter on the PCV lines then I will be immediately taking my vehicle back and finding a competent dealer for future work

You rather go through all that that take 10 mins to remove and reinstall it after…okay

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
View attachment 153380
View attachment 153381
This is part of the reason I went with the Mishimoto CC. Some of the cheaper options don't even offer pics of what's inside the can, offer much (if any kind) of warranty, or are fly-by-night operations. Another reason I went with the name brand can is because it was designed specifically for the 5th gen Ram 1500. None of the cheaper products I looked at were specific to my truck. Not needing to fab up a mounting system is worth something to me.

To those of you either consciously or subconsciously trying to shame those of us who paid $200 for a Mishimoto...admittedly, I didn't research some of the cans mentioned here, and they're probably just as good as what I bought. But my time is also valuable to me, so once I found an acceptable solution I ordered one and moved on. I'm happy with my $200 decision.

davidn0021

Reaction score
This is part of the reason I went with the Mishimoto CC. Some of the cheaper options don't even offer pics of what's inside the can, offer much (if any kind) of warranty, or are fly-by-night operations. Another reason I went with the name brand can is because it was designed specifically for the 5th gen Ram 1500. None of the cheaper products I looked at were specific to my truck. Not needing to fab up a mounting system is worth something to me.

To those of you either consciously or subconsciously trying to shame those of us who paid $200 for a Mishimoto...admittedly, I didn't research some of the cans mentioned here, and they're probably just as good as what I bought. But my time is also valuable to me, so once I found an acceptable solution I ordered one and moved on. I'm happy with my $200 decision.
Pretty much my same reasoning. I don't have hours or days to spend on working on the truck and whatever time I do have, I want to be able to bolt on and just have it work without fiddling too much. Additionally, if something goes wrong, I have a warranty and a legit company I can deal with in resolving issues versus chasing down sellers that may or may not exist in the next 12 months. Peace of mind is worth spending the extra $ to me. But do what makes you most comfortable and if not spending a ton of money on a simple oil catch can is completely your prerogative and decision. No one should fault you for it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You rather go through all that that take 10 mins to remove and reinstall it after…okay

I'm not worried about "going through" anything. But, yes, if I go to a dealership that is that trivial, I would actually like to know so I can avoid them in the future. My last two visits to dealer I didn't even remove my TazerDT and they said nothing, and didn't try to deny any warranty

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much my same reasoning. I don't have hours or days to spend on working on the truck and whatever time I do have, I want to be able to bolt on and just have it work without fiddling too much. Additionally, if something goes wrong, I have a warranty and a legit company I can deal with in resolving issues versus chasing down sellers that may or may not exist in the next 12 months. Peace of mind is worth spending the extra $ to me. But do what makes you most comfortable and if not spending a ton of money on a simple oil catch can is completely your prerogative and decision. No one should fault you for it.
There really shouldn't be anything on a catch can that would need a warranty if it's constructed well. Which you should be able to determine before it's even installed. Maybe the lines themselves, but if i need to replace those, a quick visit to local parts store takes care of that.

I'm not saying Mishimoto is a bad catch can, but you are paying more for the Mishimoto name than anything. It's the same as most other catch cans being sold for a specific application. A universal can with an application specific bracket to mount it. They probably have $20 in parts in the kit and sell it for $200

Not trying to shame anyone for buying it, more like trying to educate people in what catch cans are and what a good price for one is. Other than brand loyalty, or being able to say you have X brand part, there really is no reason to spend more money on a name brand, as it offers no benefits over cheaper option

davidn0021

Reaction score
There really shouldn't be anything on a catch can that would need a warranty if it's constructed well. Which you should be able to determine before it's even installed. Maybe the lines themselves, but if i need to replace those, a quick visit to local parts store takes care of that.

I'm not saying Mishimoto is a bad catch can, but you are paying more for the Mishimoto name than anything. It's the same as most other catch cans being sold for a specific application. A universal can with an application specific bracket to mount it. They probably have $20 in parts in the kit and sell it for $200

Not trying to shame anyone for buying it, more like trying to educate people in what catch cans are and what a good price for one is. Other than brand loyalty, or being able to say you have X brand part, there really is no reason to spend more money on a name brand, as it offers no benefits over cheaper option
Everyone has their own reasons for choosing which product they want to buy/use. I felt Mishimoto had a good mounting system out of the box so I didn't really dig too deep. I took a look at some of the other brands that have been mentioned and doing some quick Google searches didn't yield much information so I opted to go with a known brand for my reasons I outlined. Whether or not a part or piece is easily replaceable as a DIY solution wasn't part of my calculus so it was a simple decision for me. Again, to each their own and I'm perfectly happy with my purchase.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haha...you actually are and don't know it. In one breath you say you aren't trying to shame anyone, and in the next you say there is no other reason to spend that much on a name brand besides the two reasons you view as valid. There actually are other reasons, they just apparently aren't valid in your eyes. Offering information to people about products is great, and one of the things a forum is good for. There just seems to be a bit of "tude" coming from you towards thos of us who spend more, and you aren't aware of it. I've been guilty of that myself, and I'm trying to work on that. As a moderator you might want to do the same. I'm glad you're happy with your catch can. Let us be happy with ours.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks Scram1500 - hope it didn't do any damage to your truck.
Different car thankfully. It's attached to an old Kia that's an oil burner. I splurged on the Mishimoto for my Ram

Looks like one of the cheap universal ones that I avoid because the baffles aren't very good. A good catch can will have two separate baffle chambers, and won't have a screw or nut holding it together.
It was cheap even by Amazon's standards, but it works for the banger I use it on

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not worried about "going through" anything. But, yes, if I go to a dealership that is that trivial, I would actually like to know so I can avoid them in the future. My last two visits to dealer I didn't even remove my TazerDT and they said nothing, and didn't try to deny any warranty

I guess because you haven’t had an issue w/ your servicing dealer we should all follow suit gotcha.

Guess this is one of these to each his own.. I’ll take the 10 mins to remove/reinstall if I’m needing warranty work performed to avoid the potential headache. I don’t mind conflict when necessary which this shouldn’t be.

Hopefully HSKR is there to hold your hand if any of you guys have an issue w/ your servicing dealer it’s the least he can do.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haha...you actually are and don't know it. In one breath you say you aren't trying to shame anyone, and in the next you say there is no other reason to spend that much on a name brand besides the two reasons you view as valid. There actually are other reasons, they just apparently aren't valid in your eyes. Offering information to people about products is great, and one of the things a forum is good for. There just seems to be a bit of "tude" coming from you towards thos of us who spend more, and you aren't aware of it. I've been guilty of that myself, and I'm trying to work on that. As a moderator you might want to do the same. I'm glad you're happy with your catch can. Let us be happy with ours.
I guess I don't understand the reasoning. I'm all about saving money on parts without sacrificing quality. And that's my stance on these. I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. Just as much as you see my comments as "shaming" most of the responses as to "why" those who bought the more expensive options come off as trying to justify their choice, as opposed to supporting it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess because you haven’t had an issue w/ your servicing dealer we should all follow suit gotcha.

Guess this is one of these to each his own.. I’ll take the 10 mins to remove/reinstall if I’m needing warranty work performed to avoid the potential headache. I don’t mind conflict when necessary which this shouldn’t be.

Hopefully HSKR is there to hold your hand if any of you guys have an issue w/ your servicing dealer it’s the least he can do.
No need for hand holding. I hope most of us here are secure enough to handle things themselves. I'll continue to avoid dealers that may try to deny warranty over trivial things, you can continue to worry about doing anything to your truck. I hope you also buy all your replacement parts to include oil filters, air filters, and other wear items from the dealer to avoid issues.

Users who are viewing this thread