5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil catch can

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Every two weeks? :oops:
It's a pretty small can compared to others. And depending on how many miles he drives, it could be needed. One of the reasons I like the drain valve in mine. Makes it easy to empty

Slippy's Dad

Reaction score
Coming from a non-engine guy; I've seen these talked about quite a bit and probably should have had one on my '13 Ford F-150 EcoBoost that I sold to get the Ram. I've watched a bunch of YT videos that show the installation to be pretty simple. If I go with one with the drain valve, is there a spot to attach the drain hose and valve?
Any concern with voiding any manufacturer warranty by installing one?

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coming from a non-engine guy; I've seen these talked about quite a bit and probably should have had one on my '13 Ford F-150 EcoBoost that I sold to get the Ram. I've watched a bunch of YT videos that show the installation to be pretty simple. If I go with one with the drain valve, is there a spot to attach the drain hose and valve?
Any concern with voiding any manufacturer warranty by installing one?
install is quite simple but it was the removal of the stock hoses that got me. For some reason it was a PITA for me even with only 3k miles on the clock. Reinstalling new hoses was a breeze, especially if you can grease the fittings before attaching the hoses.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
install is quite simple but it was the removal of the stock hoses that got me. For some reason it was a PITA for me even with only 3k miles on the clock. Reinstalling new hoses was a breeze, especially if you can grease the fittings before attaching the hoses.
I didn't have a hard time with my hoses. It was hot outside which likely helped.

I got some plyers for the hoses, but I haven't tried them yet so I can't comment on if they actually help but the reviews seem to think so.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't have a hard time with my hoses. It was hot outside which likely helped.

I got some plyers for the hoses, but I haven't tried them yet so I can't comment on if they actually help but the reviews seem to think so.
it was quite chilly the day I worked on it. Chilly per southern commiefailnia standard, somewhere around 50s I think lol that's probably it.

Those plyers should help big time. Those are what we use at the shop when we can find them (shop shared tools go missing all the time and magically show up when they are no longer needed). but when i did the catch can i was at my friend's warehouse lol

davidn0021

Reaction score
I have the Mishimoto can myself and after 2 years and about 3 oil changes, finally drained it. Ended up being about 8oz and also dumped out some of the thicker gunk at the bottom, but I agree that I'd rather have that sludge in the catch can then recirculated back through my intakes. Install was straightforward and I did it on a warm spring day. Well worth it, IMO.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I installed the Mishimoto can and added a valve from a catch can I had on previous 4th gens I owned. The valve threaded right into the threaded port in the bottom of the Mishimoto can with no adapters needed. IIRC the valve came off a Moroso catch can.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Mishimoto can myself and after 2 years and about 3 oil changes, finally drained it. Ended up being about 8oz and also dumped out some of the thicker gunk at the bottom, but I agree that I'd rather have that sludge in the catch can then recirculated back through my intakes. Install was straightforward and I did it on a warm spring day. Well worth it, IMO.
I probably wouldn't go so long without emptying it. If the can is full, then it would block the PCV lines from doing their job, and you may actually end up sucking in some of the fluid from the can itself.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't go so long without emptying it. If the can is full, then it would block the PCV lines from doing their job, and you may actually end up sucking in some of the fluid from the can itself.
Depends on the can. My can is huge.

Generally you empty it the same time you do your oil change.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the can. My can is huge.

Generally you empty it the same time you do your oil change.
Guess it depends on how often you change your oil. I empty mine about every 2k miles just to keep track of it. Do 5k oil changes, but also empty when doing oil change. I definitely wouldnt wait a while year if you don't drive often, or ever go 10k miles. I've had a Billet Tech can fill completely up in less than 6k miles during colder winter months.

Klink

Reaction score
Just changed my oil today and drained this from the catch can, looks to be about, 3oz I suppose. People can say whatever they want about catch cans, my truck would’ve gained no benefit from running this back through the intake.
View attachment 153275
Yup. I don't see any downside to using these so I've installed them on my hemi vehicles.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only downside… remove it if you need dealer service, avoid the potential headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

raygun9

Reaction score
If anyones looking for a used BT one Im selling mine. PM me if interested.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

KPeak

Reaction score
I’m running 2 of the Amazon specials, they are branded “speed wow” but I’m sure they have a bunch of different brands for the same thing. For being cheap, the quality of the actual can is great, I made custom brackets and ran different hoses but the can itself is worth the price. 517B5FF0-4947-4A1A-9522-BA23F13CA82C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread