5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil catch can

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I disagree on this as
Easiest is none at all.
Only two reasons you'd need one. Direct injected and forced induction.

Other than that you are capturing water vapor with a small amount of oil entrained. Neither is that big a deal.
I have over a pint of oil from my catch can with just under 35k miles and that means that oil has not gone into the intake nor around the valves or plugs. In my opinion cleaner is better.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
In 6.5k miles in my Ram I collected 7oz of oil. I put it in at 2200 miles when I did my first oil change (I didn't get my truck home until the 1900 mile mark as I drove it home from the dealership).
View attachment 152548
I always drain and weigh whatever I take out, and attempt to see what it is. Sometimes I get all oil, sometimes half water, sometimes a mix like a coffee with a bunch of creamer in it.

These are not GDI engines so a catch can is not required per say, but it does help prevent earlier required cleanings.

On GDI engines catch cans almost almost required because the oil and crud goes in and doesn't get sprayed to get cleaned. You can just look up catch cans for more info.

This is what I pulled out of my Silverado (I installed the can at 23.3k miles after the MAF sensor needed to be removed and cleaned to remove a check engine code)
View attachment 152546
Is there a reason why it's different every time you empty it? I have the same issue with mine, just curious why this is happening?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is there a reason why it's different every time you empty it? I have the same issue with mine, just curious why this is happening?
It's not an "issue" like HSKR said.

I live in MA and I get all 4 seasons of weather so you can see when and how many miles.

During the cold winter months I get more water, due to condensate just nauturally happening, ice etc.

In the summer months it's just pure oil essentially.

The most important thing about what you extract with the catch can is.... Nothing because anything except air is going to make things dirty so it's all a win.

If anyone is on the fence about a catch can, just remember that you can keep it forever. A good catch can will never rust, never age, never have a problem. Get something good now and just keep swapping it when you get another truck, that's what I did. I really like how mine has valves I can turn to extract the liquid. I CAN take it apart to fully clean but there just isn't a need.

2022-01-06 10.50.06.jpg 2022-01-06 10.50.11.jpg 2022-11-28 16.14.30-2.jpg 2022-11-28 16.14.49-2.jpg

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Someone brought up a great point so now I'm seeking American made catch can. It's bad enough there's already parts in our trucks from china, I don't want to add any more.
Probably going with billet.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BT and Speedlogix basically the same (except the engraving).. I’ve used both problem with BT well at at least years ago.. was the wait time on parts. Don’t expect to order anything from them and get it within a decent time frame. Speedlogix had a lot of items in stock. Theres was some feuding between them years ago for copying etc. all this was from years ago when I had my 4th gen Ram and LX Charger so things might of changed.

This reminds me I need to locate said catch cans and throw one on the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
for clarification:
I ordered by BT the Monday after Thanksgiving. They shipped it out by the end of week and I received it a month and half later due to signature requirement. USPS attempted 3 deliveries and all 3 were when I left for work already, so they sent it back to BT. I had BT resend it to my office and all is well. If there was no signature requirement I'd receive it within 2 weeks of ordering.
Make sure you put shipping address to somewhere you can sign for it when you order. Or request no signature requirement.

Limited Legend

Reaction score

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
The way I see it is, no matter how miniscule the amount of oil or whatever else these cans catch, it's better than burning it in the combustion chambers. Plus for the hundred or two bucks they cost they should last a lifetime

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Different driving conditions, different humidity levels. Different air temp.
It's not an "issue" like HSKR said.

I live in MA and I get all 4 seasons of weather so you can see when and how many miles.

During the cold winter months, I get more water, due to condensate just naturally happening, ice etc.
Thanks for the info, that makes sense.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
this is what i use.

surprising how much crap it catches.
What I have as well, transferred it from the Challenger I had. The Ram seems to accrue much more fluid than the Challenger did, though part of that may be that the truck spends more time idling (didn't drive the Challenger much in the Winter).

Users who are viewing this thread