5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offroad shocks vs standard shock ride quality

myram2019

Reaction score
Is there an actual difference in the shocks in the ORG package other then the 1" lift.
I was towing a trailer and it felt very rough and bumpy. Was expecting a smoother ride.
I drove a non ORG for two months and I feel the ride was much better without offroad package.
Thinking the ORG was a mistake :(

What do you guys think ?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there an actual difference in the shocks in the ORG package other then the 1" lift.
I was towing a trailer and it felt very rough and bumpy. Was expecting a smoother ride.
I drove a non ORG for two months and I feel the ride was much better without offroad package.

What do you guys think ?

They are HD shocks but some claim the smoothness is identical between the two. I have a Limited with ORG and do think it is a slightly stiffer ride than the non-ORG I test drove. I was thinking I'd made a mistake for a few days but quickly got over it. I'm in the same camp as @SpeedyV now thinking that the ORG does give a slightly firmer, more planted feel and love it.
You can also play around with tire pressure. My dealer delivered with 32 psi and that was way too mushy for me. I now drive around with 45 front and 35 rear but you may prefer less for smoother ride.

klail

Reaction score

What do you guys think ?
I don't think there is a significant difference although I have the ORG, so as @Edwards said, I am probably just used to it. I remember test driving a limited without the ORG and it seemed smooth but was it smoother than than mine?? Doubt it. Not in any significant way.

myram2019

Reaction score
Without a trailer its not that bad. I only noticed it when i connected my trailer to the truck.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are HD shocks but some claim the smoothness is identical between the two. I have a Limited with ORG and do think it is a slightly stiffer ride than the non-ORG I test drove. I was thinking I'd made a mistake for a few days but quickly got over it. I'm in the same camp as @SpeedyV now thinking that the ORG does give a slightly firmer, more planted feel and love it.
You can also play around with tire pressure. My dealer delivered with 32 psi and that was way too mushy for me. I now drive around with 45 front and 35 rear but you may prefer less for smoother ride.
Agreed on the impact of tire pressure; this (and the tire choice itself) has just as much impact on ride quality.

DanSkan

Reaction score
I have the Limited with Air Suspension and ORG. The ride is a littler stiffer with the ORG because the shocks are "extra" HD shocks vs HD shocks and the 1" ride height increase is achieved by more air in the suspension to raise it 1 inch higher in normal mode - the same height as non ORG trucks OR1 height mode.

The AT tires may also make a slight difference.

Jackham

Reaction score
The Heavy Duty aspect for off road has to do with handling heat with repeated action due to things like uneven terrain. It has very little to do with actual stiffness.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Heavy Duty aspect for off road has to do with handling heat with repeated action due to things like uneven terrain. It has very little to do with actual stiffness.
Do you know anything about the actual shock absorber design differences? I'm not being facetious...I'm curious to know the differences in specifications.

DanSkan

Reaction score
I agree that HD shocks are about heavier duty handling heat and higher durability but also about more rebound and compression dampening - so I would assume that "extra" HD shocks would have even more rebound and compression dampening than HD shocks contributing to a "stiffer" ride

Jackham

Reaction score
I agree that HD shocks are about heavier duty handling heat and higher durability but also about more rebound and compression dampening - so I would assume that "extra" HD shocks would have even more rebound and compression dampening than HD shocks contributing to a "stiffer" ride
Actually not necessarily.

Dustyteeth

Reaction score
20" wheels will also ride stiffer than 18“ wheels at the same air pressure as there is less side wall. I've found that as little as 3psig makes a big difference in the ride on 20's.

myram2019

Reaction score
20" wheels will also ride stiffer than 18“ wheels at the same air pressure as there is less side wall. I've found that as little as 3psig makes a big difference in the ride on 20's.
i will check my air pressure and see if it mkes a difference. I am waiting on my rims as i have new tires, I hope that makes a difference too.

Last edited:

myram2019

Reaction score
I search and I search and cant find any good information or comparison between the difference of the two shock. All i find is opinions and no hard facts.

myram2019

Reaction score
So i finally checked tire pressure. I ASSumed that the dealer checked and adjusted everything. Well the air pressure in the tires was 42 psi. My sticker says 32 psi front and back. I let out air and set at 32. The ride is a lot better. Will see if it makes a difference with the trailer. Thanks

Dustyteeth

Reaction score
So i finally checked tire pressure. I ASSumed that the dealer checked and adjusted everything. Well the air pressure in the tires was 42 psi. My sticker says 32 psi front and back. I let out air and set at 32. The ride is a lot better. Will see if it makes a difference with the trailer. Thanks
I'm running mine @ 35 psig as I think 32 psig is a little too soft for me.

A10

Reaction score
I have an ORG air ride Laramie and got used to the stiff ride. Rented a big horn out of state and was surprised on how good the ride quality was.
I’m ok with it though. I like that I can barrel over pot holes and train tracks without any problems.

bigrodent

Reaction score
I have 4x4 Laramie with the ORG, Air Ride and 18" wheels with the ORG's standard Falken Wildpeak AT tires. Under 50 MPH it rides super smooth. Somewhere above 65 it seems that things stiffen up hitting road seams and cause a really stiff ride. My tires were at 39-40 front and rear just as the dealer had them set. If I go lower than 38 the TPM starts yelling at me. Is it possible that the HD shocks are stiffening because it is hitting the road seams at the higher rate of speed with more overall force? As for the 1" lift, at this point I am in Aero mode which should be the same as the non ORG trucks. The bags should be squishy still no?

I test drove the Rebel at higher speeds and it was much better. Would the Bilsteins handle this scenario better? Are the Duratracs a better ride?

Does anyone know what brand/model the Ram "HD" shocks are?

All advice and opinions appreciated!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have 4x4 Laramie with the ORG, Air Ride and 18" wheels with the ORG's standard Falken Wildpeak AT tires. Under 50 MPH it rides super smooth. Somewhere above 65 it seems that things stiffen up hitting road seams and cause a really stiff ride. My tires were at 39-40 front and rear just as the dealer had them set. If I go lower than 38 the TPM starts yelling at me. Is it possible that the HD shocks are stiffening because it is hitting the road seams at the higher rate of speed with more overall force? As for the 1" lift, at this point I am in Aero mode which should be the same as the non ORG trucks. The bags should be squishy still no?

I test drove the Rebel at higher speeds and it was much better. Would the Bilsteins handle this scenario better? Are the Duratracs a better ride?

Does anyone know what brand/model the Ram "HD" shocks are?

All advice and opinions appreciated!
You might start by setting your pressure a bit lower and then resetting your TPMS before driving anywhere to avoid any warnings. Beyond that, I’m not sure I’ve experienced the highway behavior you’ve mentioned. It’s entirely possible that the Bilsteins perform better in fast-response, low amplitude conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread