5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offroad Group

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha love it. I'm more of the type of guy in a room full of people that is the only one that would stand up and ask questions, while everybody else just nodds their head at whatever the speaker says.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Good. We need more of those types. Less go along to get along.
That means you're probably also open to learning things - another thing we need more of.

Further to the above on your part number research:

"My research shows that part number for front and rear shocks are different from non offroad trims vs off road trims. (This part is true). So the 1" inch is from the shocks.(This part is not.)"

Reason why some folks are buying the ORG springs from parts departments or as takeoffs from other owners is because, apples to apples, achieving a lift with increased spring length is ideal over achieving a lift via spring preload. If the ORG and non-ORG pack springs were identical no one would be seeking out the ORG pack springs. Spring rate also plays into this, but I've not seen specs on whether the rate differs between ORG and non.

For an on-road vehicle where the emphasis is in preseving ride quality, the hiearchy of preferred methods for attaining lift would be:
Spring Length > Rate > Preload.

A shock alone can only adjust preload by manipulating spring perch height. And this applies only to coil over suspensions (e.g. not Wranglers or rear suspensions).

I've even seen folks getting the ORG pack springs and putting them on the Bilstiens, so that they can run the 5100s at a lower perch theoretically improving the ride quality since they can get away with less preload.

ORG also includes different Shocks, yes, hence the different part number. But because they are valved differently, as advertised in Ram marketing materials calling them "HD Shock Absorbers...".

On the Jeep you didn't have to deal with any of this because the front suspension does not use a coil over design. The spring and shock are completely separate assemblies. But oddly I'd have expected that to have reinforced the notion that the lift is all in the Spring - because no matter what shock you put on a Wrangler, no lift is happening until you modify the spring or add a spacer/puck to it.

Either way, just adding detail since it sounds like you are curious about it, and since this is a forum after all and someone may review down the road for their curiosity as well.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha love it. I'm more of the type of guy in a room full of people that is the only one that would stand up and ask questions, while everybody else just nodds their head at whatever the speaker says.

Or or
everyone else (we) are nodding our heads because we understand what everyone is saying, and have at least a very basic understanding of how suspensions work and how our STOCK
Ram OFP vs non is setup and lifted and are trying to help.

And now we are all shaking our heads when you start comparing aftermarket setups. JUST to save face and call us all wrong.

You are exactly the type of person that asks questions, that makes us all sit on our hands and say no, nope, and never reply.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We can close this thread.

Before it turns into a far right group that can only think one way...and that's the only way to think.

No more free thinking around here.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Before it turns into a far right group that can only think one way...and that's the only way to think.

Me thinketh thou doth project too much.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When it comes to suspensions, I'm more of a Progressive (spring) guy than far right. I dont actually care whether the spring sits on the right or the left, as long as the vehicle doesnt lean too far in either direction.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If you can't handle being corrected, then yes, maybe we do need to close this thread. Has nothing to do with anyone political leanings, and any further attempt to bring politics into this discussion may result in a short vacation.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can't handle being corrected, then yes, maybe we do need to close this thread. Has nothing to do with anyone political leanings, and any further attempt to bring politics into this discussion may result in a short vacation.
Like I said...you can close the thread. No need to keep going.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The OP had a very valid question. No sure why this thread needs to be closed?🤔

I say keep discussing and fully figure out the answer to his question. It seems to come up often.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The OP had a very valid question. No sure why this thread needs to be closed?🤔
No admin is going to close it unless it gets completely off rails or turns political.

As far as OPs question, sure, it was valid, but after being answered correctly by multiple knowledgeable members, OP continued to argue the facts with his own unfounded theory

Users who are viewing this thread