5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official thread for pictures of Ram towing campers

mbarnes536

Reaction score
Here is mine, Jayco 224BH with a BlueOx TrackPro WD hitch

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
c5386c8b65a24901ba1cccf6d6490656.jpg

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Okay, I've seen these set ups local, and I've always wondered this: what do you do when you need to back up?:unsure:

You back up in the opposite direction you would have if you had a single trailer; and go very slow. Total mind bender until you get used to it. Farmer kids learn pretty early while backing up hay wagons.

Not for me though, that setup (though impressive) would stress me out!

834k3r

Reaction score
You back up in the opposite direction you would have if you had a single trailer; and go very slow. Total mind bender until you get used to it. Farmer kids learn pretty early while backing up hay wagons.

Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I could never back that set up.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I've seen these set ups local, and I've always wondered this: what do you do when you need to back up?:unsure:

Back up.

It's tricky for sure but I've had to back out of a fuel island at a 90* before when some butthead blocked my egress. Short backs are not bad, the longer ones require some real finesse.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Tows great. In some cases, it's smoother and more stable than without the boat.

We have a FB group with 3K members now all double towing (or planning). The guys running the Class 8 trucks, 45' toyhaulers and 23' surf boats are really impressive.

blakei

Reaction score
Dragonmaster13, nice setup! Looks like we have a similar bike rack. Did you build yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Dragonmaster13, nice setup! Looks like we have a similar bike rack. Did you build yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, superstrut rails on the bed sides, 1.5"x1.5" galvanized cross bars and swagman upright bike racks on top. Works great and added less than 100lbs to my unit, excluding weight of bikes.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What's the weight rating for the camper's rear hitch vs. tongue weight of the boat?

Sorry didn't see this.

Custom built hitch is rated to 500/5K but I wouldn't push it past the 300/4K I'm running now without upgrading the trailer suspension. Factory rep said the frame was good to 5-6K pull/stop but I've seen others have issues without reinforcing the pinbox area and front end. The 300 is well within the total GVWR of the fifth wheel when wet and ready for a week's outing and I'm 10K under the GCWR of the truck (HO/AISIN). I have about 700lbs of payload left with genset, hitch, pin weight, 50 gals of fuel, people and gear all loaded.

New factory (same or larger) GDRV models since 2019 are coming with tow rated hitches 300/3000 or 350/3500.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry didn't see this.

Custom built hitch is rated to 500/5K but I wouldn't push it past the 300/4K I'm running now without upgrading the trailer suspension. Factory rep said the frame was good to 5-6K pull/stop but I've seen others have issues without reinforcing the pinbox area and front end. The 300 is well within the total GVWR of the fifth wheel when wet and ready for a week's outing and I'm 10K under the GCWR of the truck (HO/AISIN). I have about 700lbs of payload left with genset, hitch, pin weight, 50 gals of fuel, people and gear all loaded.

New factory (same or larger) GDRV models since 2019 are coming with tow rated hitches 300/3000 or 350/3500.
That's impressive. I only asked because I know the hitch that came on the back of my camper would never handle anything like a boat. I'm even hesitant to put a couple bikes on it, despite having something like a 150# rating. Of course, I'd never have the guts to hitch a trailer to a trailer!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's impressive. I only asked because I know the hitch that came on the back of my camper would never handle anything like a boat. I'm even hesitant to put a couple bikes on it, despite having something like a 150# rating. Of course, I'd never have the guts to hitch a trailer to a trailer!
The "hitch" that came on it was not tow rated and really only good for a bike rack or genset at most.

Our FB group has near 4K members that are all about double towing. Guy local to me is pulling a 23" surf boat (6k?) behind a Solitude and has had the frame repaired/reinforced twice now. Latest round was triangulation gusset plates on the front neck. He does also go off pavement with the Solitude.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
R-pod 178 Averaged about 12mpg on an 800 mile trip (about 5mpg's lower than when not towing). This is a new truck with 2,000 miles on the odometer and reading the manual it stated the following-
CAUTION:
  • Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
  • Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.
I was in compliance with the 1st but the 2nd point is pretty difficult to follow when traveling on the interstate. I went smooth and easy of acceleration and stops and stayed at or under 60mph for the trip and was driving in one of the flattest places on earth so am not concerned! The integrated trailer brake controller worked awesome.

20210725_082153.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread