5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Built to Serve Thread

Do you own a Built to Serve edition w/ the 0249AC springs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

glen325

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m in the BTS club too with a 2020 Bighorn I got about a month or so ago now. I really enjoy it and have done some of the modifications people discuss here and really enjoy learning about our trucks and sharing info...pretty cool topics on this forum. You can see my modifications in my signature, so won’t list them again but here are a couple of pictures. View attachment 60723 View attachment 60724 View attachment 60725
Do you have any rubbing issues on the front? Did you have to trim? I had a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn I put this lift on with 35s, on the factory wheels and I had a little rubbing. I just got into a BTS and am looking to do the same lift again, but was probably going to go with a little smaller tire. Your rig looks good!

ZCoffman

Reaction score
Question for the others that got their recall done, what was your change in height? did you have any issues? How many of you have had it done so far?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question for the others that got their recall done, what was your change in height? did you have any issues? How many of you have had it done so far?
Just from what I've seen on Facebook and here. Most people got 1" across the board and have had no complaints with ride quality afterwards. I changed my shocks at the same time so I refrain from commenting but my truck rides as good as stock if not better.

So far I've only seen one person have a negative experience with ride after getting the right springs put on.

Warmonkey497

Reaction score
I measured from the bottom of the fender directly in line with the center of the wheel, down to a flat and level surface (my garage). After the recall(they replaced all 4 springs), I picked up 1.25" at each wheel. I'm running 275/60/20 BFG KO2's and the current measurements using the above points are 37.75 front and 40.00 rear. I'm installing Bilstein 5100 Monday and will update after they are installed. The ride feels much better to me with just the new / correct springs & I have to go over speed bumps at least twice a day. The front end always felt a bit soft to me but finally found out why with the recall. Hopefully it will get even better with the new Bilstein's installed.

ZCoffman

Reaction score
Just from what I've seen on Facebook and here. Most people got 1" across the board and have had no complaints with ride quality afterwards. I changed my shocks at the same time so I refrain from commenting but my truck rides as good as stock if not better.

So far I've only seen one person have a negative experience with ride after getting the right springs put on.
I'm that 1 in a few thousand :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Just my luck too, well hopefully Ram and my dealership figure it out. Thanks for the feedback.

Wookie0323

Reaction score
Ok....So I didn't get a tonneau cover because I thought I was going to get a back rack of some sort. Mostly because I liked the look of them. I am coming to realize that a tonneau cover would give me more beneficial use on a day to day basis. So I ask, hard or soft cover? Pros and cons from your personal experience?

Ogamus

Reaction score
I have a built to serve, in tank. I want my wheels to stick out...I’m a noob...after looking at pictures I want 35 plus and 12.5 width how can I accomplish this? Plz help lol

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a built to serve, in tank. I want my wheels to stick out...I’m a noob...after looking at pictures I want 35 plus and 12.5 width how can I accomplish this? Plz help lol
I believe 35x12.50R20s is the max tire size you can run with just a front leveling kit. There might be some rubbing. Anything larger than 35’s will probably require a lift kit.

Also, if you have the front parksense sensors, there have been reports that anything 35”+ will cause them to not function when you go to recalibrate the speedometer.

I’m sure somebody with more knowledge will chime in 👍

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Attached is a thread compilation, doesn't answer your question directly but gives you plenty of info from fellow members. Have to figure your needs and price range. I was at the extremes using a $260 Extang Black Max for 2+ years before making a final decision and biting the bullet for a DiamondBack HD.

There have been additional Tonneau cover threads after this compilation. If you have questions about the covers reach out to the forum. Best of luck on your decision.

Ok....So I didn't get a tonneau cover because I thought I was going to get a back rack of some sort. Mostly because I liked the look of them. I am coming to realize that a tonneau cover would give me more beneficial use on a day to day basis. So I ask, hard or soft cover? Pros and cons from your personal experience?

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve always been a fan of the hard covers over the soft. I’ve had BAKFlips on all my trucks, and have never had an issue with them. Currently have the MX4 on my current truck. The only slight water leaking I get is near the top of the tailgate, but that’s due to the design of the tailgate and not a flaw of the cover.

I like the design of the BAKFlips (and many other brands have similar designs) as each panel of the cover locks to where it offers many configurations depending on how much of the bed you need covered based on what you’re hauling. It also folds completely against the back of the cab window allowing full use of the bed. Some covers have a smaller fixed panel at the beds bulkhead which can be a limiting factor depending on what you’re hauling.

TravisJ

Reaction score
I am a soft roll up kind of person. I just like the fact it can pretty much not exist in a matter of 30 seconds or completely cover the bed if I want.

The biggest downside is security. Technically someone could take a knife to it...but that is anywhere from really unlikely to pretty much a non existent concern depending on where your truck is stored and goes in a day.

I think I like some of the hard flip up covers more than a soft roll up one...but I don’t find much benefit personally to go spend 3x as much. It all comes down to personal needs and budget.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am a soft roll up kind of person. I just like the fact it can pretty much not exist in a matter of 30 seconds or completely cover the bed if I want.

The biggest downside is security. Technically someone could take a knife to it...but that is anywhere from really unlikely to pretty much a non existent concern depending on where your truck is stored and goes in a day.

I think I like some of the hard flip up covers more than a soft roll up one...but I don’t find much benefit personally to go spend 3x as much. It all comes down to personal needs and budget.
Soft roll up snap cover for 20+ years, never a problem with theft or access. Be careful with soft roll ups if the rolled cover rests against the cab as there is real potential for rubbing resulting with paint damage.

With today's portable tools (battery and hydraulic) any cover can be accessed readily. Time and probably noise would be in the favor of the more secure covers and prevent the "opportunist" thief. Funny thing is many of the covers are probably worth more than what is inside the bed.

20GatorBTS

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just bought a leftover 2020 Built to serve in gator color. Will not get to see or get it until a few weeks because of these Covid lockdowns in Canada.... Anyways, the dealer checked last night and sure enough, it doesn't have the right springs so they ordered the parts and will be installing them.
Now, I did not get the chance to read all 63 pages of this post, yet, but Im thinking of maybe lifting the front a lit, since they'll be in there anyway. I tow a travel trailler a lot in the summer months so I don't think I want a full level, but thinking maybe 1 inch in the front.
Are shocks the way to go? Anyone with a BTS and 33 inch tires here that could poste pics of there truck?

ZCoffman

Reaction score
Excuse me????? Are you kidding me? This is the answer I get for my truck going from a clean crisp ride quality to a bouncing piece of junk..... Apparently I made a mistake going to the dealership here in town. This is a joke, I drive the same path of road every day and to go from crossing the railroad tracks that I cross every day where it is a simple bloop and steady as she goes to a huge bounce and basically making me question if the suspension is going to bottom out? No.... Replace the struts and be done with it.... Or better yes, is it a preload spacer that is needed? or anything for that matter.... Just because the dealer putted around and hit small bumps and was satisfied doesn't mean it is fixed.... This really chaps my rear..... Like are you kidding me? $50k for a truck to rides like an old caddy on the interstate and can't handle big bumps anymore after you swap my springs? Not a soul on this forum would accept that.

@RamCares This is your Case Manager that you pawned me off to. I'm sorry I've built offroad racers, I have built drift cars, I have built drag cars, I have built Rock crawlers, I have a current built car that I plan to road race. I think I know suspension just a little bit. This suspension isn't ok. This suspension is dangerous in the wrong hands, especially at highway speeds. Fix it. Not asking for the world. I dropped off a truck that road really nice and had a nice crisp feeling to it that I knew like the back of my hand. I expect the same in return when I get it back. If you can't deliver that then we need to discuss you guys buying the truck back from me and me going to a different brand.

This is for public view. - I'll post a video of my truck and of the test drive I go on later today.
Hi:

I have been advised that the shocks were inspected carefully and none of them have any leakage and the rebound on all of the shocks were proper at the time Dealership inspected vehicle.
There is nothing to indicate that there is anything wrong with the shocks at this time to justify replacement.

I apologize but the vehicle is within specs at this time so no repairs will be done.

I will be closing the case at this time.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us anytime at and a new case can be opened for you.

Lori
Stellantis Case Manager
I apologize for the rant. Just annoyed that this is how Ram wants to handle it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Do you have any rubbing issues on the front? Did you have to trim? I had a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn I put this lift on with 35s, on the factory wheels and I had a little rubbing. I just got into a BTS and am looking to do the same lift again, but was probably going to go with a little smaller tire. Your rig looks good!

So i have a 2021 Big Horn crew cab, i put rough country control arms on the front and the rough country leveling strut and heavy duty rear springs in the back , all together the truck is level now. so if i stay with a 20" rim, What size tire can i go up to without rubbing?

Rjshoaff1

Reaction score
Wheels came in this week and I put them on!!! Really happy with the look and the ride! (Only after 100 miles tho lol)
22 inch 4play wheels P40
Toyo open country ATlll 33x12.50

Attachments

• 65255FA9-0F9D-4A6C-8DDE-B8E905166BA4.jpeg
    65255FA9-0F9D-4A6C-8DDE-B8E905166BA4.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 70DD1A7C-DD4A-4839-B918-DF8C7AFBB9A2.jpeg
    70DD1A7C-DD4A-4839-B918-DF8C7AFBB9A2.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 115
  • FE9F31AF-9E26-41BD-8E7C-32D5B28522AE.jpeg
    FE9F31AF-9E26-41BD-8E7C-32D5B28522AE.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 262B1CA4-C852-4838-BB0F-9DD4AAF2A0C0.jpeg
    262B1CA4-C852-4838-BB0F-9DD4AAF2A0C0.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

ZCoffman

Reaction score
Excuse me????? Are you kidding me? This is the answer I get for my truck going from a clean crisp ride quality to a bouncing piece of junk..... Apparently I made a mistake going to the dealership here in town. This is a joke, I drive the same path of road every day and to go from crossing the railroad tracks that I cross every day where it is a simple bloop and steady as she goes to a huge bounce and basically making me question if the suspension is going to bottom out? No.... Replace the struts and be done with it.... Or better yes, is it a preload spacer that is needed? or anything for that matter.... Just because the dealer putted around and hit small bumps and was satisfied doesn't mean it is fixed.... This really chaps my rear..... Like are you kidding me? $50k for a truck to rides like an old caddy on the interstate and can't handle big bumps anymore after you swap my springs? Not a soul on this forum would accept that.

@RamCares This is your Case Manager that you pawned me off to. I'm sorry I've built offroad racers, I have built drift cars, I have built drag cars, I have built Rock crawlers, I have a current built car that I plan to road race. I think I know suspension just a little bit. This suspension isn't ok. This suspension is dangerous in the wrong hands, especially at highway speeds. Fix it. Not asking for the world. I dropped off a truck that road really nice and had a nice crisp feeling to it that I knew like the back of my hand. I expect the same in return when I get it back. If you can't deliver that then we need to discuss you guys buying the truck back from me and me going to a different brand.

This is for public view. - I'll post a video of my truck and of the test drive I go on later today.

I apologize for the rant. Just annoyed that this is how Ram wants to handle it.
this is like 3-4 bounces to stabilize out where before it barely even shrugged at this bump. This is why I'm upset, that set of tracks I've gone over at least 500 times in the last year going to and from work. Being told there is nothing wrong when I know that ride is what bugs me the most. Soon as I get as chance to test drive a truck of theirs I'll show the video of what it's supposed to be like.

Wookie0323

Reaction score
Added protection and color to my headlights. Had too many in the past fade and crack.

Attachments

• 20210502_165926.jpg
    20210502_165926.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210502_173757.jpg
    20210502_173757.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20210502_165933.jpg
    20210502_165933.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210502_173805.jpg
    20210502_173805.jpg