5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off road suspension or air suspension

Kasp

Reaction score
What is the difference between suspension off road and air suspension and which is better?

knightro84

Reaction score
With air suspension, you have normal ride height, aero (drops the truck 6/10” from normal at highway speeds), entry/exit mode (drops the truck 2” from normal for easier entry/exit), off-road 1 (raises the truck 1.2” from normal) and off-road 2 (raises the truck 2” from normal).

With the off road group, the truck gets a 1” lift over normal ride height using heavy duty struts and shocks.

Not sure if one is really better than the other - you’d have to think about what you’d be using the truck for to decide what would be better for you and your situation.

Kasp

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply. Do you know if the off road suspension is smooth or really bumpy like a gmc sierra 2500 HD?

knightro84

Reaction score
I haven’t driven a truck with the off-road group yet, but from what others had said here it is a little stiffer than the normal suspension - but definitely not anywhere near as stiff as a 3/4 ton truck.

XDBrad

Reaction score
The 2019 Ram off road package (suspension) rides like a Cadillac compared to any GM truck 1500 or 2500. I am a GMC 1500 convert and don’t regret it a bit, the ride being one of the largest selling points to me.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Rebel (coil susp) is smooth as silk over little bumps. I recently had a Chevy Sierra as a loaner and me and my family couldn't wait to get our Rebel back... that Chevy was terrible and it was a 2017 with 23000klm/14000 miles on it.

Ram has the best standard suspension in my opinion.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the difference between suspension off road and air suspension and which is better?
If you're in a very cold environment, I would seriously recommend you not get the air ride. It's a fact, it will fail after 2 or 3 winters. There have been no substantial updates to the air ride for years and the fact that they still use Continental parts is a red flag. Air ride is great for access and wow factor... but it's not for cold climates.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're in a very cold environment, I would seriously recommend you not get the air ride. It's a fact, it will fail after 2 or 3 winters. There have been no substantial updates to the air ride for years and the fact that they still use Continental parts is a red flag. Air ride is great for access and wow factor... but it's not for cold climates.

IIRC:
- In general, don't almost all air suspensions (non-big-rig kind anyway) have issues in the cold? I think I recall this from another rebel board, someone brought it up
- I think the problem start around 0 degrees Celsius.
More time/wear and tear, more cold = more likelihood of an issue.

I want to keep the next truck forever if I can, I'm opting for springs for that reason.
That and payload doorsticker availability.
That and lift-ability.

But I will say that air suspension was absolutely awesome at leveling loads and being comfortable.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI....the Off Road Package is available on the Air Suspension but isn't required. The Air Ride with ORP gets beefier shocks and the 1" lift just like the Spring truck with ORP. The AS with ORP has 4 heights vs 5 for the non-ORP trucks.

As far as long term reliability, nothing beats springs. My Jeep Grand Cherokee's Air Suspension ran 5 years with no issues or signs of wear....but I live in TN. It saw 5°F several times but not for days on end. We do stay below freezing for several weeks at a time. Nothing like up North though. The ice is brutal and builds up under the chassis since it's real slushy down here where the ground rarely freezes hard.

th3duke

Reaction score
IIRC:
- In general, don't almost all air suspensions (non-big-rig kind anyway) have issues in the cold? I think I recall this from another rebel board, someone brought it up
- I think the problem start around 0 degrees Celsius.
More time/wear and tear, more cold = more likelihood of an issue.

I want to keep the next truck forever if I can, I'm opting for springs for that reason.
That and payload doorsticker availability.
That and lift-ability.

But I will say that air suspension was absolutely awesome at leveling loads and being comfortable.

I had the 2015 Outdoorsman Ecodiesel with air suspension, and never had any issues with it here in Quebec. Even at -40 Celsius I never encountered an issue, and it's always parked outside (never in the garage). That said, I have heard numerous complaints from other people having issues at that those temperatures (I guess I was lucky). Anyway, that's why I chose the air ride again for my 2019 Rebel. I just love the abilities of the air suspension (loading, highway, off-road and ride). Although the bulletproof option is definitely steel for extreme off-road and dependability.

th3duke

Reaction score

I had mine 4 years without issues, and they must of changed something because the ride is quite a bit more stiffer than my 2015. I can't prove that they changed anything for air (appart from different part numbers), but it's definitely faster at up/down and a bit stiffer.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had mine 4 years without issues, and they must of changed something because the ride is quite a bit more stiffer than my 2015. I can't prove that they changed anything for air (appart from different part numbers), but it's definitely faster at up/down and a bit stiffer.
I'm glad you didn't endure the nightmare that thousands of us have experienced with air ride in extended extreme cold. It's not for me to convince anyone, I have no vested interest in the promotion of failed air ride, I just speak from experience and fact. I've battled for a recall and have seen many Canadian customers buckle under the heavy foot of FCA. We don't have lemon laws here to protect us. We have Canvap and private lawsuits, but who has the ability to fight a major manufacturer that denies a customer compensation... I don't.

If you see -30° once a year, your air ride will probably last more than a few years. If your winter is 5 months long, I wish you all the best. Best to order that coil conversion kit now... it's only a matter of time.

I wish I still had the picture I took two years ago, of 26 Rams at one local dealer, all in different odd angles with failed air ride systems waiting for the same answer. Sorry, we can only thaw and recharge the system.

But I digress, we're all big boys and can judge for ourselves. I just hate when the "I told ya so's" start to come out.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I heard the closed loop nitrogen system is redesigned and that it is more powerful so it can lift the truck faster. The pump sounds louder than my Jeep GC which shared the same system as the previous Ram.

th3duke

Reaction score
I'm glad you didn't endure the nightmare that thousands of us have experienced with air ride in extended extreme cold. It's not for me to convince anyone, I have no vested interest in the promotion of failed air ride, I just speak from experience and fact. I've battled for a recall and have seen many Canadian customers buckle under the heavy foot of FCA. We don't have lemon laws here to protect us. We have Canvap and private lawsuits, but who has the ability to fight a major manufacturer that denies a customer compensation... I don't.

If you see -30° once a year, your air ride will probably last more than a few years. If your winter is 5 months long, I wish you all the best. Best to order that coil conversion kit now... it's only a matter of time.

I wish I still had the picture I took two years ago, of 26 Rams at one local dealer, all in different odd angles with failed air ride systems waiting for the same answer. Sorry, we can only thaw and recharge the system.

But I digress, we're all big boys and can judge for ourselves. I just hate when the "I told ya so's" start to come out.

I live in western Quebec (Gatineau area), and we have quite a few more days colder than -30 Celcius. I have heard the numerous issues some owners experienced, and I can only provide my experiences with it. The real issue for me was the Ecodiesel (a total piece of $h%!), they replaced the first engine at 60,099 KM, and that engine had a catastrophic failure less than 2,000 KM later. Luckily for me this happened when it was under warranty, but was about a month without a truck for the numerous issues I had with the Ecodiesel system (EGR, DEF, and Catastrophic failures).

Because of my experiences with the Air ride, I purchased the option again. As such based on how this truck's suspension feels and works (way faster than before and stiffer ride), I can only suspect that some improvements have been made.

Attached are the "averages" for Chelsea for temps. https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/forecasts/statistics/quebec/cantley

Temperature_Stats.JPG Temperature_Stats_WPG.JPG

Last edited:

th3duke

Reaction score
I heard the closed loop nitrogen system is redesigned and that it is more powerful so it can lift the truck faster. The pump sounds louder than my Jeep GC which shared the same system as the previous Ram.

It is definitely quicker, although I didn't notice much of sound difference.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is definitely quicker, although I didn't notice much of sound difference.
Probably just the Jeep being quieter due to mounting differences. My Limited sounds louder...but the bed resonates the sound of the pump. Since you owned a prior model Ram, I defer to your expertise,

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in western Quebec (Gatineau area), and we have quite a few more days colder than -30 Celcius. I have heard the numerous issues some owners experienced, and I can only provide my experiences with it. The real issue for me was the Ecodiesel (a total piece of $h%!), they replaced the first engine at 60,099 KM, and that engine had a catastrophic failure less than 2,000 KM later. Luckily for me this happened when it was under warranty, but was about a month without a truck for the numerous issues I had with the Ecodiesel system (EGR, DEF, and Catastrophic failures).

Because of my experiences with the Air ride, I purchased the option again. As such based on how this truck's suspension feels and works (way faster than before and stiffer ride), I can only suspect that some improvements have been made.

Attached are the "averages" for Chelsea for temps. https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/forecasts/statistics/quebec/cantley

View attachment 8103 View attachment 8105
Sorry, didn't want to start a pissing contest over who's winter is colder. And I didn't intend to insult you, or your inherent luck with your air ride equiped Ram. I hope you stay warm and have a great winter this season in your new Rebel, they are a hell-of-a-truck!

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I don't doubt anything you owners/former owners of Ram's air-suspension say, because I don't have mine yet (waiting on 6'4" Ram Box option). But I live in southern California, so temperature shouldn't ever be a problem for me. Still, I'm trying to glean all of the real-world experience I can from others, because I see no point in paying $1200 extra for a less-than-reliable air suspension when Ram's half-ton coil-spring suspension gets such high marks too.

What puzzles me is that Ram had (or still has) any problems with air suspension at all. As others have pointed out, big-rig trailers (semi trailers and doubles), as well as class-8 highway tractor rear suspensions, have been using air-bag suspension for decades, and at least from what I can see as a regular motorist, they sure seem to work well. Maybe once every few years I'll see a semi-trailer leaning to one side because the air suspension is malfunctioning or broken. I can't ever recall seeing a class-8 highway tractor with a busted/malfunctioning rear suspension. Not saying they don't fail once in awhile, but here in SoCal I see tens and tens, some days hundreds, of big-rigs every single day on I-5 or the other huge freeways around here, and almost never see anything wrong with their suspensions. So why does Ram's air suspension have a less-than-stellar reputation for reliability & longevity? It's puzzling to me. And for sure you'd think Ram would get it right on the 2019's second-generation air-suspension system.

Similarly, does anyone know of issues with the rear air-bag helpers on the heavy-duty Rams? Is that system related to the half-ton air-suspension at all?

Thanks to each of you who have given valuable feedback and insight into the half-ton Ram air-suspension system based on your real-world experiences.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The HD Rams use a different setup. It's strictly a load/level assist. Your average HD doesn't have problems with air assist, because that's all it is, assist/level... the overall ride quality isn't dependent on it working.

Try taking an off ramp at 60mph and the front and rear drivers suspension hits the bumpstops, with your wife and two small children in the truck. I'm not the only one according to the Transport Canada complaints against FCA.

That's the difference.

th3duke

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't want to start a pissing contest over who's winter is colder. And I didn't intend to insult you, or your inherent luck with your air ride equiped Ram. I hope you stay warm and have a great winter this season in your new Rebel, they are a hell-of-a-truck!

No need to apologize at all. I strongly believe we would remiss in not having these discussions so that the next person that wants to purchase one of these, makes an informed decision. Although having this discussion definitely reminds me that I need to purchase the extended warranty. :)

Take care, and thank you for the kind words.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread