5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFF Road Recovery Gear Opinion

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Soft shackles won't give you a lifetime of use compared to steel. They are also more expensive for quality pieces. What they do give you is significant weight savings and ease of use. For casual users, they may be not be the best use of your hard earned dollars. But, if you want something light and durable, the soft shackle rules. TRE ( Tactical Recovery Equipment ) makes some quality gear, if looking.

The argument for soft shackles is there is not a heavy piece of steel flying around if a shackle or tow hook disconnects or comes apart or a tree or rope breaks. It is also softer on pieces it is connecting to. Give the cost of just travel to go off-road, plus starting with a $50k-$65k truck with another $2.5k of wheels and tires plus a lift/level...somehow this doesn't seem expensive. Then there are air compressors, tire deflators, traction mats, jacks (exhaust bags, bottle jacks, high jacks, the ARB hydraulic toe jack), etc....no shortage of things to spend money on.

Cable dampers are another think rarely discussed. I did see on video where the off-roader used 5lb ankle weights. They easily stay on the cable or rope and have the needed weight.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
You'd be better off using something like in post #16. The hitch pin will bend more than likely the way you have pictured.

Last edited:

cra1g

Reaction score
You'd be better off using something like in post #16. The hitch pin will bend more than likely the way you have pictured.
^^^ This. It'll certainly work...once. But you could bend the pin enough that you have to cut it to get it out, or you could distort the shape of the holes or the receiver itself. The pin is a lot stronger against shearing (like when there's a shackle mount inserted in the receiver) than it is against bending.

cra1g

Reaction score
I haven't looked but there is likely somewhere on the frame that one could attach a proper pull point. Unfortunately, most manufacturers do not account for pulling from the rear.

If you do this, it would be a good idea to use factory bolt holes, so that you don't weaken the frame by drilling or welding. It would also be a good idea to distribute the load across both rails instead of just one. I'll bet you could come up with something that will work, and I'll bet it will look suspiciously like the factory receiver hitch.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^ This. It'll certainly work...once. But you could bend the pin enough that you have to cut it to get it out, or you could distort the shape of the holes or the receiver itself. The pin is a lot stronger against shearing (like when there's a shackle mount inserted in the receiver) than it is against bending.
Your advice is well received, there are better options.
Been there done that with a bolt as a hitch pin pulling out a stump and a concrete clothes line base. Hopefully I'm done with those type of "projects".

Attachments

• tree root Nicholas.JPG
    tree root Nicholas.JPG
    284.7 KB · Views: 132

TR4_

Reaction score
I personally like the K72 Rope by Guardian of Bravery

They also make their recovery gear in the USA

I have been using the 1/2''

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Look at some of the videos from mattsoffroadrecovery.com, or find him on YT at Matt’s Off Road Recovery. Since this is his business he probably knows a thing or two. Not saying that others don’t but if you have the coin to “do it right” you can see what equipment the professionals use as opposed to say me:
”anyone got a logging chain?
”do I wrap it around my chrome bumper?”
”sure it’ll hold, trust me.”

Bcryan

Reaction score
I’ve been pulling cars and trucks out for decades using a hitch receiver or front tow hooks and never had an issue - ever. Camel trophy and any of the Jeepers from Moab and Arizona will attest

rules to recovery:

Use low range always

Use opposite points of recovery when possible

If you have concerns over the strap or winch line breaking, place a towel or blanket or similar weighted object to mediate the recoil

shovel out or employ recovery tracks and adjust the front wheels of the stuck vehicle

when initiating the tension on the strap don’t gas the vehicle but make-a gradual recovery Not jerky on the pull

use your brain and keep everyone away from the action

Have fun and don’t freak out when things get banged up, dented, or broken. It is going to happen eventually if you put you and your vehicle off the main road and it isn’t a big deal unless you make it one - just be prepared and it’s best to have a second vehicle with you always if possible

take pics and brag :)
Towel is a must have to keep **** from flying! Good checklist man👍

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look at some of the videos from mattsoffroadrecovery.com, or find him on YT at Matt’s Off Road Recovery. Since this is his business he probably knows a thing or two. Not saying that others don’t but if you have the coin to “do it right” you can see what equipment the professionals use as opposed to say me:
”anyone got a logging chain?
”do I wrap it around my chrome bumper?”
”sure it’ll hold, trust me.”
This. And Ronny Dahl down in Australia has some excellent videos on recovery gear... and what damage they cause in a failure. What happens to a trailer ball hitch if it lets go is shocking for example.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
A lot of the snatch straps on the "A" site are garbage. Read the reviews - many of them shred and fail. Don't know where they get their "working ratings" from. Maybe it's 1 time use only and you aren't supposed to use it again.

TR4_

Reaction score
Check out this latest break test by K72 Rope by Guardian of Bravery

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Matt’s Off Road Recovery is worth binge watching for tips on kinetic rope usage.

A winch line using soft shackles to attached to the vehicle helps keeps a two pound shot coming back at you seems to be the safer way to go.

Last edited:

Camelot

Reaction score
Don't be the 'Darwin award' recipient that use your hitch ball regardless of what you see on the internet. Some people get away with it but eventually it catches up with them. Plenty of people die or get injured because they seen someone do it and believe its okay. Below is just one example of what can happen.

1643748713589.png

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
most times i just make sure i have two points of contact when pulling

Users who are viewing this thread