5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Windshield Replacement - Pic of corner logos please -

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Damn, just went out to double check everything and it looks like he broke one of the windshields cowls, and damaged the other. There's also sealent oozing out which I guess could be normal.

This is what I get for changing glass companies and using who the dealership recommended.
What a dogcrap install.

2023-02-24 14.17.41.jpg 2023-02-24 14.11.01.jpg 2023-02-24 14.10.42.jpg 2023-02-24 14.11.59.jpg 2023-02-24 15.01.25.jpg

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn, just went out to double check everything and it looks like he broke one of the windshields cowls, and damaged the other. There's also sealent oozing out which I guess could be normal.

This is what I get for changing glass companies and using who the dealership recommended.
What a dogcrap install.

View attachment 152881 View attachment 152883 View attachment 152882 View attachment 152884 View attachment 152885

It pains me to see that.
That's certainly not normal for a competent shop.
That's a hack job.

I just had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago at a local shop that's been around since the 90s.
It looks perfect, the gaps are even, no excessive sealant and no funny noises while driving.

You should give them one chance to make it right.
Then go somewhere else more professional and competent and never go back.

4acace90cf9a4cb0ff3c2d827e3bc6b0.jpg
7696b4531f9190f8a59295e59f766ba1.jpg

1139bb8f1ea3d7715edaf1eb5414e03e.jpg
b8a533938414554bb72d881feda3c60c.jpg

b4e2ef05f3d264ecc47001c67c690421.jpg

0f3b27fb22127c07e62fa2dc38a87290.jpg

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It pains me to see that.
That's certainly not normal for a competent shop.
That's a hack job.

I just had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago at a local shop that's been around since the 90s.
It looks perfect, the gaps are even, no excessive sealant and no funny noises while driving.

You should give them one chance to make it right.
Then go somewhere else more professional and competent and never go back.
LOL. I refreshed the page and was looking at your pictures for 30 seconds saying, that looks great, what the hell pictures did I even post? Then I realized it was your pictures not mine.

I'm only giving them a second time to get it right because it's an insurance claim.
Then i'm going back to JN Philips, which is Safelite here which I have used for around 10 windshields and only 2 problems, 1 was fixed fine (secondreplacement was put on to line up both sides) and the other I didn't care about the car as I was selling it shortly.

Never had this many problems all at once with a windshield getting put on. Must be a full moon somewhere today.

He didn't cause any permanent damage to my truck, just pieces that will get replaced at least so there's that.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it appears they used the correct windshield (M478) but have a slight whistling noise at 70 mph that I didn't have before. Any ideas on the culprit for that?
Put a piece of painters top acrooss the top of the windshield half on glass and half on roof, then test drive.
If noise goes away the glass shop needs to fill the top with a bead of urethane.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL. I refreshed the page and was looking at your pictures for 30 seconds saying, that looks great, what the hell pictures did I even post? Then I realized it was your pictures not mine.

I'm only giving them a second time to get it right because it's an insurance claim.
Then i'm going back to JN Philips, which is Safelite here which I have used for around 10 windshields and only 2 problems, 1 was fixed fine (secondreplacement was put on to line up both sides) and the other I didn't care about the car as I was selling it shortly.

Never had this many problems all at once with a windshield getting put on. Must be a full moon somewhere today.

He didn't cause any permanent damage to my truck, just pieces that will get replaced at least so there's that.
Ha!
It can all be fixed, but it's a hassle for you to take it back in when it should have been done right the first time.
Just make sure whoever re-installs it didn't go to the bar before hand. 🍺🥴

U

User_3336

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

What a dogcrap install.

View attachment 152881 View attachment 152883 View attachment 152882 View attachment 152884 View attachment 152885

That's the same kind of quality work I experienced at the Safelite in Scottsdale, AZ. The edges of my windshield looked just like yours and they got that black adhesive on my dash and on the A pillars. Fortunately, we have a small family run glass shop in the area that takes pride in their work. No more Safelite for me.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's the same kind of quality work I experienced at the Safelite in Scottsdale, AZ. The edges of my windshield looked just like yours and they got that black adhesive on my dash and on the A pillars. Fortunately, we have a small family run glass shop in the area that takes pride in their work. No more Safelite for me.
Ironically Safelite near me does good work. This was a company called Auto Glass Fitters.
That looks like SH*T! good lord.
Yeah. The more I looked at it the worse I realized it was.

U

User_3336

Ironically Safelite near me does good work. This was a company called Auto Glass Fitters.

Yeah. The more I looked at it the worse I realized it was.
SAFELITE REPAIR, SAFELIFE REPLACE! :) They did an excellent repair for me (got hit by a golf ball at a nursing home (near rec center))

CM212FLG

Reaction score
Put a piece of painters top acrooss the top of the windshield half on glass and half on roof, then test drive.
If noise goes away the glass shop needs to fill the top with a bead of urethane.
Yeah I'm gonna try that tomorrow. The windshield job looks like quality work. Gaps seem to be evenly spaced, no excessive sealant anywhere. I'm questioning if it's even the windshield making the whistling noise. Only a slight, faint, very high pitched whistle from 70-78 mph. Going to try painters tape on the front of the rooftop antenna and see if that changes anything.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just got it replaced for a second time today. Havn't had a chance to completely inspect it because it's so cold but at a quick glance looks perfect
This time got a tech from the same company that has been doing windshields for the past 20 years and did quality work.

They were going to send the same guy, and I told them no way so they pulled this guy from Boston, so he was extra happy not needing to work there for the day.
He also replaced the 2 damaged trim pieces the last tech broke, and even a missing push clip (didn't notice it until I was removing the cowl myself before he came).

Nice when you meet someone that does good work and is proud of it instead of acting like they work at McDonalds.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got it replaced for a second time today. Havn't had a chance to completely inspect it because it's so cold but at a quick glance looks perfect
This time got a tech from the same company that has been doing windshields for the past 20 years and did quality work.

They were going to send the same guy, and I told them no way so they pulled this guy from Boston, so he was extra happy not needing to work there for the day.
He also replaced the 2 damaged trim pieces the last tech broke, and even a missing push clip (didn't notice it until I was removing the cowl myself before he came).

Nice when you meet someone that does good work and is proud of it instead of acting like they work at McDonalds.
Those competent people are becoming more scarce everyday. And they never were plentiful. ☹️

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

What about that spot on the paint on the fender that they f’ed up? Did that get fixed?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What about that spot on the paint on the fender that they f’ed up? Did that get fixed?
I think it actually was adhesive. I was able to work it off with my bare skin.

They damaged 1 trim piece, snapped a clip on the other one, the defrost clip broke (factory defect), caused my Vararam intake to not seal against the hood (go down) because he put all his weight on it when I wasn't looking, lost 2 plastic push clips (he only found 1).

I see a very minor amount of adhesive coming out of the left side but I can trim that with a plastic cutter in a couple of weeks once everything else is solid.
2023-03-07 17.31.13.jpg 2023-03-07 17.31.28.jpg 2023-03-07 17.34.04.jpg 2023-03-07 17.34.30.jpg 2023-03-07 17.34.54.jpg

The re-calibration guy called about 1 hour after the guy finished and said they could be here today (not the 1-2 weeks like I was told before) but I declined because nawww i'm all set and I don't want it getting messed with.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

They damaged 1 trim piece, snapped a clip on the other one, the defrost clip broke (factory defect), caused my Vararam intake to not seal against the hood (go down) because he put all his weight on it when I wasn't looking, lost 2 plastic push clips (he only found 1).

I see a very minor amount of adhesive coming out of the left side but I can trim that with a plastic cutter in a couple of weeks once everything else is solid.
View attachment 153936 View attachment 153937 View attachment 153938 View attachment 153939 View attachment 153940

The re-calibration guy called about 1 hour after the guy finished and said they could be here today (not the 1-2 weeks like I was told before) but I declined because nawww i'm all set and I don't want it getting messed with.
What a difference!
Are you sure that trainee didn't bust off the defroster connector too?
I think he fubar'ed that like everything else.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What a difference!
Are you sure that trainee didn't bust off the defroster connector too?
I think he fubar'ed that like everything else.
Anything is possible. I would like to believe that was a factory defect, but who really knows lol.
The cable he plugged in was ziptied and was pretty tight, so it's possible he did bust it because he was too lazy to ask me to cut my zip tie.

On a side note he had my old windshield lying against his truck after he took it off and was working, and some wind picked up and it fell on the ground, and completely broke. I died laughing, and hes like "I was expecting that to happen with the old one".

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 153936 View attachment 153937 View attachment 153938 View attachment 153939 View attachment 153940

Good that you were able to get it off. You are taking the same approach I did after my 3rd windshield installation. If current calibration works, no reason to f with it.

CM212FLG

Reaction score

Looks like a much better install. How does the gap look at the bottom of the windshield where it meets the plastic trim? My replacement install seems good as well, just noticed that I have a bit of a gap that varies along the bottom. Not sure if that really matters or not. Sides and top all look good.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks like a much better install. How does the gap look at the bottom of the windshield where it meets the plastic trim? My replacement install seems good as well, just noticed that I have a bit of a gap that varies along the bottom. Not sure if that really matters or not. Sides and top all look good.
I'm not 100% sure about the bottom, as I think the trim covers it.

The glass seems to meet the plastic, and I see some spots where it isn't all the way down, but it's kind of hard to explain.
Ill take a picture tomorrow.

As long as it's sealed gaps actually don't matter at all besides bother us. The bottom I wouldn't be concerned about.

pikemike

Reaction score
After two failed attempts at replacing my windshield and having the lane sense system not working properly, at the third attempt, Safelite installed OEM glass, did the calibration and the system still doesn’t work. Now going to CDJR dealer next week; I’m counting on them. But I was wondering about this glass. Can anyone shed some light on whether or not this is the rIght glass? I have a 2020 Longhorn with all the tech features. What could possibly be the cause of system not working with OEM glass and a successful calibration. Each time they have left me with a lane sense system that wants me to straddle the double yellow or centerline to be in the center of the lane!

Attachments

• IMG_6001.jpeg
    IMG_6001.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5997.jpeg
    IMG_5997.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online