5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Windshield Replacement - Pic of corner logos please -

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can find a shop that does quality work, you should be fine.
Regardless of who does the work, I would absolutely tell them to be very careful with the DASM and its bracket when they remove it.
I personally don't think it's necessary to have OEM glass. I had mine replaced a few months ago with OEM-equivalent glass by an independent shop. It's identical to OEM, except it doesn't have the ram head logo on it.
They did great work and said, in their experience, 98% don't require re-calibration.
I might try the dealer first. Not sure if they do glass but they have done right by in the past on my Rebel. The other thing I was concerned about with replacement was picking up possible wind noise and overall loss in acoustic quality. I love how quiet the cabin is...but not seeing many posts on those being an issue.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I might try the dealer first. Not sure if they do glass but they have done right by in the past on my Rebel. The other thing I was concerned about with replacement was picking up possible wind noise and overall loss in acoustic quality. I love how quiet the cabin is...but not seeing many posts on those being an issue.
The properties of OEM-equivalent are the same as OEM, including the acoustic properties. It'll be stamped on the glass.
Wind noise isn't a problem unless the install is botched by mis-aligning the glass or adhesive oozing out somewhere or whatever else can be managed to be screwed up, which can happen with OEM glass just as easily as it can happen with non-OEM glass. The glass itself isn't the cause of any resultant noise.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had my windshield replaced yesterday by Glass America (OEM Glass) and they re-calibrated everything as well. He stated everything checked out fine. I tested everything a short while later and no issues.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Most dealers don't do glass. They sub it out. I know for a fact, the dealers I go to do. Even 40 years ago, 90% we subbed out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you - yes I have all of those 'bells and whistles' including HUD. Would a glass installer (safe Safelite as an example) understand that or should I stick with the dealer and explain that? Also I assume I have to request OEM?
Make sure they know you have the HUD, it should still pull via the vin.
Looks like you have a 2023, if it's low millage, generally 20k insurance will pay for OEM glass.
Ask your insurance company when they call.

Mobile installers are good because you can watch the work, at the end tell them not to calibrate the DASM, they might say something along the lines of "insurance forces us" and just tell them to say it was done but don't do it.

When they arrive, ask them to see the glass first, make sure it's the same EXACT one that is currently on your truck, take a picture of the bottom corners, should have the Ram logo.

Also as far as I know 0 dealerships will do glass.

Do those and cross your fingers, should be fine.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure they know you have the HUD, it should still pull via the vin.
Looks like you have a 2023, if it's low millage, generally 20k insurance will pay for OEM glass.
Ask your insurance company when they call.

Mobile installers are good because you can watch the work, at the end tell them not to calibrate the DASM, they might say something along the lines of "insurance forces us" and just tell them to say it was done but don't do it.

When they arrive, ask them to see the glass first, make sure it's the same EXACT one that is currently on your truck, take a picture of the bottom corners, should have the Ram logo.

Also as far as I know 0 dealerships will do glass.

Do those and cross your fingers, should be fine.
Thanks for the insight. Yes 2023...just filled er up and mileage is 6700. I will call insurance on Monday...going to roll the dice and see if he will cover tint replacement as well. Once you have it a day without it is too long.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just went through a bit of a nightmare with Safelite on a windshield replacement. Insurance claim, $0 out of pocket.

They used aftermarket for the first attempt. My rear view mirror would not attach to the windshield. It was either stripped or the wrong thread. I insisted on OEM after that.

I had to wait a couple of weeks for the new windshield.. and they had to have my insurance approve it, which they did….they zip tied my rear view mirror back on and it fell off the next day… I ended up Jerry-rigging it and it was fine. However, the first time it rained, I discovered that the rain-sensing wipers were inop.

2 weeks later they installed the OEM windshield. Everything seemed fine. Tested Adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, forward collision… everything worked as expected. Then I get a call from them a couple of days after the install saying that they used the wrong software and they need to come back and recalibrate, and not to rely on any of the safety features…….OK.

So they came and recalibrated it. Everything seemed fine… until a couple of days later while washing my truck I notice a small stress crack… WTF! Drove right over to safelite.

The technician was cool. He agreed right away to replace under warranty. I make an appointment and left.. By now, it’s started raining out… rain-sensing wipers inop!!

They came out today and installed the 3rd new windshield. They must have sent their top tech out. He was very good. Everything seems to be working finally, including the wipers..! Fingers crossed!

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Yes 2023...just filled er up and mileage is 6700. I will call insurance on Monday...going to roll the dice and see if he will cover tint replacement as well. Once you have it a day without it is too long.
Interestingly enough, my window tint shop also does glass replacements and told me to come to them if I ever need the windshield replaced so they can install the tint to the new windshield prior to installation.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, my window tint shop also does glass replacements and told me to come to them if I ever need the windshield replaced so they can install the tint to the new windshield prior to installation.
very interesting...I will call them as well. Never even considered that option

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you - yes I have all of those 'bells and whistles' including HUD. Would a glass installer (safe Safelite as an example) understand that or should I stick with the dealer and explain that? Also I assume I have to request OEM?
Dealers DO NOT DO GLASS WORK. It is always farmed out, so I would recommend searching out a quality installer. Most Safelite shops are pretty good.
Safelite should also be able to offer OEM replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread