5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Running Boards Squeaking

J4U

Reaction score
I know this started off with running board topic, but if it's anything like my noise I hear, could be what neurobit said.

I've had the Case number done on my front brakes already. The brakes don't squeal like they used to, it just a chirp or rattle sound. Over small bumps, it now when I give it a quick press on the brake I can make it do it every time after accelerating.

Stopped off at the service center and spoke with guy I always do. Afterwards he went to pull the Case number and made sure they had the calipers. No appts for 3 weeks but he said drop it off to him next Tuesday for the day and he would get them replaced! That's service.

Here is the star number in case anyone needs it.

12e296d488101d88a5fec847a635b50f.jpg
Well...after several cold months and several trips back to dealership it's getting worse.

What mine is, according to service manager who I had drive it, are the brake pad clips.

He said there is no fix. I asked then why is my right front not doing it. No response. He then drive it over known areas that it makes the sound with the brakes applied. No rattle.

I asked him if he would replace my rotars and brakes by yearly since the only solution is to drive around with my foot on the brake! He chuckled...I didn't.

It's getting so bad I can't drive with my window down. Sounds like a 30 year old farm truck rattling over bumps and depressions in the road. Just on the left ftont side though.

I can't take it and trading in to a different brand has crossed my mind several times!

Love the truck but this is like fingernails on a chalk board EVERYTIME I drive it.

Can I get a little help @RamCares

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well...after several cold months and several trips back to dealership it's getting worse.

What mine is, according to service manager who I had drive it, are the brake pad clips.

He said there is no fix. I asked then why is my right front not doing it. No response.

It's getting so bad I can't drive with my window down. Sounds like a 30 year old farm truck rattling over bumps and depressions in the road. Just on the left ftont side though.

I can't take it and trading in to a different brand has crossed my mind several times!

Love the truck but this is like fingernails on a chalk board EVERYTIME I drive it.

I have that same chirp from my brake clips. At times i spray a little WD-40 on them and itll disappear for a couple weeks. Then it comes back. Wish there was a permanent solution to it.

J4U

Reaction score
I have that same chirp from my brake clips. At times i spray a little WD-40 on them and itll disappear for a couple weeks. Then it comes back. Wish there was a permanent solution to it.
Going to do this to help my sanity for the time being. Have wondered if there is a metal wedge or something that can be put in to keep tension on the clips. Safety issue possibly but I get soooo ticked driving now with windows down.

Have resorted to sunroof and back window open with windows closed so I don't blow my top!

J4U

Reaction score
I was holding off to see if the warm weather would help lesson the farm truck rattle. Was thinking about the lubrication and just went outside to give them a little help.

Drove it around the block, cause it doesn't matter anymore what the tire goes over. The chalk board was quieter and I didn't have that sense of driving it into a wall.

Thanks for posting what I was thinking, you saved some grief until if/when there is a permanent solution.

I know there has to be a manufacturer quality control issue as the right side clips hold just fine and don't rattle.

Nobody wants to keep putting pads on until they find a set that holds snuggly...I get it.

But...come on man!

Thanks again

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

He said there is no fix. I asked then why is my right front not doing it. No response. He then drive it over known areas that it makes the sound with the brakes applied. No rattle.

I asked him if he would replace my rotars and brakes by yearly since the only solution is to drive around with my foot on the brake! He chuckled...I didn't.

Hi @J4U - Would you mind following up with me via private message to provide additional details regarding your most recent attempt to address this with your dealer? I am happy to learn more to determine how to best assist at this point.

Hi @z0n3 - If at any point you feel that you would like to address this with your dealer, I am happy to ensure that you have additional support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread