5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Running Boards Squeaking

ryant601

Reaction score
Minor issue driving me nuts. Installed the Mopar chrome running boards last week and when driving over manhole covers or something similar, I'm getting a little chirp from the front driver side. I'm assuming it's the running boards as I don't recall it happening prior. reinstalled with Loctite 243 yesterday and still no dice. Anyone have any pointers on what to do next?

Rest of the truck is quiet, no rattles etc - so it's pretty apparent.

J4U

Reaction score
I never had a squeek before either and my boards were on from day one.

I have that sound now on the front left wheel area over bumps, covers, etc.

Getting it check out today

ryant601

Reaction score
I never had a squeek before either and my boards were on from day one.

I have that sound now on the front left wheel area over bumps, covers, etc.

Getting it check out today

Would you mind reporting back if they come up with anything? Oddly enough, larger bumps it doesn't do anything...it's really just the manhole covers. Beats me.

J4U

Reaction score
Would you mind reporting back if they come up with anything? Oddly enough, larger bumps it doesn't do anything...it's really just the manhole covers. Beats me.
Similar here. Will do

J4U

Reaction score
Truck is still in service but called and they said it was the sway bar link. Thought I had checked but guess not.

They tightened everything up and will see if it's gone.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was going to mention the sway bar links as mine had a thumping noise start around 1000 miles and took it in to have the link bolts tightened and everything went back to normal.

J4U

Reaction score
Update, sway bar link not the solution. Thought I had checked it. At least they were honest and said it didn't fix it.

Still looking to see what it is.

Will have to pick up truck tonight as I have to have transportation. Will take back in once I'm back in town so they can figure it out.

ryant601

Reaction score
Update, sway bar link not the solution. Thought I had checked it. At least they were honest and said it didn't fix it.

Still looking to see what it is.

Will have to pick up truck tonight as I have to have transportation. Will take back in once I'm back in town so they can figure it out.

Oddly enough, mine seems to have reduced in frequency with this cold snap. Wonder if it has something to do with expansion/collapsing in a bushing of some sort?

J4U

Reaction score
Oddly enough, mine seems to have reduced in frequency with this cold snap. Wonder if it has something to do with expansion/collapsing in a bushing of some sort?
I can only hear the noise with the window down, so cold has helped as well. Ha

What was odd is they said it was the sway bar. When I picked it up after they at least replaced the back brakes again, they said they couldn't hear the noise. So how did you think it was the sway bar without hearing something?

Anyway, next trip to service someone will ride with me and will find out what is causing it.

I'm going to check the strut when I get back home. Just seems like that might be it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It’s prob not the swaybar. It’s your calipers. I had the same issue, and turns out there are redesigned calipers that have tighter tolerances and will fix this.

The older ones I had this chirp. Even when the engine was off, getting in and out of the truck would cause the chirp/cricket sound. I have been noise-free since they did the retrofit in June.

Reactions: J4U

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the same squeak.....

Hi rraulston,

I'm sorry to hear this. If you plan to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

J4U

Reaction score
It’s prob not the swaybar. It’s your calipers. I had the same issue, and turns out there are redesigned calipers that have tighter tolerances and will fix this.

The older ones I had this chirp. Even when the engine was off, getting in and out of the truck would cause the chirp/cricket sound. I have been noise-free since they did the retrofit in June.
That's exactly what mine is, thank you!

I can now make it happen. After accelerating, I can firm tap the breaks and there is the chirp! Not keep pressing, just a firm quick tap.

Last edited:

J4U

Reaction score
I know this started off with running board topic, but if it's anything like my noise I hear, could be what neurobit said.

I've had the Case number done on my front brakes already. The brakes don't squeal like they used to, it just a chirp or rattle sound. Over small bumps, it now when I give it a quick press on the brake I can make it do it every time after accelerating.

Stopped off at the service center and spoke with guy I always do. Afterwards he went to pull the Case number and made sure they had the calipers. No appts for 3 weeks but he said drop it off to him next Tuesday for the day and he would get them replaced! That's service.

Here is the star number in case anyone needs it.

12e296d488101d88a5fec847a635b50f.jpg

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not sure if that's my issue, my squeak happens just cruising but hitting depressed manholes. No brakes applied
Agree. This is not a brake squeal issue, it's the chirp that happens when truck goes over small bumps/depressions on the road, and for me, also getting in/out of the truck with engine off (which was fixed with caliper replacements).

Cheers,

Last edited:

J4U

Reaction score
Not sure if that's my issue, my squeak happens just cruising but hitting depressed manholes. No brakes applied
Agree. This is not a brake squeal issue, it's the chirp that happens when truck goes over small bumps/depressions on the road, and for me, also getting in/out of the truck with engine off (which was fixed with caliper replacements).

Cheers,
Agree, mine is not a break squeal issue either. It's the calipers themselves.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hello ryant601,
I'm sorry to hear this. If you plan to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.
Laura
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread