5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Octane Question

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Here in WI we have 88 octane that is less expensive than 87. BUT, it has up to 15% ethanol (same as any other 88) where 87, 89, 91 and 93 have only up to 10% ethanol. Although the 5th gens can use 15%, there’s no savings because it’ll take more fuel on 15% to deliver the same power and mileage as 10%.... Guaranteed. When I am towing in Iowa I use 93 Non-ethanol and the mileage is better than any other ethanol added fuels I’m forced to use.

And, if you are not using Top Tier fuel, your fuel price is discounted because it does Not have detergent in the fuel. Top Tier is generally displayed ON the pump. You can find a listing of all fuels that are Top Tier on the net.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here in WI we have 88 octane that is less expensive than 87. BUT, it has up to 15% ethanol (same as any other 88) where 87, 89, 91 and 93 have only up to 10% ethanol. Although the 5th gens can use 15%, there’s no savings because it’ll take more fuel on 15% to deliver the same power and mileage as 10%.... Guaranteed. When I am towing in Iowa I use 93 Non-ethanol and the mileage is better than any other ethanol added fuels I’m forced to use.

And, if you are not using Top Tier fuel, your fuel price is discounted because it does Not have detergent in the fuel. Top Tier is generally displayed ON the pump. You can find a listing of all fuels that are Top Tier on the net.
I have used 87 and 89 E10 blend and even 90 octane non ethanol. I now use the 88 E 15 blend. I have found no measurable difference between the 4 different fuels...EXCEPT...88 being much cheaper. My fuel mileage with 88 is better than 87 and similar to 89 and 90. Towing...88 actually has performed the best for me...although I have not towed in the heat with 88.

I did one time with multiple trips in August heat notice 87 giving a lower mileage and used 89 to a better mileage...but not at a price savings.

I realize my experience is useless when talking about 5th Gen RAM 1500...but I just wanted to give my experience with 88. I have well over 20 tank fills with it now(I was keeping track...but it works for me So lost interest in proving it to my self) So close to 10000 miles. It will be what I use going forward.

I dont really care about the savings...but it makes the sodas and beef jerky/chips/pretzels free now when we stop for a fill up...lol

And these are all top tier fuel stations.

I never not once used 93...i used it in my 99 V10 Magnum though...3 times...all I noticed was a higher number on the bank statement. The 488 Cu inch monster does like the 90 Non ethanol though...because it sits from time to time.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s the same experience with the 5th gen. Since they are basically the same setup powertrain wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread