5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NO TAILGATE AJAR WARNING ?? 2020 ram rebel

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is my sticker...highlighted it for easy viewing.

Attachments

• WindowStickerPDF.pdf
    88.2 KB · Views: 85

Ronbhaines

Reaction score
So my window sticker doesn't have it listed, but my build sheet does have it (can get yours here https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing)
Can someone take a picture of the suspected hardware/ senor that would be responsible to create this warning. I want to see if I physically have the hardware needed before asking a dealership to troubleshoot software.
I found this -the passenger side tailgate latch contains some sort of sensor to detect when it is in the closed/latched position.

To test this, I opened the tailgate, and then manually (with my fingers) closed each latch, driver side and the passenger side, while the tailgate was fully open.

The driver side latch didn't do anything in regards to the bed lights, nor the tailgate open message.

The passenger side latch turned off the cargo bed lights as well as the tailgate open message when it was manually closed (to open the latches after closing them, press the tailgate open control in the center of the tailgate before trying to close the tailgate). I could control the bed lights and the tailgate open message simply by manipulating this latch open and closed.

So there isn't actually a sensor to detect if the tailgate was actually closed or not, only that the passenger side latch is in the 'latched' position.

So if you are getting that tailgate open message, and your tailgate appears closed, my guess is that the passenger side latch is not fully engaged.

I hope this info helps others to diagnose possible phantom Tailgate Open messages

2019 Ram Bighorn
2.5" level
Fuel Blitz wheels
275-65-20 Duratracs

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Correct, In the Right hand side TG latch.
I found this -the passenger side tailgate latch contains some sort of sensor to detect when it is in the closed/latched position.

To test this, I opened the tailgate, and then manually (with my fingers) closed each latch, driver side and the passenger side, while the tailgate was fully open.

The driver side latch didn't do anything in regards to the bed lights, nor the tailgate open message.

The passenger side latch turned off the cargo bed lights as well as the tailgate open message when it was manually closed (to open the latches after closing them, press the tailgate open control in the center of the tailgate before trying to close the tailgate). I could control the bed lights and the tailgate open message simply by manipulating this latch open and closed.

So there isn't actually a sensor to detect if the tailgate was actually closed or not, only that the passenger side latch is in the 'latched' position.

So if you are getting that tailgate open message, and your tailgate appears closed, my guess is that the passenger side latch is not fully engaged.

I hope this info helps others to diagnose possible phantom Tailgate Open messages

2019 Ram Bighorn
2.5" level
Fuel Blitz wheels
275-65-20 Duratracs
Correct. The sensor is in the latch. you can check my post from a few hours ago.

7amada

Reaction score
Does it matter if your in park or drive or neutral?

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
This is absolutely absurd . I don’t see tail gate ajar lamp as a option on my fully loaded 66,000 2020 Rebel 12 level 2 truck !

Doberman11

Reaction score
It is not on my 2020 Big Horn sticker either but as you see in the picture there is also another indictor to the right of the center cluster that it is open.

Attachments

• Tailgate.JPG
    Tailgate.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 128

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
That’s very good to know then Doberman11 . Thank you .I’ll make sure Chrysler is aware of this issue !!

TexasDrone

Reaction score
I Guess I’ll call my dealership to setup appointment . Sucks . found this page in the manual as well . Thank you guys for such quick responses .

Is this on the Rebel only, not on a Longhorn or Limited?

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS

TexasDrone

Reaction score
dfa758f939bb27957703e4fd2b846ddf.jpg

1912edb031a9978fc24e7a236f40fca0.jpg

mine didn’t show up anywhere in the cluster. Read in my manual that it MAY signal if equipped. Now need to figure out HOW to equip it.

2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
This is a nightmare guys . Very confusing and un called for . Very upset with Chrysler if this isn’t resolved by them . Funny thing is I know when I go dealership there going to play the clueless game and say that it’s not an option .

Snwjnky

Reaction score
I don't have the feature. Not sure I would want something bugging me when I drive with the gate down on purpose. For example, when my Quad is in the back.

hellmans

Reaction score
star case... your dealer will tell all about it,, after you waste your time there..remember you heard it here first.lol

TexasDrone

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, I went out and checked mine and nothing no light or warning message

Mine was fully loaded at close to $85k, and I don’t see it either.
82e3d068c9b25b7fffa6df5fe13b2697.png

2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
This is what it looks like.
It shows the graphics when you start driving but when you click OK it goes away and then you can only see the small light in the top right corner of the screen
b34d6a210cdb87656d3f055018e4be69.jpg
dfede8a99749f16ffa34a5e9f2b5a577.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread