5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NO TAILGATE AJAR WARNING ?? 2020 ram rebel

troverman

Reaction score
I just can't see how extra visibility and awareness would be disabled on purpose. Regardless of the feature, what bothered me the most was that when I would open my tailgate my bed lights wouldn't come on like they should.

Did you LED bed lights located at the rear of the bed turn on, or was it just the overhead lights up near the third brake light?

Since this "feature" doesn't cost FCA anything additional, it was likely removed due to too many dealer visits from erroneous behavior. My guess, anyway.

Dumpster_on_Wheels

Reaction score
Did you LED bed lights located at the rear of the bed turn on, or was it just the overhead lights up near the third brake light?

Since this "feature" doesn't cost FCA anything additional, it was likely removed due to too many dealer visits from erroneous behavior. My guess, anyway.
The overhead for sure. I did not yet have my bed lights installed when I fixed my tailgate ajar problem.

CORCON

Reaction score
This one works perfectly fine:

OBD Reader: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you ever in AZ, I'd love helping you with that... I have everything installed and ready to enable this feature for you.

-Manny
Manny,
I have a plug in scanner already and just purchased the bypass cable. Am I able to change the setting with what I have? The link you’d posted is just a scanner/reader also so I’m hoping I should be good

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Manny,
I have a plug in scanner already and just purchased the bypass cable. Am I able to change the setting with what I have? The link you’d posted is just a scanner/reader also so I’m hoping I should be good
Yes sir. If you have the obd reader and the bypass cable, you’re good. You just need to download the AlfaOBD software and activate it.

Tranzella

Reaction score
So I guess I took it for granted and assumed my ‘22 Rebel would come standard with the tailgate ajar warning light, but I don’t see it anywhere on my build sheet. I’m assuming I’m out of luck here, even with any after market reprogramming?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I guess I took it for granted and assumed my ‘22 Rebel would come standard with the tailgate ajar warning light, but I don’t see it anywhere on my build sheet. I’m assuming I’m out of luck here, even with any after market reprogramming?
I wouldn’t lose sleep over it as I’ve learned to simply press the rear camera button if I have a concern…if I see the guy behind me then I’m good…if I see pavement, then it’s time to pull over and start the walk of shame back down the highway to collect the good stuff I really want to keep! 😉

Tranzella

Reaction score
I wouldn’t lose sleep over it as I’ve learned to simply press the rear camera button if I have a concern…if I see the guy behind me then I’m good…if I see pavement, then it’s time to pull over and start the walk of shame back down the highway to collect the good stuff I really want to keep! 😉
Yep, that’s exactly what I’ve been doing 🙂

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, that’s exactly what I’ve been doing 🙂
A bit of friendly advice…don’t give those Ford drivers the bird as they drive by honking/laughing when you’re doing your walk of shame…they tend to circle back and start running over your good stuff.

CORCON

Reaction score
I fixed mine. Dealership said it wasn’t equipped though I swear it once worked. Had to buy the obd bypass cable and the app. Took a few minutes to figure out but all is well again.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok! Wife and kid left and I cracked a cold one and went for it.
I verified on my build sheet that I had : "Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp"
I did NOT have it on my window sticker.
Confirmed it to be CBC Config IO F pin 26 Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present: No
Changing to YES has me working!
Overhead bed lights now coming on when I open the gate as well!!
Thanks for this. Was finally able to do it this morning (y)
First time using Alphobd. After 15-20mins of searching, I finally noticed there's a search function :ROFLMAO: :poop:

Attachments

• PXL_20230408_145512057.jpg
    PXL_20230408_145512057.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20230408_150202699.jpg
    PXL_20230408_150202699.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
I just found this.
I also just found the build sheet for my truck.
I discovered that my truck is documented as having the switch and the bed lights from the factory. Bed lights turn on when I open the cab doors or use the switch on the lights, but not when I open the tailgate. I also do not get a tailgate ajar warning.
New to being a RAM (Nused) owner and new here, I have to get the Software and the cable. Not sure if my Bluetooth reader I have for my Subrau will work with the OBD software.
How hard is it to install the bypass cable once purchased?
I am willing to make the investment to get this working in my truck as I often work with the truck after dark and this would be really useful for me vs. using the switch on the lights, fearful that I will forget to turn off the lights and dead battery.
Is anyone in the Richmond VA Area willing to mentor, and teach me how to get this equipment to work?

BlueHemi1500

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
All,
I got a bypass cable, the Alpha ODB, and the MX+ code reader. I read numerous posts on several RAM-focused message bases and watched several YouTube videos.
Spent a few hours learning the software. It took me about 1 hr. to get my Bypass cable installed as my hands did not fit up into the dashboard easily and the module is just at the edge of my field of vision with my glasses and poor lighting to see the fittings and get the cable plugged in. Once the cable was in place the actual process took about 15 minutes to download the original starting factory backup using Google Drive. Verify the backup was present and then a few minutes to find the proper code section to change. Once the changes were made, turned the ACC off and let the truck set for about 5 minutes, started the truck, and now my bed lights and Tailgate ajar warning all function. Anytime my bed is opened the lights turn on as designed/desired. Well worth the investment in the equipment and time to have this functionality as I use my bed frequently after dark. And for my birthday, my wife got me a bed cover it is really nice to have the lights on when I open the tailgate.

BlueHemi1500

DesertRebel

Reaction score
^^^ congrats!

I wish the dealer was able to do that for mine. I don't have the time or patience

Users who are viewing this thread