5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No oil on dipstick

DillonG

Reaction score
Hello yall,

Some background why I’m posting. I recently went in to get an oil change, after picking it up I drove it only about a mile and parked it for the night. Next day I drive about 5 miles and then I get a low oil pressure warning showing idle at around 9 psi (I know the “gauge” is not a true gauge). I have now leaking of oil and no burning coming from exhaust.

I go to the mechanics shop from the day previous and they say they have to adjust the sensors and do another oil change. Oil pressure level is reading fine at idle (18-20psi) but there is not oil on dipstick. Initially they added 8.5 quarts and then added .5 to see if it show on the dipstick. Still nothing showing on the dipstick.

Decide to drive home about 1 mile away and park it over night to see if it needs time to let the oil settle in the pan. Next day still nothing. And oils pressure is now elevated probably due to the extra .5 quarts they added.

Long story I know. Has anyone come across this?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You didn't specify but it must be ecodiesel, there's no way a hemi or 3.6 will take that much oil. Anyway, something doesn't add up, you already figured that. Are you sure they put the drain plug back in? And how about the filter, correct type properly installed? Checking the correct dipstick?

DillonG

Reaction score
You didn't specify but it must be ecodiesel, there's no way a hemi or 3.6 will take that much oil. Anyway, something doesn't add up, you already figured that. Are you sure they put the drain plug back in? And how about the filter, correct type properly installed? Checking the correct dipstick?
Sorry forgot to mention it’s eco diesel.

I’m genuinely thinking they might have put the wrong dipstick in my truck when they finished. Filter and plug are in place, no sign of leaking oil. I just clean the engine today and drove it to see if I could spot any leaking out.

On a good note after driving it for a small trial run the oil pressure is reading within the normal range.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's posted 3.0 thread section >_>

I would go to the dealership you got it from and say your dip stick doesn't do dip.
If there's a problem just go to another Ram and swap dip sticks with them :)

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something doesn't add up. 1st oil change on the truck?

Users who are viewing this thread