5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No more diesel.......

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MSN and Jalopnik have articles saying the same thing.

This SUCKS!!!

I had Hemis for 13 years. I just got a '21 ED and I like it SO much better than the Hemi. I can't believe I won't be able to trade this one in on a new ED in a few years. :(

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That does suck. I traded in my Hemi on an ED and I love it.

Surprised they would do that when Chevy is releasing an updated version of the duramax with more power and torque.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

TSL

Reaction score
Agree, this totally sucks ! Was just reading about it over on TFL Truck ( News: 2023 Ram 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 Will the Be the Last Light Duty Diesel… )
I am a first time truck owner, '22 Rebel ED, really enjoying it so far.
I like going on camping trips way out in the back country ( just fitted a roof top tent on the truck ), and an electric truck offers me exactly nothing for those kind of adventures !

wjcook68

Reaction score
I was bummed by the news because I just bought mine July 2nd of this year. At first I was panicked wondering about parts availability in the future and then I thought about it. After contemplating, I decided to say F*** it and keep rolling with it. I love this little diesel. I am just going to enjoy it while I have it. I will take good care of it and cross the bridge of parts availability when I get there.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think they are still offering it in the wrangler and gladiator.

My guess of why they are getting rid of it in the ram is the relatively low sales volume, and the fact the hurricane will be coming soon.

On the wrangler and gladiator the stock Pentastar is pretty anemic and the diesel makes a lot sense as it has a considerable power advantage.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And killing it to replace it with an electric truck is just about the dumbest thing EVER!
I believe Ram plans on having additional options besides pure BEV starting in 2024. They will also have a gas-electric hybrid, and rumor has it possibly also a hydrogen fuel-cell option later on. Properly done, a plug-in, gas-electric hybrid could be the real sweet spot for half-ton pickups for the majority of people's use-cases...not for all use-cases, but for the majority.
The internet went into a tizzy when Ford took risks on the switch from V8s to twin-turbo V6s, also when they switched to all-aluminum bodies, and the sky didn't fall in either of those high-risk moves Ford took.
The sky is not falling now, either. Just relax and give Ram a chance. Ram is innovative and not afraid to take risks - you might be pleasantly surprised. For those who need to tow, or haul loads for long distances, the HD pickups with Cummins diesel will be available for a number of years. Also, Cummins has independently been working on a number of new technologies for their engines - hydrogen combustion, fuel cells, "sustainable petroleum", battery-electrics, hybrids. The show isn't over yet, just getting ready for the next act.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree, this totally sucks ! Was just reading about it over on TFL Truck ( News: 2023 Ram 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 Will the Be the Last Light Duty Diesel… )
I am a first time truck owner, '22 Rebel ED, really enjoying it so far.
I like going on camping trips way out in the back country ( just fitted a roof top tent on the truck ), and an electric truck offers me exactly nothing for those kind of adventures !
True, not yet anyway. BUT, it's entirely possible that a plug-in, gas-electric hybrid might actually be better overall. The smooth torque of electric motors beats even diesels. The quietness of electric propulsion when you're out in the woods is actually a very nice benefit that you won't appreciate until you actually experience it. The ability to use the truck's hybrid battery for electrical power in camp or on a jobsite, with the gas engine as backup generator, gives much greater flexibility than a regular diesel pickup. So while it's true that currently-available BEVs can't hold a candle to your ED Rebel for wilderness trips today, at some point, say five or ten years from now, the scale will tip in favor of electric-motor propulsion, either BEV or hybrids or fuel cells, for 90% of half-ton pickup use-cases. In the meantime, you've got a phenomenal ED Rebel from which you can watch the show for a number of years, until such time as electric-motor propulsion technology catches up ;-)

TSL

Reaction score
True, not yet anyway. BUT, it's entirely possible that a plug-in, gas-electric hybrid might actually be better overall. The smooth torque of electric motors beats even diesels. The quietness of electric propulsion when you're out in the woods is actually a very nice benefit that you won't appreciate until you actually experience it. The ability to use the truck's hybrid battery for electrical power in camp or on a jobsite, with the gas engine as backup generator, gives much greater flexibility than a regular diesel pickup. So while it's true that currently-available BEVs can't hold a candle to your ED Rebel for wilderness trips today, at some point, say five or ten years from now, the scale will tip in favor of electric-motor propulsion, either BEV or hybrids or fuel cells, for 90% of half-ton pickup use-cases. In the meantime, you've got a phenomenal ED Rebel from which you can watch the show for a number of years, until such time as electric-motor propulsion technology catches up ;-)
Fair points, well stated. You know, if I could fuel up / charge up at the last "civilization" stop before heading out to the back country, and could then get a number of days of exploring out in the woods / wilderness / etc and make it back to that "last stop" to refuel / recharge before heading home, that would probably work. As long as I could refuel / recharge in a no more than 30 mins.
On my recent trip to SE Oregon, I drove from my home in NW Oregon over the Cascade mountains to Bend, in central Oregon, that's about a 4 hr drive, then 2 hours further east to Burns, where I topped off the truck, I was down to less than half full ( didn't start completely full either ). Then from there, I drove an hour south to a little hamlet called FrenchGlen from where I headed out into the Steens mountain area. I spent a couple days roaming around out there, and then drove all the way home without any more stops for fuel. I still had > 100 miles range when I got home. It's just fantastic ! And, I had a roof top tent on, which is definitely hurting my fuel efficiency ( it's over the cab because it's too long for my short bed Rebel ! ). I'm getting 22 to 24 mpg instead of 24 to 26 with the tent on.
I often wonder has nobody thought of a DIESEL-Electric hybrid. That sounds like just a whole lot of torque and awesome range. I haven't read of anybody considering making one though.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fair points, well stated. You know, if I could fuel up / charge up at the last "civilization" stop before heading out to the back country, and could then get a number of days of exploring out in the woods / wilderness / etc and make it back to that "last stop" to refuel / recharge before heading home, that would probably work. As long as I could refuel / recharge in a no more than 30 mins.
On my recent trip to SE Oregon, I drove from my home in NW Oregon over the Cascade mountains to Bend, in central Oregon, that's about a 4 hr drive, then 2 hours further east to Burns, where I topped off the truck, I was down to less than half full ( didn't start completely full either ). Then from there, I drove an hour south to a little hamlet called FrenchGlen from where I headed out into the Steens mountain area. I spent a couple days roaming around out there, and then drove all the way home without any more stops for fuel. I still had > 100 miles range when I got home. It's just fantastic ! And, I had a roof top tent on, which is definitely hurting my fuel efficiency ( it's over the cab because it's too long for my short bed Rebel ! ). I'm getting 22 to 24 mpg instead of 24 to 26 with the tent on.
I often wonder has nobody thought of a DIESEL-Electric hybrid. That sounds like just a whole lot of torque and awesome range. I haven't read of anybody considering making one though.
I've wanted the same thing - a diesel-electric half-ton pickup. I haven't heard of any diesel-electric pickups in the works, although I believe both Ram and Ford are working on gas-electric "range-extender" light-duty trucks. Most of the speculation about Ram's upcoming "electrified Rams" announcements in November seem to think Ram's offering will be a gas-electric range-extender vehicle, not diesel-electric. Of course Ram will first reveal their full-on BEV half-ton pickup, which rumors are saying will have solid-state batteries, not lithium-ion batteries, but supposedly Ram will at the same time describe their "REPB" ("range electric paradigm breaker") ICE-BEV hybrid.
A gas-electric would probably be overall more economical than a diesel-electric, at least in the light-duty truck category. A small diesel powering an electric generator to charge onboard battery and power electric traction motors directly would probably be more efficient than a gas engine, but in terms of overall cost-of-ownership, I'm guessing that the gas-electric will win out. At least until GPF (gasoline particulate filters) become required equipment for gasoline engines as they have been for diesels for years (yes, it's true, modern GDI [gasoline direct injection] engines emit far more tailpipe soot than modern diesels with functioning DPFs).
At this point, I'm wondering if Ram's rumored REPB will use one of Stellantis' four-cylinder turbocharged engines or the new 3.0 L inline six-cylinder. Given the power levels of the newest turbo fours (like the 2.7 L I-4 GM now has as the base engine in Chevy & GMC half-tons, rated at 310 HP @ 5600 RPM and 420 lbf*ft of torque at 3000 RPM), I'm thinking that Ram's REPB will use something like an optimized 2.0-2.5 L four-cylinder turbocharged gas engine to spin the generator.
But the way this all seems to be heading, in my mind, is that a half-ton pickup that is designed from the ground up to be a hybrid would not benefit that much by using a diesel engine, because the inherent thermal efficiency of any electric propulsion system trumps that of a diesel engine, so once they have a hybrid system onboard, the ICE half of the hybrid system will likely be a gasoline-powered ICE. Pure speculation on my part.

phisch

Reaction score
Not cool for the future, but at least we all have the engine we wanted right now. If i can pick up a Jeep Recon in 3 years for in-town driving and save the truck for out of town and trips to Menards, this EcoDiesel will last forever!

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
More good reading:

Also, in a TFL video published today, the CEO of the Ram brand said the cancelation of the EcoDiesel was "always a part of the plan."

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sad news, I really like the range of 1,100 km on 100 L of diesel fuel. The range would be exceptional if a diesel electric hybrid was available. I was planning on keeping my truck for 5 more years but I will probably keep it for a longer period now, I had my first new 1996 Dodge Ram extended cab (only two doors) with the 5.9 V8 Magnum, kept it for 15 years, it only had 134,000km when I sold it for $3,000. I got my new Ram 2011 Outdoorsman with the 5.7, had it for 9 years, it also only had 104,000km when it sold for $17,000 after I trade it. The mileage was low, I only used the trucks when I had to because of the poor gas mileage. I always had a second or third vehicle that was a lot more efficient to drive. Then I finally got my new 2020 Rebel Diesel, close to 62,000km in two years, it is so efficient to drive compared to my older trucks, and it is so comfortable and quiet to drive. My wife has a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, it is fun and light to drive in town. 56,000km in 3 1/2 years, we always use the truck for travelling and use the Jeep for city driving. We both retired, her in December and me in January so no more commute to work.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The mileage was low, I only used the trucks when I had to because of the poor gas mileage.
Just curious - how come you people don't call it "kilometrage"?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is it because they want to hide that they measure mileage in how far a car can drive per qt of maple syrup tapped?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Old school, it just sounds odd for me. I also prefer using mpg verses L/100km. My Rebel get 9L/100km highway = 31 mpg Canadian gallon.
Hopefully this small displacement diesel will last as long as my previous trucks in years and as far in “kilometrage” as my old 1994 Caravan 3 L V6 at 300,000 km.

traveller09

Reaction score
Very sad about this, I really like my ecodisel. I may trade mine for a 2023, just to get 2 years newer to last a little longer and the Rebel was a bit of overkill. Might jump to a Laramie or Limited.

Users who are viewing this thread