5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No locker. No problem.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m going to chime in with experience over the years living here up north.
firstly - Auto 4x4 sounds technically advanced unfortunately it’s not, I have witnessed many trucks in the ditch after watching them get out of shape going up an icy section of the highway we’re it does not kick in until it slips and sets off a chain of events a driver needs to correct. I have the Rebel and drive with being proactive in mind and have full time 4x4 on in these conditions yes you need to think ahead turn 4x4 on and off manually however it will never get broke traction for that throttle tip in going up hill.

secondly -The open diff when you are being lazy and not thinking ahead will not send power over to the opposite wheel this provides three wheels really staying rolling and not slipping side to side the LSD always gets the rear end swinging easier. Try to do a drift with each the LSD always makes truck easier to be fast and furious.

Third - I have posted pics here we get mud and snow. There are many times full time 4x4 keeps you going the locker really is icing on the cake.

Conclusion- non heavy 4x4 users and lower state better weather users can enjoy auto 4x4 for 99 percent of their usage and doing a simple mod locking up the clutches can bring that up However auto 4x4 reduces your true capabilities and does not have the pro active ability to keep you out of trouble when you really need it. There’s a great video from the new Rivian electric truck we’re the driveline engineer explained how having motors to all 4 wheels with very sensitive torque sensors makes it so much more capable than the old mechanical systems he worked with in the past. It’s the closest thing to date that makes a truck closer to being pro active as compared to reactive currently available.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I am working on an off pavement travel/dispersed camping setup myself.

Nothing crazy. Just something a bit more capable than stock, that we can camp out of.

Our area of choice for the trial and error part will be Bald Eagle State Forest.

I got a thread about it here.

Hoping to get my Purple Lizard Maps soon and will probably just tent camp on the ground till we check out some other options.

Same here. Mostly dispersed camping. The truck build won't get too crazy. The big item will be some sort of fridge in the back powered on some sort of solar system. The solar will be mounted on top of the bed cap (that I haven't bought yet) with battery in the bed. I would like the fridge and stove to be mounted on a pull out rack system in the bed, but I'm debating the rack system because it would take up one side of the bed and I would like the bed to be able to sleep 2 people.

I have few items on the truck to do still and then I will start on the camping setup.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
firstly - Auto 4x4 sounds technically advanced unfortunately it’s not, I have witnessed many trucks in the ditch after watching them get out of shape going up an icy section of the highway we’re it does not kick in until it slips and sets off a chain of events a driver needs to correct. I have the Rebel and drive with being proactive in mind and have full time 4x4 on in these conditions yes you need to think ahead turn 4x4 on and off manually however it will never get broke traction for that throttle tip in going up hill.

secondly -The open diff when you are being lazy and not thinking ahead will not send power over to the opposite wheel this provides three wheels really staying rolling and not slipping side to side the LSD always gets the rear end swinging easier. Try to do a drift with each the LSD always makes truck easier to be fast and furious.

Third - I have posted pics here we get mud and snow. There are many times full time 4x4 keeps you going the locker really is icing on the cake.

Conclusion- non heavy 4x4 users and lower state better weather users can enjoy auto 4x4 for 99 percent of their usage and doing a simple mod locking up the clutches can bring that up However auto 4x4 reduces your true capabilities and does not have the pro active ability to keep you out of trouble when you really need it. There’s a great video from the new Rivian electric truck we’re the driveline engineer explained how having motors to all 4 wheels with very sensitive torque sensors makes it so much more capable than the old mechanical systems he worked with in the past. It’s the closest thing to date that makes a truck closer to being pro active as compared to reactive currently available.
You're not going to get disagreement from me on this except for a few minor distinctions.

I wanted 4-Auto because I was moving to a truck from SUV's with full time AWD, and my wife drives the truck a lot too. (I swear this isn't a gender-biased comment just that she isn't familiar with part time 4WD). So I wanted to keep that part of the experience the same. Also, and I know everyone has "weather", but coastal New England can be tricky, where it will be raining on one side of town snowing on the other, and everything else in between. Point is, it can be tough to be proactive to the driving conditions, so the "theory" of 4-Auto was really appealing.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

I believe the newer 48-11 and it's coding is an improvment over the older 44-44.
In the old 44-44 TC it would not send power to the front until wheel slippage occurred even in 4HI (called 4 lock in 4th gen trucks). This is from I've seen in the videos and discussions on the other forum. The new 48-11 TC and it's software seem to act differently and more like a standard 4wd as expected. In 4HI with the 48-11 it does seem to bind on the pavement, but I have more testing to do for my own curiosity.

After my last outing, I'm not entirely sure I need that bypass switch mod on the 48-11.
4auto = part time AWD. Constant engaging/disengaging of TC clutch when traction is needed. A much faster engagement when compared to the 44-44 (as stated by BorgWarner). Can quickly overwork the TC clutches when continuous loss of traction is detected.
4HI and 4LO= 100% clutch engagement. What the bypass switch mod did for the old 44-44.

In my previous thread, I believe I heated the clutch from being in 4auto (I was testing it earlier that day). Then when I went 4HI and LO the clutch was already too hot. The video I posted in this thread should have overheated my TC again if the other video was any indication of what to expect, but I worked it way more this time and no overheating.
With snow and ice on the pavement in my area, I use 4HI or LO. If I was in 4auto, with snow/ice on the pavement, I imagine it would quickly overheat the TC. I really only use 4auto in the rain or when the snow/ice isn't sticking.

The bottom line though is that the eLocker is a more competent system. Driver competence is a whole other issue lol.

Last edited:

ryanJ

Reaction score
What sliders do you have on your truck? Didn’t watch the entire vid but I bet you have some decent pin striping on your sides!
First I’ve read about BLDS, wonder if my truck has it

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All RAM trucks have it. Since 2009 for 1500 and 2010 for HeavyDuty.

I have used it alot while I tore down my camp.

Lots of mud. 20200504_184357.jpg 20200504_184320.jpg 20200504_160327.jpg 20200504_160312.jpg

Just stay in the throttle, allowing your tires to slip and then it will automagically send the traction to the other side.

I do have rear anti spin, but sometimes it wont engage in a situation like this. So BLDS helps in that situation aswell.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Same here. Mostly dispersed camping. The truck build won't get too crazy. The big item will be some sort of fridge in the back powered on some sort of solar system. The solar will be mounted on top of the bed cap (that I haven't bought yet) with battery in the bed. I would like the fridge and stove to be mounted on a pull out rack system in the bed, but I'm debating the rack system because it would take up one side of the bed and I would like the bed to be able to sleep 2 people.

I have few items on the truck to do still and then I will start on the camping setup.
Go to the Expedition Portal forum, lots of good info there for what you want to do.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
What sliders do you have on your truck? Didn’t watch the entire vid but I bet you have some decent pin striping on your sides!

Yes, lots of pin striping. 90% of them buff out. It's a truck though and, just like my cars, I use them for what I bought them for. Which wasn't just to throw parts on them and wash them in the driveway. (Not really directed at you (y) :) )

Here are the sliders:

Go to the Expedition Portal forum, lots of good info there for what you want to do.

I'll check it out. I'm over on Overland Bound too.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
DD,

The only drawback to it is that your wheel(s) first have to start slipping. Then, and only then, will the BLDS kick in. It won't kick in right away either. The wheel has to slip for ~1.5 seconds and then BLDS kicks in. So if you let off the gas early it won't kick in. You can see this in my vids. One wheel will slip and the other doesn't move at all....unless I stay on the gas to give the BLDS time to kick in. So yes, it assists a great deal. There is no way I could have made it through that water bed without it and no locker.

That's the advantage of a locker. It's on 100% of the time. I would like a locker, but if I had to choose (which I did obviously) I honestly would rather have the 4auto TC for this area. 90% of my driving is done on pavement and the 4auto is great for bad weather on pavement. I think it has more to do with tires and clearance than if you have a locker for the the vast majority of owners that will take these trucks off pavement. Heck, most will be fine with a stock 2wd RAM 1500. I'd like to see someone with a daily driven full size truck do more off-road with a locker than our trucks already can with BLDS. It would be a rare occurrence I think, but I'm new to this 4x4 game.
Little late on the reply but I went for the anti-slip vs the locker as the only times we will need a traction assist will likely be above engagement speed for a locker, and I don’t like what they do on ice. Since freezing rain is an issue here in the winter, I didn’t want the only option to be the e-lock. Now in deep mud/sand I’d have favored the locker.

Kite23

Reaction score
Yes, lots of pin striping. 90% of them buff out. It's a truck though and, just like my cars, I use them for what I bought them for. Which wasn't just to throw parts on them and wash them in the driveway. (Not really directed at you (y) :) )

Here are the sliders:

I'll check it out. I'm over on Overland Bound too.

Off-topic comment here, but do you own a Evo X too?
Just assuming from YouTube pic!

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Off-topic comment here, but do you own a Evo X too?
Just assuming from YouTube pic!

I used to. I got it new back in 2012 so that was a few cars ago. Great car and did lots of track days with it. Only issue is the fuel tank does not like long high G left turns. The fuel pump can't pick up fuel in those turns. So tracks that ran counter clockwise I had to keep the tank full. Similar issue to my old NISMO 370Z. I had to run two fuel pumps in that car.

Here is me in the Evo at Big Willow where you see a lot of the magazines test their cars.

Kite23

Reaction score
I used to. I got it new back in 2012 so that was a few cars ago. Great car and did lots of track days with it. Only issue is the fuel tank does not like long high G left turns. The fuel pump can't pick up fuel in those turns. So tracks that ran counter clockwise I had to keep the tank full. Similar issue to my old NISMO 370Z. I had to run two fuel pumps in that car.

Here is me in the Evo at Big Willow where you see a lot of the magazines test their cars.
Yea I've heard of the problem but most people just upgrade to a bigger fuel pump, like you stated, I have a 2010 Evo X that I've had for about 7 years now. This was my first boosted platform way back in the day, and I fell in love.

I haven't got to ever drive Willow Springs, but I got to go check it out when I visited family in Lancaster back in 2012. It's a nice track, wish we had something like that around me!

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Yea I've heard of the problem but most people just upgrade to a bigger fuel pump, like you stated, I have a 2010 Evo X that I've had for about 7 years now. This was my first boosted platform way back in the day, and I fell in love.

I haven't got to ever drive Willow Springs, but I got to go check it out when I visited family in Lancaster back in 2012. It's a nice track, wish we had something like that around me!

A bigger pump wouldn't help in that situation. You need to add more fuel pick-ups in the tank to grab fuel when all the gas sloshes to the other side of the tank. At the time no one had a solution. For the my 370Z I actually ran two pumps. One on each side of the tank. A car like the Evo should have baffles in the tank to begin with. Most people don't see the problem until being under half a tank and only on certain high speed sweepers. I would see it just above 3/4 of a tank at Autoclub Speedway coming onto the front straight. It just depends on the track and how hard the driver is pushing it. The Evo, along with my s2000 and SRT4, were the funnest cars I've owned.

You can see the issue here at around 8:30 when I come onto the oval. You'll hear the car cut out in the same spot for every lap after that too. The fact that I ran a 1:55 on this track with street tires and a full tank of gas is great. My normal time attack setup would be 1/4 tank of gas to save weight.

Kite23

Reaction score
A bigger pump wouldn't help in that situation. You need to add more fuel pick-ups in the tank to grab fuel when all the gas sloshes to the other side of the tank. At the time no one had a solution. For the my 370Z I actually ran two pumps. One on each side of the tank. A car like the Evo should have baffles in the tank to begin with. Most people don't see the problem until being under half a tank and only on certain high speed sweepers. I would see it just above 3/4 of a tank at Autoclub Speedway coming onto the front straight. It just depends on the track and how hard the driver is pushing it. The Evo, along with my s2000 and SRT4, were the funnest cars I've owned.

You can see the issue here at around 8:30 when I come onto the oval. You'll hear the car cut out in the same spot for every lap after that too. The fact that I ran a 1:55 on this track with street tires and a full tank of gas is great. My normal time attack setup would be 1/4 tank of gas to save weight.

Well good info to know, I'll have to look into the subject more about the fuel pumps then!
That's pretty funny though, I also owned an S2k before the Evo. I loved that car and still miss it.
I have a 93 MR2 that I don't drive too much, but it reminds me a lot of the S2k, just feel like the MR2 wants to kill me a little bit more. lol

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Well good info to know, I'll have to look into the subject more about the fuel pumps then!
That's pretty funny though, I also owned an S2k before the Evo. I loved that car and still miss it.
I have a 93 MR2 that I don't drive too much, but it reminds me a lot of the S2k, just feel like the MR2 wants to kill me a little bit more. lol

At the time people were looking at doing an accusump and surge tank for time attacks. Which, if I remember correctly, adds a dry sump system to your fuel setup. Again, it's a waste of money unless you're pulling long high G left hand sweepers.

Wish I kept my s2000 too. Best car I owned. Good examples are quickly becoming a collectors car too and it's not even an old car yet.

MR2 is still one the best looking cars ever.

Last edited:

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Aside from the snap oversteer issue with that generation MR2, they were an incredible car for the time. The turbo's were dang quick, it was mid-engined, and you got pop-up headlights with T-Tops! Nothing beats pop-up headlights and T-Tops! Gorgeous car with Toyota build quality. Owned one for a hot minute in the summer of 2000... was a fool to sell it.

Sorry for furthering a thread derailment.

Kite23

Reaction score
At the time people were looking at doing an accusump and surge tank for time attacks. Which, if I remember correctly, adds a dry sump system to your fuel setup. Again, it's a waste of money unless you're pulling long high G left hand sweepers.

Wish I kept my s2000 too. Best car I owned. Good examples are quickly becoming a collectors car too and it's not even an old car yet.

MR2 is still one the best looking cars ever.
Yea tell me about it, I had a Silverstone, with the hardtop and red/black interior... Sold it for a steal compared to todays prices on them! I have to agree with it being my favorite car, nothing beats that 9 redline the AP1 had.
I love my MR2, and it definitely draws a lot of attention being a RHD import, took it to autox and had a ton of compliments and conversations about it.

Aside from the snap oversteer issue with that generation MR2, they were an incredible car for the time. The turbo's were dang quick, it was mid-engined, and you got pop-up headlights with T-Tops! Nothing beats pop-up headlights and T-Tops! Gorgeous car with Toyota build quality. Owned one for a hot minute in the summer of 2000... was a fool to sell it.

Sorry for furthering a thread derailment.

Unfortunately mine doesn't have T-Tops, but I do have the removable sunroof which is still pretty awesome because it's a good size sunroon, but yea I love everything about the car. I never see me selling it, it's a 93 and I bought it back in 17 with 61k miles on the clock. Now i have around 72k if I recall correctly. I have one video of me Autox it on a youtube channel.

Users who are viewing this thread