5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No locker. No problem.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
This is a long video. Feel free to skip around. Not having a spotter made this take way longer.

I find it interesting that I did not get the "4x4 overheat message" this entire trip like I did on my last outing. Even though I was way harder on the 4wd this time. Maybe there is break in period with the transfer case clutch...? Like bedding in new brake pads. I'm still waiting on the workaround for that to be shipped out to me.

Gas tank skid plate should be arriving today. I had to be careful to protect the transmission and the trans lines a few times on these rocks. A skid plate solution really needs to come out for that. Rock rails performed great as did the other skid plates.

The break over angle is actually my biggest weakness and that's why I'm piling up rocks in the vid. Approach and departure is actually not bad; all things considered.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome footage.

Was the BLDS easy to get to work for you or did it not assist much?

Looks like the truck did do much better.

Enjoy seeing a truck doing the things it is capable of.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Awesome footage.

Was the BLDS easy to get to work for you or did it not assist much?

Looks like the truck did do much better.

Enjoy seeing a truck doing the things it is capable of.

DD,

The only drawback to it is that your wheel(s) first have to start slipping. Then, and only then, will the BLDS kick in. It won't kick in right away either. The wheel has to slip for ~1.5 seconds and then BLDS kicks in. So if you let off the gas early it won't kick in. You can see this in my vids. One wheel will slip and the other doesn't move at all....unless I stay on the gas to give the BLDS time to kick in. So yes, it assists a great deal. There is no way I could have made it through that water bed without it and no locker.

That's the advantage of a locker. It's on 100% of the time. I would like a locker, but if I had to choose (which I did obviously) I honestly would rather have the 4auto TC for this area. 90% of my driving is done on pavement and the 4auto is great for bad weather on pavement. I think it has more to do with tires and clearance than if you have a locker for the the vast majority of owners that will take these trucks off pavement. Heck, most will be fine with a stock 2wd RAM 1500. I'd like to see someone with a daily driven full size truck do more off-road with a locker than our trucks already can with BLDS. It would be a rare occurrence I think, but I'm new to this 4x4 game.

Last edited:

clazer

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure there’s a Rebel on here that was looking to remove the elocker and put in a limited slip. Maybe you could work a deal! Great footage- you’ll definitely feel better with the plates installed!

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure there’s a Rebel on here that was looking to remove the elocker and put in a limited slip. Maybe you could work a deal! Great footage- you’ll definitely feel better with the plates installed!

I'd rather not give up the 4auto. Thanks for looking out though!

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty sure you can have the 48-11 trans with the e-locker rear axle. Can't you? That's what I wanted before I got my Rebel... a Laramie with the ORP, which would have both 4-Auto and a locking rear diff. Maybe I'm confused.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, bighorn, Laramie, longhorn and limited can all be had with the 48-11 and eLocker.

You don't even have to get the ORP, but that would be best.

And the other cool thing about those trims and the eLocker in ORG is you can also pick your gear ratio.

Standard truck and Rebel require 3.92

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can have the 48-11 trans with the e-locker rear axle. Can't you? That's what I wanted before I got my Rebel... a Laramie with the ORP, which would have both 4-Auto and a locking rear diff. Maybe I'm confused.

Yes, bighorn, Laramie, longhorn and minted can all be had with the 48-11 and eLocker.

You don't even have to get the ORP, but that would be best.

And the other cool thing about those trims and the eLocker is you can also pick your gear ratio

But can you have the 4auto option with the eLocker??

Edit: Damn, looks you can. I just built one. I had no idea. Assume you can just drop it in and wire the switch. Wonder if any coding has to be done. Need to find part #'s. Wonder if it's the same as the 4th gen. Probably not worth the cost to do it after the fact. Wish I knew when I was searching for my truck. I thought it was only ORG or Rebel with no 4auto.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Electronic locking differential. Optional/package all trims...Rebel standard Screenshot_20200106-164114_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Off road group optional all trims...standard rebel
Screenshot_20200106-164126_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Part time 48-12 standard tradesman rebel
On demand Screenshot_20200106-164619_Adobe Acrobat.jpg 48-11 standard all other trims

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Edit: Damn, looks you can. I just built one. I had no idea. Assume you can just drop it in and wire the switch. Wonder if any coding has to be done. Need to find part #'s. Wonder if it's the same as the 4th gen. Probably not worth the cost to do it after the fact. Wish I knew when I was searching for my truck. I thought it was only ORG or Rebel with no 4auto.
4th gen did not have an eLocker factory.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm with you... I was really confused at the time too. AND I really wanted the 4-Auto for bad weather driving like you did... I still would in fact, but it's been a non-issue fortunately.

BTW - Great Vid. Keep em coming.

Bubba33

Reaction score
So the locker is a open differential when it's not locked??

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the locker is a open differential when it's not locked??
Yes... with traction control that uses the brakes to send torque to the other wheel. There's also an "Anti-Spin" LSD option for non-Rebel and non-ORP trucks.

Bubba33

Reaction score
Yes... with traction control that uses the brakes to send torque to the other wheel. There's also an "Anti-Spin" LSD option for non-Rebel and non-ORP trucks.
I know there is a lsd option . I have new jeep jl. I am.always surprised by the people that buy them ,do not that they are a open rear end.

Bubba33

Reaction score
I know there is a lsd option . I have new jeep jl. I am.always surprised by the people that buy them ,do not that they are a open rear end.
Thar buy the rubicon with the lockers.

R

Rob5589

Great stuff as usual. Break over on that beast can be overcome somewhat, with 40's :D

PS: Was there a bullet button on that rifle? :LOL:

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Great stuff as usual. Break over on that beast can be overcome somewhat, with 40's :D

PS: Was there a bullet button on that rifle? :LOL:

I think I’m pretty close to being done with the truck from a capability stand point. Next I will be building a drawer and platform system for camping and overland gear.

I can send you my bullet buttons :LOL:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on an off pavement travel/dispersed camping setup myself.

Nothing crazy. Just something a bit more capable than stock, that we can camp out of.

Our area of choice for the trial and error part will be Bald Eagle State Forest.

I got a thread about it here.

Hoping to get my Purple Lizard Maps soon and will probably just tent camp on the ground till we check out some other options.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can see by watching AnthonyD1978 videos that you can still do a lot without a full locker in these trucks. I've only used the e-locker on my Rebel twice, and that was only to see if/how it worked for my own edification.

I didn't intend to buy a Rebel, but now that I have all I want to do is take on treks all over. Sadly, living in New England there aren't many places for a full size truck. Jeeps? Yes, lots. Trucks... not so much. I'm planning on a few mods, going up to a 35 inch tire, and then dragging the family across country to Colorado, Utah and Arizona to wheel my truck like it deserves to be.

These Forums and Threads are invaluable.

Users who are viewing this thread