5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No fix offered by Ram Care on failure of GPS/Nav, UConnect, SOS & Assist functions

SLC

Reaction score
5th Gen Ram 1500, 8.5" UConnect owner.
Is anyone experiencing failure of UConnect functions including SOS & Assist buttons in addition to GPS/Nav not working? Ram Care states known software issue with no ETA on fix. Dealer states manufacturer will not authorize any fix so warranty seems useless. I paid no small amount for these features with no known fix and no ETA, just wait is Ram Care's response.
Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Nooner

Reaction score
Is anyone experiencing failure of UConnect functions including SOS & Assist buttons in addition to GPS/Nav not working? Ram Care states known software issue with no ETA on fix. Dealer states manufacturer will not authorize any fix so warranty seems useless. I paid no small amount for these features with no known fix and no ETA, just wait is Ram Care's response.
I’m with you. Own a new Ram 1500 Laramie with the 12” screen. My issue started on November 1st of the year (2019). My system reboots every 90 seconds, without fail. Could set a clock to it. I lose my radio, Nav, backup camera, Bluetooth, cross path detection and rear radar. Opened a case with RAM customer care and the reply is the same BS song and dance routine other guys have reported getting for over a year on these new rams. Had I known about this prior to purchase, I wouldn’t have even considered this truck.

Did you open a case with Ram to track the issue?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I’m with you. Own a new Ram 1500 Laramie with the 12” screen. My issue started on November 1st of the year (2019). My system reboots every 90 seconds, without fail. Could set a clock to it. I lose my radio, Nav, backup camera, Bluetooth, cross path detection and rear radar. Opened a case with RAM customer care and the reply is the same BS song and dance routine other guys have reported getting for over a year on these new rams. Had I known about this prior to purchase, I wouldn’t have even considered this truck.

Did you open a case with Ram to track the issue?

Part of the issue is that there are THREE PARTIES that deal with this. Call RAM, and they refer to Chrysler Uconnect (who deals with the screens/head units themselves), issue with Assist/SOS - call SiriusXM/Guardian.

Hit my SOS by accident one night, rang endlessly with no one picking up (thank GOD it wasn't a true emergency) - ended up having to disconnect the battery the end the SOS call - even shutting off and locking the door didn't shut it off.

I called Sirius and told them to SHUT DOWN THE SERVICE (even though I was only 5 days into my "free year).

A Uconnect screen that re-boots every 90 seconds is a HUGE ISSUE - and I would be sitting at a dealer until the service manager called RAM and got a new one coming in, or called the COPS to drag me off. Since the screen affects SO MANY FUNCTIONS of the truck (many being safety related) - I would get them to WRITE IT UP - and KEEP BRINGING IT BACK - then head over to a LEMON LAW LAWYER and get them involved.

As far as the NAV itself goes - with 4QTR 2017 maps (and we're now in 4QTR 2019) it's USELESS in my estimation. I use GOOGLE MAPS in CarPlay anyways. Touch the screen, tell it what your looking for (including contact addresses on your phone), it pulls it up - PRESS GO.

Now - in other threads - RAM said December 2019 for a "software update" that's supposed to fix many issues.

Lee Iacocca wouldn't put up with this crap...

Rick

Nooner

Reaction score
Part of the issue is that there are THREE PARTIES that deal with this. Call RAM, and they refer to Chrysler Uconnect (who deals with the screens/head units themselves), issue with Assist/SOS - call SiriusXM/Guardian.

Hit my SOS by accident one night, rang endlessly with no one picking up (thank GOD it wasn't a true emergency) - ended up having to disconnect the battery the end the SOS call - even shutting off and locking the door didn't shut it off.

I called Sirius and told them to SHUT DOWN THE SERVICE (even though I was only 5 days into my "free year).

A Uconnect screen that re-boots every 90 seconds is a HUGE ISSUE - and I would be sitting at a dealer until the service manager called RAM and got a new one coming in, or called the COPS to drag me off. Since the screen affects SO MANY FUNCTIONS of the truck (many being safety related) - I would get them to WRITE IT UP - and KEEP BRINGING IT BACK - then head over to a LEMON LAW LAWYER and get them involved.

As far as the NAV itself goes - with 4QTR 2017 maps (and we're now in 4QTR 2019) it's USELESS in my estimation. I use GOOGLE MAPS in CarPlay anyways. Touch the screen, tell it what your looking for (including contact addresses on your phone), it pulls it up - PRESS GO.

Now - in other threads - RAM said December 2019 for a "software update" that's supposed to fix many issues.

Lee Iacocca wouldn't put up with this crap...

Rick
RSCpnsulting, thanks for the support.
I just brought it to a RAM dealer in Worcester, MA and they stated they tried a soft reset and it held. Was untrue as I got into the car as soon as they handed me the keys and the system now reboots every 30 seconds...not 90. That’s not event enough time to manipulate the climate controls in some cases. So I get 30 seconds of semi functionality (won’t retain any presets and the. Reboot is now taking FB between 45 and 60 seconds.

I have been reading up on the Lemon Laws in Massachusetts and will see if I can get a recommendation for a Lemon Law Atty from a friend who is in private practice. Not a litigious person, and have never taken anyone to court before so I’m in personally uncharted territory. The dealer clearly has an interest in keeping the manufacturer in the clear, if possible, to the detriment of the consumer. First experience with a RAM (or Dodge)...so far its leaving a poor taste.

I2R

Reaction score
Ya I have my truck at dealer for the same issue

Users who are viewing this thread