5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No CD player in my 2020 1500

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of funny comments in this thread, but I guarantee you that I can pop a CD into a slot faster than you can connect a USB cable, connect to UConnect, navigate phone apps/menus to find your music, etc. ;)

Safety. Simplicity. Better audio.

On one CD that may be true, but I guarantee that one little USB can access a lot more music, faster, than changing CDs ;) And I say this as a guy who likes CDs! I wouldn't want to not have one on my vehicle, but you know things change and you either roll with the tide or get swept away by it :D . Also, the quality can be the same as a CD if you transfer it at the high bitrates rather than the compressed mini-file MP3 rates; after all, it's all digital bits, 1s and 0s!

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of funny comments in this thread, but I guarantee you that I can pop a CD into a slot faster than you can connect a USB cable, connect to UConnect, navigate phone apps/menus to find your music, etc. ;)

Safety. Simplicity. Better audio.

LOL, I almost always stream from my phone. I have Amazon Music and it allows you to store any albums or playlists for offline playing. I also have a USB stick with 2,000 songs on it, which is always plugged in, so no you cannot do that faster than I can.

Last edited:

Nibis

Reaction score
I dont miss a CD player at all. I stream all my music. Subscription to Amazon Music HD. I checked rge Bluetooth
LOL, I almost stream from my phone. I have Amazon Music and it allows you to store any albums or playlists for offline playing. I also have a USB stick with 2,000 songs on it, which is always plugged in, so no you cannot do that faster than I can.
I also have Amazon Music, and pay for the HD, I checked my phone and it's is streaming in AAC and sounds good. Everything fires up when I turn on the truck and picks up where I left off. CD's are pretty much useless these days, unless you have a 6 CD changer, even then it's out dated.

STR

Reaction score
Had a CD player in my 4 Gen, which was a must have, and never used it. Popped in a thumb drive with 5,000+ songs and never looked back. Also, have a couple thousand songs on my iPhone, which could be accessed via BT. I still buy CDs... old fashion, but only use them to download.

osage91

Reaction score
I have my CD player out of my truck ready to trade for the storage cubby Insert if anyone is interested. Seems like my original deal fell through as I haven’t gotten a reply to my pm that I sent a couple days ago and they’ve been active on here since then.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have my CD player out of my truck ready to trade for the storage cubby Insert if anyone is interested. Seems like my original deal fell through as I haven’t gotten a reply to my pm that I sent a couple days ago and they’ve been active on here since then.

PM sent

osage91

Reaction score
If anyone has the storage cubby that goes where the CD player is I will trade you straight across, or if anyone could provide the part number for the storage cubby that would also be appreciated.

Phoneskills

Reaction score
If anyone has the storage cubby that goes where the CD player is I will trade you straight across, or if anyone could provide the part number for the storage cubby that would also be appreciated.
I’m down for the swap. I’m trying to get some info from my dealer if it will plug & play or they have to do some kind of Uconnect update. I’d like the CD player as option to use.

osage91

Reaction score
I’m down for the swap. I’m trying to get some info from my dealer if it will plug & play or they have to do some kind of Uconnect update. I’d like the CD player as option to use.
Ok just PM me whenever you’re ready. It’s pretty easy to move the console back and remove/install the hardware. Can’t speak for the software though, maybe someone else will chime in that has completed the swap.

Phoneskills

Reaction score
So this is what my salesman stated: “Unfortunately you cannot get an OEM CD player for your Ram.” But since I knew more about Ram 1500’s than him I’m not sold on that yet. I’m going to talk to my local car audio shop- I’ve worked with them lots before & they know their stuff.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
I havn't played a CD in 10 years. My 2014 Ram had one and I though it was weird still have one in the 2019,

This! I can't remember the last time I used a CD. I have access to damn near anything ever recorded on my phone.

I did however use CD's in my 07 Vette but only becuase it didn't have an AUX :( so CD was my only option. I hated fooling with discs again. Upgraded it to aftermarket just to get a USB port for my iPhone. LOL

I don't miss the CD in my 2020 Ram. Never used the one that was in my 2016 Jeep Cherokee either.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
This! I can't remember the last time I used a CD. I have access to damn near anything ever recorded on my phone.

I did however use CD's in my 07 Vette but only becuase it didn't have an AUX :( so CD was my only option. I hated fooling with discs again. Upgraded it to aftermarket just to get a USB port for my iPhone. LOL

I don't miss the CD in my 2020 Ram. Never used the one that was in my 2016 Jeep Cherokee either.

I traded in my old 2006 ram 3500 about a month ago an it had a CD player and A Cassette Player Combo built in the OEM stereo. The funny thing is, I never used the Cassette player in the 14 years I owned it..

aa.png
Edited : added Photo's

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    867 KB · Views: 17
  • aa.png
    aa.png
    851.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

JimD007

Reaction score
I'm 64 years old. I am pretty sure most of you are younger. I have a CD player in my other vehicle, a BMW convertible, and it holds my phone mount. I haven't used a CD in it for years (and can't without removing the phone mount). In my truck, I play tunes from a SD card or listen to the radio. I could stream from my phone by bluetooth but haven't (my radio is a Kenwood which also has navigation and I guess it can probably play CDs, I know it plays DVDs but I don't do that either). I would not try and argue that CDs cannot produce higher quality music but I would argue that I would not be able to tell the difference in my vehicles. Digital storage is certainly more convenient.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
I'm 64 years old. I am pretty sure most of you are younger. I have a CD player in my other vehicle, a BMW convertible, and it holds my phone mount. I haven't used a CD in it for years (and can't without removing the phone mount). In my truck, I play tunes from a SD card or listen to the radio. I could stream from my phone by bluetooth but haven't (my radio is a Kenwood which also has navigation and I guess it can probably play CDs, I know it plays DVDs but I don't do that either). I would not try and argue that CDs cannot produce higher quality music but I would argue that I would not be able to tell the difference in my vehicles. Digital storage is certainly more convenient.

About half the age here and have several CDs...somewhere...haven't really used CDs since the first iPod came out. I would agree that I cannot here the difference. I would also imagine that the exhaust on my truck would take away any noticeable gain from using CDs. Now I do know that flak is much better quality than MP3, however, I don't have the time to convert everything and my list of music/musicians is constantly growing. I find that XM channels have me covered on most things new music. For anything else I use my phone with Spotify and/or youtube. I have the wireless car play adapter and normally just listen to XM anyway. The wireless car play adapter is my go to so I can use Waze navigation for knowing where cops are located and other road obstructions.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
About half the age here and have several CDs...somewhere...haven't really used CDs since the first iPod came out. I would agree that I cannot here the difference. I would also imagine that the exhaust on my truck would take away any noticeable gain from using CDs. Now I do know that flak is much better quality than MP3, however, I don't have the time to convert everything and my list of music/musicians is constantly growing. I find that XM channels have me covered on most things new music. For anything else I use my phone with Spotify and/or youtube. I have the wireless car play adapter and normally just listen to XM anyway. The wireless car play adapter is my go to so I can use Waze navigation for knowing where cops are located and other road obstructions.
Which wireless adapter do you have?

JimD007

Reaction score
I converted my CDs, and also a lot of old vinyl, to MP3s and have them on my phone and a SD card in my truck. About 8gb. I add something occasionally.

19TXLimited

Reaction score

This is the one. It is a little finicky on remote starts, but a quick unplug and replug and it works like a charm. I love it so far. Now just need to buy a usb switch that allows for data transfer so I don't have to pull the usb each time it doesn't load. There is also a group buy going on right now to get I think 20% off and free shipping.

19TXLimited

Reaction score

Here's the group buy.

osage91

Reaction score
I still have a factory CD player available for free.

Users who are viewing this thread