5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

Daverous

Reaction score
It was conveyed to me the tuning is the same for both Ram and Jeep post tune. In stock form there is a difference in the shift logic, with the Ram already favoring higher shift points when cold. The Jeep does not do this from the factory.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Please keep us updated.

Is it possible it's something in the gladiator tuning that is causing this? I know the trans tune should be the same but maybe theres something small causing this warm up behavior.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

I might have spoken too soon. I left work and refueled from the drive home last night.
Got 24.4 MPG @ 75mph 29.42 gallons and 718 miles.

Well I pulled into the Post Office to collect my mail, Left the truck running. When I was
pulling out of the Parking lot there was a small lurch. Then the Dash lit up like a Christmas
Tree. I tried to pull over shutdown and restart. No Luck. Drove to a place to get some dinner.
let the truck sit for a few minutes. All the lights cleared except the Check Engine Light.

Started to drive home and the little lurch happened again and all the lights were back. The
Trans was stuck in one gear. I drove back to work and I will let it sit for awhile. But it looks
Like I am sleeping here tonight. I turned off the Pedal Commander to see if that was a conflict.
As both times I just started pushing on the Gas Pedal. We will see.

Sending this Post to GDE too

Malodave

Daverous

Reaction score
Interesting. I've heard of the pedal commander throwing codes before, but not with those symptoms. Let us know what the codes are. Very interested in if they're pcm/tcm related.

Almost sounds like an issue I had with my bcm dropping connection a bit back. It ended up being a faulty security bypass I left plugged in for my alfaobd stuff.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had the Pedal Commander installed for about a year now with out a single problem.
My Bypass cable was removed after the Tune was complete. On other thing I did do at the
Post Office was re-install the Comma 3 Power cable to the OBD port but the comma is not
installed. I have since unplugged it again.

Malodave

Daverous

Reaction score
Did you get a chance to play with the pedal commander and without since the tune? That'd be a neat side by side on how they interact and compare in terms of throttle response. Did GDE have anything to say related to leaving it plugged in when you were up there?

Edit: That's the second set of codes thrown post tune within this thread. I'll be watching closely to see what you read. I don't think @WXman had his come back again?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not yet. I just got in at Midnight last night and had to be at work at 7AM.

Malodave

Daverous

Reaction score
Ah, misunderstood the time frame. Didn't realize you're just getting home and settled.
Hopefully it's back to normal in the am. Keep us posted.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I might have spoken too soon. I left work and refueled from the drive home last night.
Got 24.4 MPG @ 75mph 29.42 gallons and 718 miles.

Well I pulled into the Post Office to collect my mail, Left the truck running. When I was
pulling out of the Parking lot there was a small lurch. Then the Dash lit up like a Christmas
Tree. I tried to pull over shutdown and restart. No Luck. Drove to a place to get some dinner.
let the truck sit for a few minutes. All the lights cleared except the Check Engine Light.

Started to drive home and the little lurch happened again and all the lights were back. The
Trans was stuck in one gear. I drove back to work and I will let it sit for awhile. But it looks
Like I am sleeping here tonight. I turned off the Pedal Commander to see if that was a conflict.
As both times I just started pushing on the Gas Pedal. We will see.

Sending this Post to GDE too

Malodave

That's not reassuring, to say the least.

Hopefully GDE gets back to you soon to help resolve whatever the conflict is.

These trucks are pretty much mobile computers these days, with ancillary sensors, generators, actuators and mobility systems tacked on. ;)

I'm sure GDE's first request will be that you remove any other aftermarket devices attached to the Canbus (<- or whatever we call the harnesses and circuits these days). Then, after security bypasses, aftermarket devices, etc., are removed, the old "remove the battery's negative then positive cables, touch them together for 10 seconds, then re-attach (positive then negative) to the battery". At least, that's my guess.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dosing is increased to offset for emissions. That, I can verify from my time there. The unfortunate result of needing to satisfy regulations.
With regard to the exact percentage you'll need to consult with them.

That's what I figured. Guys keep talking about how regens are reduced with the tune, but nobody mentions the added cost of DEF. So in the end there isn't a benefit. Could be construed as a drawback depending on how a guy looks at it. The DPF is covered under warranty for longer than the DEF tank and injection system. I'd rather have the stock emissions function in this scenario.

Did you get a chance to play with the pedal commander and without since the tune? That'd be a neat side by side on how they interact and compare in terms of throttle response. Did GDE have anything to say related to leaving it plugged in when you were up there?

Edit: That's the second set of codes thrown post tune within this thread. I'll be watching closely to see what you read. I don't think @WXman had his come back again?

No so far my injection code hasn't returned. I'm not sure what was up with that. It was a rainy night and I was cruising with the cruise control set to 65. Relatively level ground. Then POOF a code.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GDE wants me to read the Codes generated and report back.

They didn't say anything about the Pedal Commander they originally thought it was a Tazer.
They used my Bypass Harness and unplugged the power connector to power the Comma3.
(which was not installed)

I went out this morning and all the lights were out except for
the Check Engine Light. I have an OBDLink MX+ Scanner along
with AlfaOBD on a 10" tablet and my old phone that got Submerged
last Friday. I replaced the Phone while I was in Detroit and just
downloaded the OBDLink APP from the Play Store to the new Phone.

I will read the codes and report back in a little while.

Update:

This Morning all the lights were out except the CEL
There were three codes stored

P2138 Throttle Position Sensor Switch “D” / “E” Voltage Correlation

Both times it happened I was just starting to press the Pedal.
I have also turned off the Pedal Commander now.

P07FF Manufacturer Defined

U1428 Manufacturer Defined

The OBDlink MX+ will not clear the CEL

GDE Wants me to remove the Pedal Commander and return the Truck to stock. They Said that Code is on Me.
The P07FF they said it is a non issue but will be looking into it, No info on the last
Code.

Malodave

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah a Pedal Commander is not needed with the GDE tune. GDE throttle response is dialed way up.

Also side note: They said the Jeep has no cold engine gear-holding built in to the factory tune. That's not true. My Jeep very noticeably holds 1st and 2nd gear longer first thing on a cold morning. The difference is that when I ease off the accel pedal it doesn't toss my head forward like the GDE programming. And, once the truck is warm it doesn't go back to the cold shifting after a quick 10 minute trip into the store. The factory tune simply handles warm-up better.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram gear holding: I noticed this morning (the first cold morning I've driven it since learning about gear holding) and my Laramie seemed to hold gear until about 2,000 rpm while driving out of the neighborhood. I never noticed it before. I think you guys have got me sensitized!!! ;)

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GDE wants me to read the Codes generated and report back.

They didn't say anything about the Pedal Commander they originally thought it was a Tazer.
They used my Bypass Harness and unplugged the power connector to power the Comma3.
(which was not installed)

I went out this morning and all the lights were out except for
the Check Engine Light. I have an OBDLink MX+ Scanner along
with AlfaOBD on a 10" tablet and my old phone that got Submerged
last Friday. I replaced the Phone while I was in Detroit and just
downloaded the OBDLink APP from the Play Store to the new Phone.

I will read the codes and report back in a little while.

P07FF Manufacturer Defined

U1428 Manufacturer Defined
Those are both Torque errors from the transmission conflicting with PCM. The engine is making more torque than the transmission is expecting and the PCM isn't repsonding to the transmission request to reduce it. Its a bad/incomplete tune

Rhombus

Reaction score
Why don’t we let GDE respond. I personally have already removed my pedal commander before I tune because I don’t want errors like these

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My OBDlink MX+ and their App will not clear the CEL. I think it is because the truck needs to be running to power it.
It cleared some of the codes. Others say they are permenant.

This Morning the truck was hard to start and the Christmas tree was back. The Pedal Commander
is still installed but turned off. I will remove it today and get a different scan tool to reset the CEL.
I had to limp it into work at 38 mph. I have access to my old Big Horn on my dump run I will
get the new scan tool. There were other codes this morning.

When the GDE tune works it works well. But right now, with all the Problems, I can't recommend to get it for yourself.

We will see if the new scan tool works. If I have to go to the Dealer, They might Void my Warranty.

Malodave

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why don’t we let GDE respond. I personally have already removed my pedal commander before I tune because I don’t want errors like these

I've never seen him on this forum. He frequents the Ram1500Diesel forum though.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My OBDlink MX+ and their App will not clear the CEL. I think it is because the truck needs to be running to power it.
It cleared some of the codes. Others say they are permenant.

This Morning the truck was hard to start and the Christmas tree was back. The Pedal Commander
is still installed but turned off. I will remove it today and get a different scan tool to reset the CEL.
I had to limp it into work at 38 mph. I have access to my old Big Horn on my dump run I will
get the new scan tool. There were other codes this morning.

When the GDE tune works it works well. But right now, with all the Problems, I can't recommend to get it for yourself.

We will see if the new scan tool works. If I have to go to the Dealer, They might Void my Warranty.

Malodave
There are certain codes which only the dealer can clear or it takes a certain number of ignition cycles with no issues detected before it will reset the “Christmas tree.”

Rhombus

Reaction score
I've never seen him on this forum. He frequents the Ram1500Diesel forum though.
My biggest issue is the dealer wants me to leave my truck for up to 5 days before they'll update the PCM per a TSB. FIVE days! And no, they won't schedule an appointment as "commercial" diesels come in all the time and the implication is they pay and get priority over a consumer with a warranty request. Once I get this done, I'm still moving forward with GDE.

pnw_rcutv

Reaction score
Those are both Torque errors from the transmission conflicting with PCM. The engine is making more torque than the transmission is expecting and the PCM isn't repsonding to the transmission request to reduce it. Its a bad/incomplete tune
Could be pure speculation but also looks to have thrown a TPS fault which likely corresponds with the pedal commander. Being if the PC alters that signal and is essentially applying a TQ too soon or at too low of an RPM and GDE has adjusted or "softly" removed these TQ limits in the TCU that very well could be the culprit. Ultimately, extremely unfortunate BUT I could very well see GDE pointing towards the PC being the issue here unless it's repeatable with that device fully removed.

I personally wouldn't want the PC in combonation with the tune but there is zero reason why it shouldn't work adequately tbh.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I forgot to add that on my way to work I bumped a Deer. I come
around the corner and four Deer were having a meeting in my lane.
I hit the brakes and swerved to the on coming lanes. The deer then
bolted across that lane and I just bumped the last one. Probably
knocked it off its feet as it took a little time to catch up to the rest.

Picked up the new Scan tool, removed the Pedal Commander, reset
the codes I could. Only the CEL remains lit because of the Permanent codes.
The truck it drivable again. Hopefully the CEL will reset itself soon. I have to
get the truck inspected this month and it will not pass with the CEL on.

Cross your Fingers, Eyes, Arms, and Legs.

Malodave

Last edited:
Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread