5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GDE tuned guys (at this point, just @WXman and @Daverous soon to be joined by @Malodave ) :

I thought GDE said that their transmission tune would include the ability to use the steering wheel +/- buttons as a form of manumatic shifter. (They currently just act as a gear limiter, not a selector.) Have you guys added the transmission tune to your engine tune? If so, did GDE incorporate that functionality into the tune and, if so, how well does it work?

Thanks.

The Jeep pickup has that function from the factory. I have no idea why Ram doesn't. That always annoyed me about the Ram. So anyway, I already had that function before getting tuned.

I can't comment on whether or not it's included for Rams.

Reactions: c3k

Daverous

Reaction score
It appears to work well in the few situations I've used it. There do seem to be some safety parameters in place that prevent over the top stupid. For example I tried to hold 6th when doing a very slow turn, it beeped at me and forced it down to third. I can also start out in second now if I so desire for some reason. I haven't played with how far into the rpms I can push it since I'm a bit of a wuss in that regard. That and the auto mode seems to hold out gears about perfect anyway. Currently the turbo break isn't available to play with, but should be available soon enough for those of us that want to upgrade.

I did get my first active regen yesterday. About 7 miles from 1000(yes, my previous review wasn't a true 1000, it was around 40 miles shy at the time) ...right where gde said they were seeing regens. @WXman, how's it done for regens on your side?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is the fuel economy with the tune?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Daverous

Reaction score
A bit over 25mpg on my setup yesterday doing 78mph for 764 total miles. Some variation in speed through Nashville Tennessee but adaptive cruise stays set at 78. Truthfully not sure if I'm on winter or summer blend. I topped off from a known winter blend(17 total gallons of whatever it was). Temps from 40 to 60f between me and outside of Birmingham Alabama and back.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's pretty good at those speeds. 72mph seems to be the sweet spot for MPG with these trucks.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Daverous

Reaction score
Agreed. With the 3.92s that's as good as I could hope for at those speeds. Another trip in two weeks and I'll try running it around 70 for comparison. Any slower than that on i65 and someone may take a shot at me.

I also want to try out a set of 285 75 18 after the first of the year. Interested to see what the reduction in final gear ratio may yield.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It appears to work well in the few situations I've used it. There do seem to be some safety parameters in place that prevent over the top stupid. For example I tried to hold 6th when doing a very slow turn, it beeped at me and forced it down to third. I can also start out in second now if I so desire for some reason. I haven't played with how far into the rpms I can push it since I'm a bit of a wuss in that regard. That and the auto mode seems to hold out gears about perfect anyway. Currently the turbo break isn't available to play with, but should be available soon enough for those of us that want to upgrade.

I did get my first active regen yesterday. About 7 miles from 1000(yes, my previous review wasn't a true 1000, it was around 40 miles shy at the time) ...right where gde said they were seeing regens. @WXman, how's it done for regens on your side?
Does the "It", bolded above, refer to the GDE "manumatic" shifting? (I assume so, but you know what they say about that... ;) )

Daverous

Reaction score
IT does, haha. I should probably test it more but I have almost zero reference from stock. I've only used the manual mode a handful of times when descending hills in the snow or steep switchbacks in the mountains.

I'll add it to me list to compare to stock.

Reactions: c3k

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm at a hand calculated 5% over stock MPG right now. Need a few tanks under my belt to know for sure. But it seems to be 1-2 better, just like they said.

Can't comment on regen. Don't have my Scan Guage installed at the moment. Awaiting a dealer visit soon to fix yet another oil leak.

Keith said the Ram had the funky cold low speed shifting from the factory and the Jeep doesn't. That explains why I noticed such a difference on my truck. (Though I can't recall my Ram behaving like this in the cold either.)

BNJMN

Reaction score
If you can start out in 2nd gear is that a way to eliminate the cold pull away abruptness?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can start out in 2nd gear is that a way to eliminate the cold pull away abruptness?

Well, it's programmed to hold 1st as long as possible. Usually won't shift until 3,000 RPM. Then it holds 2nd as long as it can. Again, almost 3,000 RPM and then it'll shift to 3rd at 20 MPH. It's ridiculous. If you're able to manually shift, then it'll help some if you can upshift faster on your own.

This isn't an issue if you pull out of the driveway in the morning and immediately you're onto a highway. But if you drive slow through a neighborhood, or like in my case a gravel lane before you get to a main road, it'll drive you nuts.

There's a clip in this video kind of showing what I mean starting at about 1:18:

jluff007

Reaction score
i just wish i didn't have to send it in. i've had mail go missing recently and can't imagine what i'd do if my ECM got lost in the mail.

Daverous

Reaction score
I used to work as a terminal manager for the big guys. They all lose stuff at about the same rates.
Make a copy to be safe. With a new pcm running 200 bucks it's well worth it for dealer visits alone.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust FedUp to ship a box of donuts, much less a PCM. When/if they lose or damage it, you get to go to your dealer and explain to them why your truck has no PCM and needs a new one. That scared me due to warranty concerns.

So, for me it was worth making the 12 hour round trip drive to GDE to get it done. 1 day, and it was all done.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust FedUp to ship a box of donuts, much less a PCM. When/if they lose or damage it, you get to go to your dealer and explain to them why your truck has no PCM and needs a new one. That scared me due to warranty concerns.

So, for me it was worth making the 12 hour round trip drive to GDE to get it done. 1 day, and it was all done.
That's why I am driving there this weekend for a 1st thing Monday appointment. Along with I don't want to be down without a PCM for 5 Days or more.

Malodave

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One would think they could send out a wifi enabled dongle (with a credit card deposit) to owners and then the owner would hook it up to their ECM. Once hooked up, they would notify GDE would would download the required software to the ECM. Once completed, the owner sends the dingle back to GDE and the deposit is removed from the credit card. They could charge $50 or $100 to rent it and I’m certain owners would prefer doing that versus sending their ECM to GDE via UPS or FEDEX. Too many acronyms and a huge opportunity for loss in shipment. 😉

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it is in the US and you want it to get there, send it registered mail. Its under lock and the least likely method to get lost. UPS and Fedex can lose things, same with regular mail and certified. Insurance doesn't really matter if it can't make you whole.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tonight I stopped at DQ for a Blizzard. Turned the truck off in the parking lot for 10 minutes while I was enjoying my ice cream. Started the truck back up and headed out through the neighborhood adjacent to see Christmas lights. I guess the damned engine cooled off enough that it went back into the cold engine transmission shifting again. Wouldn't shift to 3rd until 25 MPH. Friggin' ridiculous. Ugh...

And apparently I was wrong. GDE is not planning to work on smoothing that back out at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread