5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie buying truck and TT

blakei

Reaction score
Both door sticker and vin lookup indicate 1780. I have a Big Horn not a Long Horn...same trim AFAIK.
c2f77c3776ada92420157a09ca7c5783.jpg

c752611dded93f3490322af2c6f685e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry. You said the TV was a 2020 Longhorn. in what I quoted @blakei

I should have looked at your signature.

Longhorn is a gussied up Laramie.

Lone Star is the same as Big Horn.

Now your numbers make perfect sense.

Thanks for the reply.

Glad your RAM is getting the job done...you actually have a capable one. It impresses me what these 1500 can do. I keep wanting to get one...but I really like my 8 foot bed. Lol

blakei

Reaction score
My bad, I got the trim names confused. You have them right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trimanjoe

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 Lonestar 4x4 with 3.21 rear end has a payload of 1,765 and a max towing capacity of 8,565. I tow an Airstream International Serenity 23FB with a GVWR of 6,000 and a posted tongue weight of 475 lbs. I am extremely happy with how my truck tows the trailer (always in tow mode). I replaced the stock anti-sway bar with a Hellwig (middle setting), and I use a completely dialed in WDH that allow my truck to handle the towing load with ease (ie- evenly distributing the tongue weight to both the front and rear axles of the truck); however, I, personally, would not want to tow more weight or anything less aerodynamic with my truck - despite the numbers indicating that the truck is capable.

Nicolls

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have to admit this forum has been immensely helpful. We are in the market for a new truck and travel trailer. I have read through virtually every thread here but I still find things a bit overwhelming so was hoping for input to help my shopping.

For a travel trailer we mare looking for a trailer with bunkhouse to give the kids their own area and the ones we like range from 32-35’ long and the heaviest has a dry weight of 7050lbs and a tongue weight of 830

I strongly prefer getting a 1500 (specifically the sport model) for every day driving and the extra rear seat legroom over the 2500. I’d be looking at the hemi with 1.92 I don’t want to try and fit a square peg in a round hole but with spending this much money I want to ensure weget something that is safe and will work for our needs/wants.

i know the 2500 will definitely pull a bunkhouse travel trailer better but with looking at the lighter keystone bullet/outlook options is 7000# trailer with 830# tongue weight something the 1500 can realistically pull within its limits?
For what it’s worth, I was in a similar spot 10 years ago except I had a Ford Expedition and bought a 32’ heartland. Never really towed well and on all the “camper” forums, they basically say you can do all the math you want but there’s a reason most people towing 32’ + long campers have 3/4 ton trucks. I bought one the 2500 and it worked fine-but wasn’t exactly pleasant to drive daily.

Ezsailor

Reaction score
I tow a Highland Mesa Ridge 2504BH UltraLite, that’s 29’ hitch to bumper. Advertised dry was 5400, trailer sticker showed 5700 dry, Weights in around 6800 wet (7400 max gross) with a little more than 900# tongue (per CAT Scales). My 2020 1500 5.7 eTorque w/air and 3.92 pulls it well (I think 3.21 would be fine too). I use a Recurve R6 WDH with sway control, camera on the TT rear and Dill Trailer TPMS. Also, i always replace the tires with Goodyear Endurance (load range E) tires (buy American!), and am happy to pull with this setup anywhere. It’s stable, even over bridges and being passed by overlimit road trains, and while payload is a limiting factor, so are the trucks’s brakes.

We really like this particular TT, which has a private master bedroom w/full queen, one pop out with large table that flattens for a queen air bed, and two full bunks. Second door direct access to the full bath is handy, nice kit, and the roof is walkable (stargazing or spectating), Also, its a bit high (requires 11’3” clearance): but has ground clearance that has come in handy when towing up north and using two-track dirt roads. I also have to carry an empty supplemental potable water tank on wheels, as my crew can’t survive on 51 gallons fresh (I put in a Truma continuous hot water heater that is SO nice after a day of dusty dirt biking :) )

Before I purchased my 1500, I towed this rig with a bunch of Enterprise Truck rentals: 1500 Classic, a F150, an F250, a 19 RAM 1500 DT, and a 2019 2500. Also drove a 20 2500. The 1500 DT with air and MFT was the sweet spot, by being comfortable towing my setup, not too big or truck-ish and being an excellent family car, livable commuter. I would trade a couple inches of Crew Cab back seat for more bed, but not too much, as the Quad cab rear is too small and seat too straight up. I do know that the only time I’d be happy with a 250/2500 would be when towing - all the other days of the year I would not.

Anyway, see if you can find something 28-30, maybe upto 32, and under 8.5k max gross, if you want to stick to a 1/2 ton.
Do you have the 5'7" bed or 6'4" bed... and any recommendations?

Reactions: cj7

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have the 5'7" bed or 6'4" bed... and any recommendations?
I got the 5’7” bed only because that’s what would fit in the garage. My last truck had a 6’1” bed, and I miss those extra inches.

its a trade-off only you can make. For me, the 5’7” fits, is a little easier to maneuver, but is a bit under-endowed in the bed...

rutherfordk

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice, in the end we purchased a Jayco 32BHS which is a bit heavier (and longer) than I initially wanted but we really liked it so went with it. As a result of the advice here and the specs of our trailer I am going to get a 2500. Now I just need to choose between the Laramie and the Limited lol. Hoping the 2021's hit the ground soon

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s good to hear. Better to have more truck than you need vs pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton

Users who are viewing this thread