5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Toyo Open country at3 thoughts

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no dog in this fight, other than to say I’m running Falken Wildpeak AT3w on my new truck, and honestly have had some slippage in our snowy weather up here in the great Northwest. I ran KO2s on my previous 5th gen without issue for two winters, which includes highways and mountain passes. Might go back but always looking for the best...wondering if Toyo might be a better option, based on what I’ve read.

Interesting, a lot of guys LOVE the Falken AT3Ws, LOVE them - and some say the KO2 is "too old".

And yet I friggin loved the KO2s I had, loved that rubber.
OldGen1Rebel.jpg

In a word, the duratracs are in my opinion "under-rated." They just are. They're worth running until they're done.
I didn't, out of raw curiosity.

I could see myself going back to the KO2s - but the Toyo AT3s have been solid.

Today I did a bunch of snow/slush/icy road driving. The tires were at the wrong PSI front and back, and yet I basically didn't even know it until I got home. Traction was still fine, 4x4 was optional.

ToyoAT3Snow4.jpg

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quick note: This is an anecdote, and if it's wrong I will come back here and say it is wrong and correct it.

After putting on the Terraflex shocks in the +1in setting in the front, I think I hear a smidge less tire noise. Something's different.
By no means am I suggesting that the Falcon shocks turned on some barry white music and told the Toyos to simmer down in the noise band it makes. :LOL:

BUT, here's my guess
- The cutaway section on the rear wheel liner is allowing sound to escape instead of build in the rear liner/making it reverberate. The sound isn't traveling on a smooth surface now, it's bouncing into stuff and deflecting.
- I'm guessing the additional inch in the front maybe have lessened the noise by making it less concentrated, it's escaping easier.
(The difference between blowing through a whistle vs a tube that's too large to concentrate the wind effectively)

I'll come back and say I'm full of it if I'm wrong.
But I think they're a smidge less audible in the sound range they make noise.
(Over 50mph, loud road surface, MDS on with the engine barely working thus no exhaust note, not a lot of wind noise hitting the front of the truck on the front).

Attachments

• TerraFlexDay1.jpg
    TerraFlexDay1.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 102

tdager

Reaction score
I've now had my Toyo AT3s for 3 months and they have been great. Road noise and comfort equal to or better than the OEM GY Tourings and very good off road. Louisiana rain storms, piece of cake. Gravel roads, no problems and no stones stuck in the tread! Mud and creek crossing at the hunt camp, handled with ease. I also think they even look better than the Tourings on the Limited, which was a surprise.

View attachment 71437
View attachment 71438
Did you go with the stock tire size or a different one?

noealmeida94

Reaction score
Bought a ‘21 rebel, just ordered the Toyos after many hours of searching online and reading mixed reviews about different brands. This post and review set me on buying them for my truck. Thanks for the input, will write on my own experience in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread