5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Ram - Big Horn or Laramie?

Blahargoue

Reaction score
There are a lot of clearance specials (at least in CA.) Right now. Bighorn trims are going for about $38k. Laramie's for $44k. I just looked at several examples at a RAM dealer in Placerville, CA. while my 2020 Laramie was in for repairs again (won't take fuel when filling up).

I liked the Bighorn and cloth seats in the hot summer. Heck, I even like the Tradesman. But my wife wanted the 8 way power passenger seat in the Laramie along with the upgraded sound system. We owned a '17 Laramie so it was difficult for her to "go backwards." The ventilated seats in the Laramie do a pretty good job of cooling your back and butt on 100° plus days.

Blahargoue

Reaction score
Here's an add for one of the Bighorns I glanced at.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201219-120359_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20201219-120359_Google.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 46

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I could be wrong...but I think most Laramies have leather, air suspension and sun roof. My big horn has all of the options you mentioned except for leather (which I wish I had). Also I have heated steering wheel. Personally, I think my cloth seats in my Ford were more comfortable, but definitely like my Ram over all better than the F150.
Actually, all Laramies have leather trimmed seats. The only model that has air suspension as a standard feature is the Limited, at least through 2020 MY. Air suspension is an option on the Laramie, just like it is on the Big Horn. Same with the sunroof. Dealers in my area don't have many Laramies or Big Horns with air suspension, but most of both models will have sunroofs here.

As far as Big Horn versus Laramie, I prefer the Laramie. If I was to option a Big Horn the same as my Laramie, I would have spent nearly the same amount. And I wouldn't have had the proximity entry, or ventilated seats (which were a must have for me). The only Big Horn I would even think about buying is the built-to-serve edition.

Last edited:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was talking with my dealer the other day about trade-in/resale values and his opinion, which I agree with, is that the Big Horn is the best for holding it's value the because it typically has the most wanted core features where the Laramie and Limited which have thousands of dollars in options loose the value of those options almost immediately and your left with a truck that is close to the value of a Big Horn at sell time. Makes a lot of sense and matches my personal experience.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those with Big Horns, or know more than I do, what packages do you recommend? Ideally looking for Package 2 and LED Package but curious what else is out there. I won’t be hauling or towing a lot so I may not need the top tier towing package...
Level 2 package, north package, and *not* the towing package just try to get the brake controller on its own so that you keep power folding mirrors. That is a great setup.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shop around. I was set on a well equipped big horn and just so happened to stop by the local dealer and found a Laramie level 1 that they was willing to haggle down on and ended up getting it priced very close to a loaded big horn I originally spec’d out. Plus got leather, ventilated seats, proxy door handles and power tailgate release which I don’t think you can get factory in the big horn trim. Even though it seems the big horns have deeper discounts now compared to the Laramies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

midntrdr

Reaction score
Does anyone who’s purchased a Big Horn regretted not buying a Laramie or not getting a certain option/package when purchasing your vehicle?
Get the 33 gallon tank if you can find it, the standard 23 gallon is a joke (especially if you tow), spring for the 12 inch screen it’s totally worth it, I normally don’t like sunroofs but the panoroof is really cool. No regrets on the eTorque hemi, very smooth start/stop functionality.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, all Laramies have leather trimmed seats. The only model that has air suspension as a standard feature is the Limited, at least through 2020 MY. Air suspension is an option on the Laramie, just like it is on the Big Horn. Same with the sunroof. Dealers in my area don't have many Laramies or Big Horns with air suspension, but most of both models will have sunroofs here.

As far as Big Horn versus Laramie, I prefer the Laramie. If I was to option a Big Horn the same as my Laramie, I would have spent nearly the same amount. And I wouldn't have had the proximity entry, or ventilated seats (which were a must have for me). The only Big Horn I would even think about buying is the built-to-serve edition.
Ah ok, makes sense. I probably would prefer a Laramie for my next truck...with ORG though.

emings

Reaction score
I think the decision really comes down to cloth vs. leather seats. For me I wanted cloth seats because I dont particular care for leather and the incentives are better on the big horn/lonestar

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Does anyone who’s purchased a Big Horn regretted not buying a Laramie or not getting a certain option/package when purchasing your vehicle?
I ordered but did not yet receive a Big Horn 4x4 Crew 6'4" box. I added Lvl2, Off Road Group, 5 passenger seating, sunroof, BlindSpot and Safety Group 1. Wish I would have gotten Built To Serve pkg and left seating and ORG alone.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first two Rams were Big Horns and many people thought the interior was pretty upscale. I ordered a Laramie this time because the standard features would be what I would want, and I found the optional (no cost) Canyon Brown interior stunning. In fact, I think it's more appealing than the standard Limited interior.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044505 miles.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Had to have 12” screen but most dealers load up the options with 12” screen making eg Laramie ridiculously priced, so got a Lone Star with 12”, Level 2, and the option I never really knew I needed until I had - the Multi-Function Tailgate ((MFT). They kill me how they package trucks. My Lone Star was loaded with everything except LED lighting 😩. I wasn’t paying attention, but I did get the 12” screen 😂 and the bonus was the MFT and BUG. To remedy LED headlights I just did Lasfit full LED bulb replacement. Got the Diamond Crystal Black Night Edition which the stock headlights are blacked/smoked out. To me this look actually makes the front end look more robust vs LED housing, like a truck should look (but I’m sure that’s just my rationalization for not getting the LED pkg 😂)....Trade-offs...Probably would’ve taken LED vs MFT pkg, but like I said now that I have MFT would’ve actually wanted both these options. The other ‘nice to have’ would’ve been memory seating, but think Ram only options this in Laramie and above. Live in South Texas so don’t need hot a** leather seats and Ram deluxe cloth bucket seats are the best in the business. All in all, LOVE MY TRUCK! Bought in September, MSRP $52,500, paid $42,500, so $10K off list. Not bad.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why they make trucks in different flavors like ice cream - I hate the way the 12" screen looks (I think it looks like someone glued a tablet to the dash), and I like having regular knobs and buttons to make things happen where I don't have to be looking away from the road. Once you go past Bighorn pretty much all lines have the 12" screen.

TxAg98

Reaction score
So I was originally looking at the Big Horns with the 12" screen. By the time I got one optioned out with the sport package and offroad group, I found a Laramie with the Southwest Package that was in the same price range. Southwest package is awesome, but I think is limited to TX and surrounding states. Got me the pano sunroof, power sidesteps, and unique paintjob, kind of sport, kind of laramie. Also had the Offroad group. Best selling point for me is the vented seats for the OK summer. It was MSRP for $57k and I got it for $45k.

Sherran

Reaction score

My old truck took a poo so I needed another vehicle within a week as I was transporting my dad to and from physical therapy. I don't need a truck but I want one. It was an 04 Ram 1500 Laramie Lonestar edition which at the time was the best you could get. It was my birthday present when I was 16 (im 27 now) and I loved that truck.

With the time crunch I didn't have much time to look around. I don't like chrome so I knew I wanted a night edition and at the time in my area (San Antonio, TX area Sept./Oct. 2019) there were only black Lonestars.. No Laramies which is what I wanted.

I wish I had Ram Box and MFTG - sure I don't use my truck for truck things but seems cool to have so why not? But the first thing that comes to mind is passive entry. At the time of looking, if it didn't have leather seats then I didn't want it but I was actually surprised by how nice the premium cloth seats are.

If I had to choose one thing, it would be passive entry.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
I guess I got lucky, my big horn has level 2 and leather, someone pushed the dealer into upgrading the interior to leather and then backed out of the deal,I picked it up for just under 42k ,sticker plus the upgrading was over 55k.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of good information here. Besides bighorn and Laramie, make sure you know the difference between quad cab and crew cab.

Crew cab is ALOT bigger...especially with 2 kids. It is more expensive for a crew cab, but keep that in mind.

Lastly, if they have a 2020 on the lot, give it a good look because if anything, that is where you can save a lot more money.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of good information here. Besides bighorn and Laramie, make sure you know the difference between quad cab and crew cab.

Crew cab is ALOT bigger...especially with 2 kids. It is more expensive for a crew cab, but keep that in mind.

Lastly, if they have a 2020 on the lot, give it a good look because if anything, that is where you can save a lot more money.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I was so cheap when I got my BigHorn. I paid $28k for my quad cab but I really should have gotten the crew cab for $4k more....smh. Next time.

rbundy84

Reaction score
Engine question - any issues with the eTorque engine? Pros/cons?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Engine question - any issues with the eTorque engine? Pros/cons?
You'll get some mixed answers on this. Personally I love my Etorque, it actually helps me a lot with mpg, overall gas savings as well as smooths out the shifting, etc. Other people have needed their battery packs replaced or have had issues with their stop/start system.

Users who are viewing this thread