5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Ram - Big Horn or Laramie?

rbundy84

Reaction score
I am looking to buying my first truck (after going through several cars and currently driving a 2014 Chevy Equinox as my wife won the last battle and got a Chrysler Pacifica in 2018, but now it’s my turn!)

Im looking about the differences between the Big Horn and Laramie. Ideally would like to spend $45k-$50k max, and the absolute musts are heated seats, remote start, back up camera, power folding mirrors, and parking sensors. I currently have leather seats (which is nice to have especially with two small children). I know the Big Horn has the package which includes all of this (except for leather seats).

Besides leather seats, any major differences for the Laramie, and is it worth the extra $3-5k for Laramie over Big Horn?

Thank you for your help to a newbie!

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
I have a Laramie and love it. That being said the Big Horns are nice too with the Level 2 Equipment Group. The cloth interior Ram has is better than any other truck IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me personally, my big horn build was almost identical in price to the Laramie I would get. So in that case the Laramie was a no brainer, I lucked into a truck that was near me and close to what I wanted.
If you're looking at 45-50k then that's a decent big horn or almost a no option Laramie.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go sit in them. As you mentioned, other than leather, you can equip them very similar. The Big Horns however seem to get the better discounts from the factory so the price difference can be worthy to go BH. For me, when I was looking at them, I sat in both and the style of the Laramie just wasn’t “me” so I went with a BH Level 2 Off Road.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Laramie and love it. That being said the Big Horns are nice too with the Level 2 Equipment Group. The cloth interior Ram has is better than any other truck IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could be wrong...but I think most Laramies have leather, air suspension and sun roof. My big horn has all of the options you mentioned except for leather (which I wish I had). Also I have heated steering wheel. Personally, I think my cloth seats in my Ford were more comfortable, but definitely like my Ram over all better than the F150.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking to buying my first truck (after going through several cars and currently driving a 2014 Chevy Equinox as my wife won the last battle and got a Chrysler Pacifica in 2018, but now it’s my turn!)

Im looking about the differences between the Big Horn and Laramie. Ideally would like to spend $45k-$50k max, and the absolute musts are heated seats, remote start, back up camera, power folding mirrors, and parking sensors. I currently have leather seats (which is nice to have especially with two small children). I know the Big Horn has the package which includes all of this (except for leather seats).

Besides leather seats, any major differences for the Laramie, and is it worth the extra $3-5k for Laramie over Big Horn?

Thank you for your help to a newbie!
I have everything you mentioned except the power folding mirrors, and that's only because I got the tow package which deleted my power folding mirrors. I have a 2019 Bighorn 4WD Crew Cab that I bought new in January 2019 and I paid $36750 plus tax and tag. I have Level 2 package, North package, got them to throw in a spray-in bedliner, all weather floor mats, and a few other things I'd have to remember.

In hindsight: I would rather have the power folding mirrors than the tow mirrors. Beyond that I really like the truck and am super satisfied with the package I selected.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Right now with RAM's "employee pricing for all" and other incentives, you should have no problem finding a nicely equipped new Laramie for under $50k. Maybe not much under $50k, but definitely less.

I'm looking at my local dealer's lot online, and while they're not a great dealer, I have yet to see them outright lie on their website.
They've got several new 2021 Laramies, all with MSRPs between $54k and $55k, all advertised at $48k to $49k right now. And thats before any negotiations. I took a quick peek at a few, and while not fully loaded, they do have a decent set of options.

If you'd like to drop down closer to the bottom of your range, $45k-ish, you can definitely find some nice Big Horns close to that. Be prepared to travel a bit to get the deal, and I'd definitely recommend the the premium lighting group. The LED headlamps/turn signals are the same as a Laramie's then, and a nice improvement over the base halogens.

rbundy84

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone! Luckily I live near a metro area (St Louis) so there are a lot of options to choose from. I’ve seen some Laramies in the $45-$46k range with the Laramie 1 package, and some Big Horns in the $43k-$45k range with the Big Horn 2 package after doing some quick research

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience has been the dealers have far more room to negotiate on a Big Horn/Lone Star. We have a 5th Gen Laramie and a 5th Gen Lone Star in the family. We went to six dealers to get the best deal from each. Every one of the offered steeper discounts (dealer discount, rebates, negotiated extras) on the Lone Star than they did the Laramie. When asked why, they all said the same thing - we can’t get enough Laramie’s to satisfy demand but have plenty of Big Horns and Lone Stars.

Purchased September 2020:
2020 BigHorn/Lone Star 2WD CC
MSRP= $47,240
Rebates = $6000 including my USAA $1000
Dealer Discount = $5181
Price after Rebates/Discounts = $36,059
Out the door price with TTL = $36,789 (sales tax break due to my trade)

Also, if it makes a difference, the Laramie has passenger power seat...you can’t get it on the Big Horn/Lone Star...if your passenger is vertically challenged.

Last edited:

mtbiker033

Reaction score
the cloth seats are actually really nice and you could always get cool seat covers (I had some nice ones on my 2010 Big Horn; Cal Trends)

rbundy84

Reaction score
For those with Big Horns, or know more than I do, what packages do you recommend? Ideally looking for Package 2 and LED Package but curious what else is out there. I won’t be hauling or towing a lot so I may not need the top tier towing package...

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those with Big Horns, or know more than I do, what packages do you recommend? Ideally looking for Package 2 and LED Package but curious what else is out there. I won’t be hauling or towing a lot so I may not need the top tier towing package...
Brown interior is fantastic...easy clean up with zero stains, change the interior bulbs to LEDs (we have Lasfit LEDs) and the interior lights up immediately with vibrant brown. We have eTorque and have had no problems but others have so can be a gamble. 3.92 rear end is all we purchase as they’re snappier with a minimal loss of MPGs.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you think you may ever tow at all, at least get the integrated brake controller. Unless you have an aftermarket preference then it doesn't matter. The OEM integrated one can be costly to add later.

puba08

Reaction score
The only thing my Bighorn didn’t come with that I wanted and that I think should definitely be an option is the sport hood that the Laramie/Rebel has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

midntrdr

Reaction score
I’ve had both and the Laramie is really much nicer. I had a 19 Big Horn with level 2, sport appearance, LED light package, 9 speaker alpine system, 8.4 Nav radio, blind spot monitors, 20 inch wheels, etc. and the sticker was 55k. A Laramie with level 1 and sport appearance is about the same price since most of the options on my Big Horn are standard with the Laramie. It was a 2 year lease and there was more incentives on the Big Horns at that time. This time I purchased and I went with a Laramie Night edition and it feels like a totally different truck, feels like a luxury car inside. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVED my Big Horn and the cloth seats are really comfortable but the Laramie has a lot of little extras. Proximity sensor to unlock and lock the doors without pushing the fob, memory settings for the seat and mirrors, extra leather wrapped/stitched sections on the doors and dash, nicer speaker grills, nicer door entry sill plates, ambient lighting, heated AND cooled seats, nicer center console lid, reclining rear seats, auto high beams, rain sensing wipers, auto tailgate release on key fob and overhead console, just to name few things.

rbundy84

Reaction score
I’ve had both and the Laramie is really much nicer. I had a 19 Big Horn with level 2, sport appearance, LED light package, 9 speaker alpine system, 8.4 Nav radio, blind spot monitors, 20 inch wheels, etc. and the sticker was 55k. A Laramie with level 1 and sport appearance is about the same price since most of the options on my Big Horn are standard with the Laramie. It was a 2 year lease and there was more incentives on the Big Horns at that time. This time I purchased and I went with a Laramie Night edition and it feels like a totally different truck, feels like a luxury car inside. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVED my Big Horn and the cloth seats are really comfortable but the Laramie has a lot of little extras. Proximity sensor to unlock and lock the doors without pushing the fob, memory settings for the seat and mirrors, extra leather wrapped/stitched sections on the doors and dash, nicer speaker grills, nicer door entry sill plates, ambient lighting, heated AND cooled seats, nicer center console lid, reclining rear seats, auto high beams, rain sensing wipers, auto tailgate release on key fob and overhead console, just to name few things.
This is great information - thanks!

Rexx

Reaction score
Something I haven’t seen mentioned is that you can’t get passive entry in the Big Horn (unless that’s changed in the 2021). There was a mega thread on this forum about people disappointed the Big Horn did not have passive entry and it was quite the chore to try and add it (many unsuccessful).

Edit: I see midntrdr mentioned it as I was typing my reply. Still a big deal to a lot of people as many people were disappointed to not have it on their Big Horns when the 2019 first came out.

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
Laramies don’t have full leather seats , there is suede inserts , not sure if that’s a dealbreaker . Others on the forum have mentioned there is an option to add full leather to Laramie build but I can’t confirm.

rbundy84

Reaction score
Does anyone who’s purchased a Big Horn regretted not buying a Laramie or not getting a certain option/package when purchasing your vehicle?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone who’s purchased a Big Horn regretted not buying a Laramie or not getting a certain option/package when purchasing your vehicle?
Probably the biggest thing is if you're towing often, or really heavy on the pedal, lift and tires etc, the 33 gallon tank would be really really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread