5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Ram - Big Horn or Laramie?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just wonder how that suede is going to hold up after a while. It's easier to clean the leather as well when it's all leather.
It seems to be holding up just fine for the 15 months I've owned it. No signs of wear at all. Still looks new. I also don't think it's real suede, but some type of synthetic suede look-alike. I have zero concerns about it wearing out. If you don't like the looks that's fine. But I think any concerns about wear are unfounded.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
It seems to be holding up just fine for the 15 months I've owned it. No signs of wear at all. Still looks new. I also don't think it's real suede, but some type of synthetic suede look-alike. I have zero concerns about it wearing out. If you don't like the looks that's fine. But I think any concerns about wear are unfounded.
Thanks, that's good to know. I immediately shied away from the Laramie when I saw that, but hearing this helps.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
If leather is an important deciding factor, then one option is to get the better incentives on the Big Horn and use the saving to add Katskin leather seat covering replacements. That is what I choose to do. If you are handy, you can install a kit yourself, or most dealers offer it as an upgrade. Many dealers farm the actual work out, so keep the dealer honest by researching who does those installations in your area and get quotes from them. The Katskins are as good as or better than factory leather, and you have more colors and styles to choose from than factory.
Eating my words...Again 😂...While the deluxe cloth seats are awesome I just want to fully implement Ram’s recent designation as “Luxury CAR of the Year”, so I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered Katzkins. Should arrive at installer on 23 Feb. I’m excited about making it full luxury truck now with leather, 12” screen, etc so my wife’s 530i isn’t the only luxury car in the garage 😉😂.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking to buying my first truck (after going through several cars and currently driving a 2014 Chevy Equinox as my wife won the last battle and got a Chrysler Pacifica in 2018, but now it’s my turn!)

Im looking about the differences between the Big Horn and Laramie. Ideally would like to spend $45k-$50k max, and the absolute musts are heated seats, remote start, back up camera, power folding mirrors, and parking sensors. I currently have leather seats (which is nice to have especially with two small children). I know the Big Horn has the package which includes all of this (except for leather seats).

Besides leather seats, any major differences for the Laramie, and is it worth the extra $3-5k for Laramie over Big Horn?

Thank you for your help to a newbie!
Did you get your truck yet? Level 2 equipment on my Bighorn Sport looks good. Darker interior accents than non sport, seats are comfortable and high quality cloth. Also, look at payload stickers between the trims. The more options/higher trim the lower the payload will be if that matters to you. I was surprised to see some Laramies with under 1500lb payloads.

rbundy84

Reaction score
Came close at the end of the year, but with lack of rebates right now, I’m holding off until probably Memorial Day, unless I find a deal before then. A lot of great information on this thread

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love the look of leather but man oh man... these deluxe cloth seats are sumthin else! Warm in the winter, cool in the summer, looks sharp, no freezing or burning your bum, comfy as hell on long drives. I’m saving the $1.5k Katzkin installation for a level and bigger tires...

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Love the look of leather but man oh man... these deluxe cloth seats are sumthin else! Warm in the winter, cool in the summer, looks sharp, no freezing or burning your bum, comfy as hell on long drives. I’m saving the $1.5k Katzkin installation for a level and bigger tires...
Yeah leather looks good for a while but in time? I'm still happy with my 2001 Dodge 1500 and 1990 Celica cloth seats, can't say that for my 2006 Honda Accord and 1994 Ford Explorer leather.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Came close at the end of the year, but with lack of rebates right now, I’m holding off until probably Memorial Day, unless I find a deal before then. A lot of great information on this thread
Wait for Ram’s “Truck Month” in March I think, usually good deals.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the suede inserts actually one of the reasons I went with the lamarie versus big horn/Katzkin. It’ll hold up to wear just fine for the same in my Charger and previous cars and was never an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ram Dude

Reaction score
You nailed it, $1.5K installed is exactly what it cost me 😩...NO MORE MODS AFTER THIS!...At least that's what I’m telling myself 😂.

Sushiyummy

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone! Luckily I live near a metro area (St Louis) so there are a lot of options to choose from. I’ve seen some Laramies in the $45-$46k range with the Laramie 1 package, and some Big Horns in the $43k-$45k range with the Big Horn 2 package after doing some quick research
Where are you?
Laramie with Level 1 will have more option then Bighorn Level 2 Package
I got Bighorn Level 2 and some upgrade. I did a lot of research before I place my order, but there are a lot of things I don't know till I own one.

Sushiyummy

Reaction score
If you think you may ever tow at all, at least get the integrated brake controller. Unless you have an aftermarket preference then it doesn't matter. The OEM integrated one can be costly to add later.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
He already said: " no Towing"

Sushiyummy

Reaction score
I’ve had both and the Laramie is really much nicer. I had a 19 Big Horn with level 2, sport appearance, LED light package, 9 speaker alpine system, 8.4 Nav radio, blind spot monitors, 20 inch wheels, etc. and the sticker was 55k. A Laramie with level 1 and sport appearance is about the same price since most of the options on my Big Horn are standard with the Laramie. It was a 2 year lease and there was more incentives on the Big Horns at that time. This time I purchased and I went with a Laramie Night edition and it feels like a totally different truck, feels like a luxury car inside. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVED my Big Horn and the cloth seats are really comfortable but the Laramie has a lot of little extras. Proximity sensor to unlock and lock the doors without pushing the fob, memory settings for the seat and mirrors, extra leather wrapped/stitched sections on the doors and dash, nicer speaker grills, nicer door entry sill plates, ambient lighting, heated AND cooled seats, nicer center console lid, reclining rear seats, auto high beams, rain sensing wipers, auto tailgate release on key fob and overhead console, just to name few things.
I'm agree , if you want to have Luxury and $$ to spend, go for Laramie or $$ saving go for Bighorn with upgrade.

Sushiyummy

Reaction score
Does anyone who’s purchased a Big Horn regretted not buying a Laramie or not getting a certain option/package when purchasing your vehicle?
There is one thing I wish I can have for Bighorn is Tailgate open warning.

Sushiyummy

Reaction score
I ordered but did not yet receive a Big Horn 4x4 Crew 6'4" box. I added Lvl2, Off Road Group, 5 passenger seating, sunroof, BlindSpot and Safety Group 1. Wish I would have gotten Built To Serve pkg and left seating and ORG alone.
Big Horn 4x4 Crew 6'4" box... that is a big beast my friend

Users who are viewing this thread