5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Paint Correction - Questions

KCViper

Reaction score
I bought the Griots G9. Lifetime warranty and gets excellent reviews. Check out youtube for various polisher reviews from people who make a living using them and it should help in your decision!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everything is here, now just need the weather to cooperate and time on my side!

I also have a stack of microfiber clothes, but not sure if I have enough or high enough quality for the job yet. Sounds like I’ll go through quite a few between wiping polish off and ceramic application.
70a1e663e8cc978bde0166062a5774bb.jpg

One thing that surprised me: the Griots Boss pads are about half thickness of the others I purchased, between that and the 6.5” diameter, I’m concerned they won’t conform to contours as well. Can definitely see how a smaller diameter pad would be useful in certain areas.
6da328299cae97aa16e478354608f73e.jpg

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

I also have a stack of microfiber clothes, but not sure if I have enough or high enough quality for the job yet. Sounds like I’ll go through quite a few between wiping polish off and ceramic application.
Sweet! You’re on the right track man!

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score

Looks great, you have everything you need. Just for reference if I was doing a truck I would probably go through about 4-5 of the disposable microfiber wiping off ceramic. All the others you can wash and reuse.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally found a day to get this going. I’m about half way through paint correcting the truck now. Hoping to finish up tonight and ceramic coat it.

This is certainly the most OCD thing I’ve ever done, but the results are pretty satisfying.

I’m pretty surprised how much it takes to knock the swirl down. This is probably the most rookie comment ever, but you get the feeling you’d have to really get after it to do any real damage.

I ended up preferring the Griots Orange pad with the 3D One polish for my black Ram with 20k mi on it. I have 3 or 4 scratches I won’t try to get out because they could be too deep, but even going over them enough to correct the swirl in the area helped hide them quite a lot.

The amount of pop this black paint has is an unexpected benefit! Can’t wait to bring it outside in the morning!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah, one question... I’ve been wiping the remaining polish off with microfiber cloths as I go, but it seems greasy and tough to remove completely. I assume the detail spray will clean it off, but haven’t gotten there yet. Any tips for polish cleanup?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ah, one question... I’ve been wiping the remaining polish off with microfiber cloths as I go, but it seems greasy and tough to remove completely. I assume the detail spray will clean it off, but haven’t gotten there yet. Any tips for polish cleanup?
I don’t recommend using detail spray as this will need to be removed anyway before coating. Use a 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol (or commercial panel wipe). That will remove all traces of polish and leave the paint nice and clean for the next step.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t recommend using detail spray as this will need to be removed anyway before coating. Use a 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol (or commercial panel wipe). That will remove all traces of polish and leave the paint nice and clean for the next step.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I used the wrong terminology. I have a bottle of DP Coating Prep Spray that I’ll try after I get this other side done.

So far, so good!
a868eac576f94c4d64cb51d26e7a1ef6.jpg

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I was wondering how you were doing. You can try a damp microfiber too to wipe off the residue, then go back over it with prep spray before coating. If you put straight water in a spray bottle then when you think you are done, you can mist the panel run over one more time with the buffer and it will wipe off easier. You are just drying out the compound. Looks great, I am really happy for you, thanks for sharing!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thank you, I appreciate that. I used the wrong terminology. I have a bottle of DP Coating Prep Spray that I’ll try after I get this other side done.

So far, so good!
a868eac576f94c4d64cb51d26e7a1ef6.jpg
Awesome. That will def work. Looking good so far!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I’m tapping out for the night.

Got one coat on and have about half of the 50ml bottle left. Should I do another coat tomorrow?

I also didn’t do any glass, and don’t have a bottle of reload to hit it with afterwards, per the instructions.

Truck looks phenomenal. I can go to bed happy!
9bef30752a6b0a900456eab95779d1ea.jpg

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just my luck, it’s set to snow tomorrow am during commute... in KS!

From my research, I’ll probably try get another coat on today mid-day. I’m reading it’s best to do that within 60 mins of the first, but I missed that window. Hopefully it goes on well.

Thanks for everybody’s help. Truly appreciate y’all!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rolled it out into the sun just now. Paint correction looks really great, but the coating is a bit of a hot mess. Lots of hazing on a few areas. Some of it wiped off alright, but there’s some I can’t seem to get with a microfiber.

Open to any tips if you have them. I’m off to YouTube to see what I can learn.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Rolled it out into the sun just now. Paint correction looks really great, but the coating is a bit of a hot mess. Lots of hazing on a few areas. Some of it wiped off alright, but there’s some I can’t seem to get with a microfiber.

Hmm. I don’t have any first hand experience with ceramic coatings. Was it too cold when your applied it perhaps?

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the hazing is also known as “high spots.” Take a look at the video below on various methods to remove these areas depending on time elapsed since application.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have used a few coatings similar to cquartz. When I did my 2019 I had accidentally coated over a spot with polish residue still on it. I was able to use the orange compounding pad to remove the coating, polish it and recoat the area. You can also usually level out coating with an additional application.

This go round with my 2021 I didn't want to spend quite as much time with the orange compound pad so I stepped up to some microfiber pads that really removed swirls quickly but wasn't too aggressive of a pad. After this I would follow with a black foam pad.

1618871279583.png

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I was able to correct most of the high spots with some elbow grease (which makes me wonder if I wore the coating off in areas, guess I’ll find out) and in some cases reapplying over the regions and removing it.

It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty darn good. I’m calling it!

I’ll write some lessons learned from a newbie later for anyone’s future benefit.

4d842c65371f735967840b0ba7ce9a56.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I was able to correct most of the high spots with some elbow grease (which makes me wonder if I wore the coating off in areas, guess I’ll find out) and in some cases reapplying over the regions and removing it.

It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty darn good. I’m calling it!

I’ll write some lessons learned from a newbie later for anyone’s future benefit.

4d842c65371f735967840b0ba7ce9a56.jpg
Looks great. Congrats!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2c5cda02a7773a0120276cb3f2065990.jpg

The amount of metallic in this paint is surprising! It’s like it was disguised prior to this process

Users who are viewing this thread