5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Recall Coming: Power Steering

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealership already has my truck, so I'll be pinging them next week to make sure they do the recall while they have it.

MSchnLoneStar19

Reaction score
The dealership already has my truck, so I'll be pinging them next week to make sure they do the recall while they have it.
I am taking mine in for a Brake Assit Issue. So, i’ll Have them do the power steering work then. I just hope they know about it.

It was also was in for loose lug nut on the front right sway bar.

But, I LOVE this truck !!!

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well :poop:! Just had it in for the ABS recall I received a couple months ago and software updates yesterday. Been dragging my feet on those incase there were others that come up and could just get them all done at once. Guess I should of waited a bit longer!:rolleyes: The dealer did not know about the power steering one yet.

djwdjw

Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing the details of this "fix". You'd think resolving/checking a "fastener that grounds the battery wasn't secured properly in manufacturing" could be done in a few minutes in your own garage.

If anyone has the repair details, please post. Thanks.

MSchnLoneStar19

Reaction score
Local Service Department said they haven’t heard from Chrysler yet and will have to wait to see if my VIN is effected...

What the heck ?!? You think they would be a little concerned with my safety.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing the details of this "fix". You'd think resolving/checking a "fastener that grounds the battery wasn't secured properly in manufacturing" could be done in a few minutes in your own garage.

If anyone has the repair details, please post. Thanks.

Yeah, but, here's the thing. If it's a potential crash-risk issue, Ram HAS to have the dealers do it, in order to guarantee (a) it WAS done and (b) that it was done PROPERLY, probably to a specified torque value.

To let owners make the repair themselves would be an abdication of FCA's due-diligence, and would open them for a lot of extra damages when lawsuits ensue. Sure, anyone on this forum who knows which fastener to turn could do it themselves, but you're failing to consider that America as a nation is always looking for someone they can sue the pants off of. FCA/Ram has to do it right, in order to protect themselves and their customers.

I say force your dealership service department to do the recall. First of all, they are supposed to be the experts. Second, if there is a crash and a resulting lawsuit, and there is even a suggestion that an owner did the work themselves rather than have the dealer do it, said owner could risk any potential award they might have received due to FCA's assembly-line error causing their vehicle to crash.

Just my 2-cents worth.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Yeah, but, here's the thing. If it's a potential crash-risk issue, Ram HAS to have the dealers do it, in order to guarantee (a) it WAS done and (b) that it was done PROPERLY, probably to a specified torque value.

To let owners make the repair themselves would be an abdication of FCA's due-diligence, and would open them for a lot of extra damages when lawsuits ensue. Sure, anyone on this forum who knows which fastener to turn could do it themselves, but you're failing to consider that America as a nation is always looking for someone they can sue the pants off of. FCA/Ram has to do it right, in order to protect themselves and their customers.

I say force your dealership service department to do the recall. First of all, they are supposed to be the experts. Second, if there is a crash and a resulting lawsuit, and there is even a suggestion that an owner did the work themselves rather than have the dealer do it, said owner could risk any potential award they might have received due to FCA's assembly-line error causing their vehicle to crash.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Yes, I get all that. I'd just prefer to verify the problem myself and check the work myself. Everyone else can lawyer-up and posterior-cover.

I'd like to avoid a ps problem between now and the time the dealer gets around to it.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they get the specifics to the dealership service departments prior to alarming the owners? It just adds confusion and emotion to the whole situation when owners contact the dealership and they seem to know nothing about it.

Pribilof

Reaction score
I think I read in a news release that this affects trucks built before 10/25/18.

Dealers probably dont even have details of the fix yet much less the VIN range.

FCA is required to announce the recall so owners are aware of the safety issues. You'll get a postcard in the mail if you're affected. This is how the law works.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I get all that. I'd just prefer to verify the problem myself and check the work myself. Everyone else can lawyer-up and posterior-cover.

I'd like to avoid a ps problem between now and the time the dealer gets around to it.

That's a good sense approach, I'd do the same thing if I was in your shoes. But still, the dealership service dept should check it regardless.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I read in a news release that this affects trucks built before 10/25/18.

Dealers probably dont even have details of the fix yet much less the VIN range.

FCA is required to announce the recall so owners are aware of the safety issues. You'll get a postcard in the mail if you're affected. This is how the law works.
I know my truck was built 9/25/18. In the digital age, a press release, an uninformed service network, and snail mail isn't the correct answer. The manufacturer should be more prepared over and above the letter of the law. They have brand/reputation exposure.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know my truck was built 9/25/18. In the digital age, a press release, an uninformed service network, and snail mail isn't the correct answer. The manufacturer should be more prepared over and above the letter of the law. They have brand/reputation exposure.

Come to think of it, if they can do over-the-air software updates, surely they can also do an over-the-air notification to each individual VIN affected, or at least to every vehicle in the potentially largest pool (in this case, all 2019 1500 DT vehicles built before 10/25/2019).

They'd still have to do the postcard mailing thing to satisfy the government and the attorneys, but it would sure be nice if you start it up one morning and the display beeps and shows "Potential safety issue with power-steering electrical ground cable loosening. Please tap 'OK' on your display to acknowledge, and we will automatically create an appointment for you to bring it to your nearest dealership service department." Next it shows you the next available appointment, you accept, it emails you a calendar reminder, and on the day of the appointment when you start it up it pops up a reminder of the appointment, along with the map with navigation instructions to your appointed or chosen dealership. Now wouldn't THAT be great customer service :)

Wishful thinking, I know, but it sure would be nice if Ram started being proactive, as well as making it as easy on customers to (a) receive prompt, appropriate notification, and (b) make it as quick and painless as possible to resolve the issue.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
Just checked my VIN, and the recall shows up. Luckily I have a appt for oil change and couple other things Monday so I'll have them add this to the to-do list.

Can check your VIN for recalls at this link: NHTSA Recalls

SteeringRecall.JPG

JDBob35a

Reaction score
So just called the dealer, have an appt Monday to look at the noisy brakes and change oil, asked if they could take care of the ground wire recall and get it tightened up. He told me they wont' have time but will schedule another appt. to bring it in for that. If these jokes can't tighten a ground wire while the oil is draining I need to find a new dealer.

Quicker10u

Reaction score
Can someone just post a picture of this troublesome ground connection so I can take care of it? Where is it located? Is it specific to the EPS or is it a main ground??

Jasonml24

Reaction score
Just called my dealer about the recall and he said the parts won’t be available until May. I said what parts? I told him the recall just calls for an inspection of the cable and to make sure it’s tight. So not sure what parts he’s talking about. Pretty sad that we are more up to date then the dealers at this point.

djwdjw

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread