5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Recall Coming: Power Steering

Jasonml24

Reaction score
Awesome! Exactly what I wanted. Just wanted to be proactive. I'll take it to the dealer when they get the 'Parts' required in freaking May....:unsure:
Service advisor just left me a voicemail and said he wanted to “clarify” the parts he was talking about. His claim is if the mechanic were to snap off the bolt while tightening to spec, that the bolt is unavailable until May and therefore I would be up a creek until then. I guess I must really be really missing something on this recall.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Service advisor just left me a voicemail and said he wanted to “clarify” the parts he was talking about. His claim is if the mechanic were to snap off the bolt while tightening to spec, that the bolt is unavailable until May and therefore I would be up a creek until then. I guess I must really be really missing something on this recall.

I don't think I would trust your dealer to air up the tires. Might look for another dealer.

Rich

Reaction score
The Recall just showed up online for my truck. Using the www.mopar.com site with my login, or the MY RAM app on my phone. Nothing shows on the UConnect app on my phone.

It shows up as FCA Recall #V04 and NHTSA Recall #19V-020

Here's the Recall for my truck:
Manufacturer Recall NumberV04

NHTSA Recall Number19V-020

Recall StatusRecall Incomplete

SummaryA loose 12-volt battery ground fastener may cause an intermittent battery ground connection which can result in an intermittent loss of power steering assist with inconsistent steering effort required by the driver.

Safety RiskInconsistent steering effort may contribute to oversteer and understeer conditions which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning

RemedyFCA US will conduct a Voluntary Safety Recall, to remove the suspect ground fastener, inspect and clean the ground stud and cables as needed, and torque the ground fastener between 18 and 22Nm while ensuring both cables are properly secured.

At least I should now be able to contact my dealer about this.

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Come to think of it, if they can do over-the-air software updates, surely they can also do an over-the-air notification to each individual VIN affected, or at least to every vehicle in the potentially largest pool (in this case, all 2019 1500 DT vehicles built before 10/25/2019).

They'd still have to do the postcard mailing thing to satisfy the government and the attorneys, but it would sure be nice if you start it up one morning and the display beeps and shows "Potential safety issue with power-steering electrical ground cable loosening. Please tap 'OK' on your display to acknowledge, and we will automatically create an appointment for you to bring it to your nearest dealership service department." Next it shows you the next available appointment, you accept, it emails you a calendar reminder, and on the day of the appointment when you start it up it pops up a reminder of the appointment, along with the map with navigation instructions to your appointed or chosen dealership. Now wouldn't THAT be great customer service :)

Wishful thinking, I know, but it sure would be nice if Ram started being proactive, as well as making it as easy on customers to (a) receive prompt, appropriate notification, and (b) make it as quick and painless as possible to resolve the issue.

That's gonna be a lot of vehicles, I think you meant 2018.

Tom488

Reaction score
Just checked my VIN, and the recall shows up. Luckily I have a appt for oil change and couple other things Monday so I'll have them add this to the to-do list.
Same here. My truck, built on 11/6, shows no recalls. My previous truck, built on 10/13 (which I refused delivery of due to tow package CF) shows the recall pending.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So just called the dealer, have an appt Monday to look at the noisy brakes and change oil, asked if they could take care of the ground wire recall and get it tightened up.
Good luck. My truck was in the dealership and they had no knowledge of the recall and couldn't find it in their system.

steveved

Reaction score
Just wanted to share what I found out yesterday. I took my 2019 Laramie in for its second oil change and tire rotation at 6000 miles. My truck has an August build date.

I asked them about the power steering TSB. They said they would look into it.

When I picked up the truck at 1pm, they told me that the power steering thing was not a TSB, it is a recall as you guys have noted here. They said they ordered 2 new grounding straps and would call me when they came in. So, it looks like there is more to this than just tightening something up.

They also did 3 TSBs to my truck. One was a unconnect update, another was a transmission computer flash. The third was some body computer flash.

I can post up the TSB numbers later.

I just wanted to point out that my dealer is replacing 2 of my ground straps instead of just tightening them. I perceive that as a good thing.

PTRAM

Reaction score
The Recall just showed up online for my truck. Using the www.mopar.com site with my login, or the MY RAM app on my phone. Nothing shows on the UConnect app on my phone.

It shows up as FCA Recall #V04 and NHTSA Recall #19V-020

Here's the Recall for my truck:

At least I should now be able to contact my dealer about this.

I was at my dealer today for something else, but my head tech performed the recall. It took him about 20 seconds to check a coupe of bolts being tight I believe. I didn't read the whole thing when I checked my VIN yesterday and found it, but he mentioned power steering so must be the recall your referring to.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting, one dealer is going to order and install new grounding straps, and one dealer just makes sure all grounds are tight. Gives me a warm fuzzy all over!!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, one dealer is going to order and install new grounding straps, and one dealer just makes sure all grounds are tight. Gives me a warm fuzzy all over!!
Got the notification through the My Ram app today, and it clearly states that two cables are to be replaced.

Rich

Reaction score
Got the notification through the My Ram app today, and it clearly states that two cables are to be replaced.

You can see mine above and there is no mention of two new cables, so perhaps there are different versions of the recall depending on when your truck was assembled?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can see mine above and there is no mention of two new cables, so perhaps there are different versions of the recall depending on when your truck was assembled?
No, I believe they’re one and the same, and I just skimmed over the text too quickly. The text recall states that both cables need to be checked, as well as the suspect ground fastener(s), but it does NOT mention replacement. I inferred this incorrectly. Remove, inspect, clean, reinstall...that’s it.

Rich

Reaction score
No, I believe they’re one and the same, and I just skimmed over the text too quickly. The text recall states that both cables need to be checked, as well as the suspect ground fastener(s), but it does NOT mention replacement. I inferred this incorrectly. Remove, inspect, clean, reinstall...that’s it.

Thanks for the clarification!

PTRAM

Reaction score
He may have replaced the ground washer as I was not watching.. It was quick and I may have overstated the quickness of 20 seconds, but he did just check the cables and fasteners apparently and this was done with me sitting in the service line inside the building---did not take it to the garage area since it was such a quick time involved. He did say he had to do several of the new ones on the lot after closing up at 3:00 PM on Saturday so I am guessing he will just go to the vehicles on the lot and perform the recall there.

Last edited:

JDBob35a

Reaction score
So truck was just at the dealer for oil change today, and I asked if they were going to take care of the recall on the power steering. They claimed they haven't heard of a recall for it, and don't have parts. Luckily I had printed out the recall that has the VIN on the printout and also had my notification on my phone from RAM saying my truck has a recall.
Since I just happen to have all the ammo the recall JUST showed up in their system, and low and behold my truck was on the list and "No parts Required".
Lol - gotta watch these people like a hawk.

djwdjw

Reaction score
This is the document for the recall

Anyone with the PS failure able to confirm this is the fix for their problem?

IDK, this seems like the wrong answer and a fumbled play unless someone has the problem and confirms this is the single solution.

Boozygoose

Reaction score
This is a screenshot of a picture on another site.
He may have replaced the ground washer as I was not watching.. It was quick and I may have overstated the quickness of 20 seconds, but he did just check the cables and fasteners apparently and this was done with me sitting in the service line inside the building---did not take it to the garage area since it was such a quick time involved. He did say he had to do several of the new ones on the lot after closing up at 3:00 PM on Saturday so I am guessing he will just go to the vehicles on the lot and perform the recall there.

You didn't overstate it by much. Had mine done along with an oil change today.

I know the tech a bit and he walked over and chatted for a moment with me. He said he did 19 of the recalls on Saturday. Stated, "Only pays 12 minutes but only takes about 3, so not bad."

PTRAM

Reaction score
So truck was just at the dealer for oil change today, and I asked if they were going to take care of the recall on the power steering. They claimed they haven't heard of a recall for it, and don't have parts. Luckily I had printed out the recall that has the VIN on the printout and also had my notification on my phone from RAM saying my truck has a recall.
Since I just happen to have all the ammo the recall JUST showed up in their system, and low and behold my truck was on the list and "No parts Required".
Lol - gotta watch these people like a hawk.

My service department is great and as posted had the recall done Saturday. I wasn't sure if any parts were involved and there wasn't on mine .

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/