5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ram 1500 EV

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm 55. I don't like fakery. I want whatever it is to look like whatever it is.

That doesn't mean I want baloney cosmetics just to look futuristic. I just meant that if it makes sense from a functional standpoint to look different than an ICE truck, then I'm good with that. If the functionality was compromised in order to make it "look like a truck", I would not like that.
I'm 59. Not sure what age has to do with this. I'd still expect an electric truck to at least have some resemblance to other trucks, other than having a cab and a bed. Obviously, I doubt anyone would be good with sacrificing functionality for looks. But I'd be fine with a fake grill on the front if it will make it look "right" in my opinion. Hell, Nascar does that with their racecars. :LOL: Looks mean more to some people than others, and what people think looks "good" or "right" can vary a lot. Function can and does dictate how a vehicle looks, but at the end of the day, there's no way anyone will convince me that the goofy front end of a Rivian looks the way it does because of functionality. :ROFLMAO:

aussie_ram

Reaction score
Yes, IIRC, they did indeed.

I think on the tow they went something like an actual 87 miles and were down to something like 3% when they pulled in to a charging station.

I have driven 500 miles without even stopping to pee 3 different times in the last 2 weeks. 2 x 930 mile runs and 1 x 700 mile run. All without stopping more than twice, total, just to fuel up and possibly go through a drive through.

EV trucks just are not on my radar ANY time soon.

Unless that Nikola Badger project comes back to life. An EV pickup hybrid that has a hydrogen fuel cell motor onboard for a 900 mile range and quick fill-ups at hydrogen stations (which MAY become prevalent someday). I was pretty interested in that coming to fruition.

I think they problem is, like most industries, when the top companies see that something is popular and taking off, they all want to be a part of it no matter how horrible their product is/will be. I guess the marketing departments see it as, any publicity is good publicity so get something out there to sell so it looks like we're apart of it, and we can streamline the product later. Trucks just aren't ready to be electrified yet with the current infrastructure and battery technology. This is why it's taken Tesla over 10 years to get their product to a point where it is functional for the masses.

I remember renting a Tesla Model S about 6 years ago in San Francisco, and it was a cool novelty, but the range sucked, and it was impossible to find chargers, even in the Bay Area. I definitely thought, why would anyone pay 100k for this when it's not very functional?

Fast forward to 2021 and my gf bought a Model 3 for herself. It is very functional for her commute to and from work and for around town ... once a week, she'll plug it in at our condo parking charger, and she'll pay about $10 to charge it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think they problem is, like most industries, when the top companies see that something is popular and taking off, they all want to be a part of it no matter how horrible their product is/will be. I guess the marketing departments see it as, any publicity is good publicity so get something out there to sell so it looks like we're apart of it, and we can streamline the product later.
I have no doubt that's part of it. EV's are becoming somewhat more popular. But automakers also realize they need to jump on the EV bandwagon if they don't want to lose the market in states like Washington and California, which have already said all new car sales will be electric after a certain date (2030 in WA). So they know that if they want to sell vehicles in these states they'll need to invest in EV tech sooner rather than later.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And the really bad thing about those TFL towing vids is they got the extended range pack ($$$$). So imagine if you will having the 230 mile standard pack, or the assumed 250 mile standard pack the Silverado EV is getting in the trim levels that the masses will really be able to afford. Now you're talking what, 50 miles of towing range? That's just absolutely not practical unless you never leave city limits.

If Ram would take the 4xe system from the Jeeps and put it in the Ram 1500 with a slightly larger pack that gets 50 miles of EV range instead of 25 now THAT would be an amazingly useful truck. NO gas around town or to work and back, but on the weekends you have the gas motor to back you up and allow camping trips, lake trips, landscaping trailer towing, etc.

U

User_3336

And the really bad thing about those TFL towing vids is they got the extended range pack ($$$$). So imagine if you will having the 230 mile standard pack, or the assumed 250 mile standard pack the Silverado EV is getting in the trim levels that the masses will really be able to afford. Now you're talking what, 50 miles of towing range? That's just absolutely not practical unless you never leave city limits.

If Ram would take the 4xe system from the Jeeps and put it in the Ram 1500 with a slightly larger pack that gets 50 miles of EV range instead of 25 now THAT would be an amazingly useful truck. NO gas around town or to work and back, but on the weekends you have the gas motor to back you up and allow camping trips, lake trips, landscaping trailer towing, etc.
They were using a Ford F150 Lightning in the TFL test.

U

User_3336

Um... yeah.. and? The Lightning is what we're referencing. 230 mile pack is standard.
Well, you threw this in, so I wasn't sure...
"250 mile standard pack the Silverado EV"

Too bad the Lightning range was cut in third when a trailer is attached. 320 was the "range" in the Lariat that Andre purchased with the extra battery capacity, and towing package.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User_3336

TFL drove 3500 miles in the Lightning from Boulder CO to the extreme north to Deadhorse, AK.
It took then a total of 30 hours of charging in that trip.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I know we've discussed this before, but an onboard (gas-fueled) range extender seems like an ideal solution. Keep the pure EV driveline for simplicity, have an onboard 'reserve' gas-powered battery charger fueled with stabilizer to handle those longer towing weekends, and forego gas entirely the rest of the time.

There were rumors circulating about a "toolbox" for the Lightning's bed that would serve this purpose, but it seems they were just rumors. Very interested to see how Ram does it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know we've discussed this before, but an onboard (gas-fueled) range extender seems like an ideal solution. Keep the pure EV driveline for simplicity, have an onboard 'reserve' gas-powered battery charger fueled with stabilizer to handle those longer towing weekends, and forego gas entirely the rest of the time.

There were rumors circulating about a "toolbox" for the Lightning's bed that would serve this purpose, but it seems they were just rumors. Very interested to see how Ram does it.
I found just the thing for that:
052A2ED1-C385-43D8-BD65-33E4213DA44B.jpeg

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think motortrend has the best photo of what it will probably look like. That said I'm not ready to ditch gasoline anytime soon, I enjoy being able to drive 1,000 miles in a day with only stopping for 5 minute fill ups.

"estimated price: $45,000"....lol...ya and "Estimated dealer markup over msrp?...$25,000".....we'll see...

Rammmer

Reaction score
"estimated price: $45,000"....lol...ya and "Estimated dealer markup over msrp?...$25,000".....we'll see...
45k... wow. That's probably similar to saying the Ram 1500 starts at 35k. Yeah, on paper that's the cheapest possible configuration but once you add options to a Big Horn, Laramie, Limited or Rebel you're talking 65-85k.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
45k... wow. That's probably similar to saying the Ram 1500 starts at 35k. Yeah, on paper that's the cheapest possible configuration but once you add options to a Big Horn, Laramie, Limited or Rebel you're talking 65-85k.
exactly...the other thing they never seem to mention that much is the claimed range is usually with the vehicle equipped with the "extended range" battery....which is usually a $10,000-$15,000 option.

Users who are viewing this thread