5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ram 1500 EV

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check out the link with news & pics

I couldn't bring myself to buy one but hey I'm not against others giving it a go.

kdawg

Reaction score
Here is some recent info on the RAM 1500 EV. I hope they do a good job representing the brand.

This caught my attention... "including a fleet variant that uses a fuel cell to generate its electricity."

And mentioned this fancy device... "It might also come with a range extender, which Ram calls the Range Electric Paradigm Breaker."

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Range is going to be a big issue with trucks for a decade. Towing kills range. Cold weather kills range. Using AC kills range (not as much as towing or cold).

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm hopeful it will be a plug in hybrid as 95% of my driving in a year is to and from work and running errands. We have solar panels and it'd super cool to never go to the gas station AND drive on sun power.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How hard is to to make a TRUCK?. Not a car with a bed or whatever the hell a ridgeline is. A Truck, you know like they make already. Just put the Ram or Dakota body on a Pacifica PHEV and ship it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
How hard is to to make a TRUCK?. Not a car with a bed or whatever the hell a ridgeline is. A Truck, you know like they make already. Just put the Ram or Dakota body on a Pacifica PHEV and ship it.
How would that be any better than a Ridgeline? Minivan with a bed. :ROFLMAO:

Said it before and I'll say it again...I'd be open to a true diesel or gas/electric hybrid truck. But I have zero interest in an EV. At least at this point in my life.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been saying for years that I think a biodiesel/electric hybrid is the way of the future. Not sure why the manufacturers still haven't caught on to that....

gpbst3

Reaction score

I do not want any of these futuristic looking "vehicles". Ford will probably crush with the Lighting as it looks like a damn truck. Make it look like the current model truck! How hard is that?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do not want any of these futuristic looking "vehicles". Ford will probably crush with the Lighting as it looks like a damn truck. Make it look like the current model truck! How hard is that?
I totally agree with you about the looks, but I still wouldn't buy one if it looked identical to it's combustion engine cousin. What really surprises me is the number of people who actually like the "futuristic" looks. Most of those people that I know are under the age of 40.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm 55. I don't like fakery. I want whatever it is to look like whatever it is.

That doesn't mean I want baloney cosmetics just to look futuristic. I just meant that if it makes sense from a functional standpoint to look different than an ICE truck, then I'm good with that. If the functionality was compromised in order to make it "look like a truck", I would not like that.

U

User_3336

You all should go watch on TFL Youtube about how dismal the F150 Lightning performance was on its battery.
It wasn't pretty.
Truck's were meant to do "truck" things, like hauling and towing, and a battery powered truck can't stand up to a ICE powered truck. If you want to drive it around town and to work, maybe.

U

User_3336

They were seriously worried about how the range kept changing. They just had to turn around and find a charging station. They never made it to their destination. The lightning's towing performance was pretty pathetic!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You all should go watch on TFL Youtube about how dismal the F150 Lightning performance was on its battery.
It wasn't pretty.
Truck's were meant to do "truck" things, like hauling and towing, and a battery powered truck can't stand up to a ICE powered truck. If you want to drive it around town and to work, maybe.

Seriously! Dude was losing 1% of battery per every 1 mile driven towing that camper on the freeway.

Definitely not ready for Prime Truck Time.

U

User_3336

Seriously! Dude was losing 1% of battery per every 1 mile driven towing that camper on the freeway.

Definitely not ready for Prime Truck Time.
Pretty pathetic. Even Andre was unimpressed! The Lightning never made it to the destination. They had to turn around and hunt for a charging station.

And I'll have to go back to where they picked up the Lightning, but I think they ordered it with the extra battery power/pack.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty pathetic. Even Andre was unimpressed! The Lightning never made it to the destination. They had to turn around and hunt for a charging station.

And I'll have to go back to where they picked up the Lightning, but I think they ordered it with the extra battery power/pack.

Yes, IIRC, they did indeed.

I think on the tow they went something like an actual 87 miles and were down to something like 3% when they pulled in to a charging station.

I have driven 500 miles without even stopping to pee 3 different times in the last 2 weeks. 2 x 930 mile runs and 1 x 700 mile run. All without stopping more than twice, total, just to fuel up and possibly go through a drive through.

EV trucks just are not on my radar ANY time soon.

Unless that Nikola Badger project comes back to life. An EV pickup hybrid that has a hydrogen fuel cell motor onboard for a 900 mile range and quick fill-ups at hydrogen stations (which MAY become prevalent someday). I was pretty interested in that coming to fruition.

U

User_3336

Yes, IIRC, they did indeed.

I think on the tow they went something like an actual 87 miles and were down to something like 3% when they pulled in to a charging station.
Oddly enough, all the trailer and weight information was keyed into the computer, but the range was way way way off. The range just keep dropping and dropping. It seriously had these guys worried if they were going to be stranded. Luckily they turned around.

Will RAM do any better? Not optimistic. Will I buy one? Hell no.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oddly enough, all the trailer and weight information was keyed into the computer, but the range was way way way off. The range just keep dropping and dropping. It seriously had these guys worried if they were going to be stranded. Luckily they turned around.

Will RAM do any better? Not optimistic. Will I buy one? Hell no.

I suspect the onboard computer had no way to correct for the aerodynamic drag of the trailer at freeway speeds and that is why it was so off.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think motortrend has the best photo of what it will probably look like. That said I'm not ready to ditch gasoline anytime soon, I enjoy being able to drive 1,000 miles in a day with only stopping for 5 minute fill ups.

U

User_3336

I suspect the onboard computer had no way to correct for the aerodynamic drag of the trailer at freeway speeds and that is why it was so off.
Motortrend even towed a travel trailer weighing 3,200 pounds at highway speeds and never saw more than 125 miles on a single charge (In the Lightning)

So, lets sum it up.
  • Charging times and Range are unpredictable
  • Long-distance towing is impractical
RAM promises their longer wait for their battery powered truck will compensate for some of this. Will be interesting to see.

Users who are viewing this thread