5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New oil spots on driveway

stevestrike

Reaction score
Had my Ram since about May 2019. Picked it up from the dealer after having some work done on the ramboxes (didn’t help) and now about a month later I notice oil spots on my driveway. I’ve never had this before, what could cause those and should I be concerned?

Kidder

Reaction score
Your truck shouldn't leak at all. It could be a slightly loose filter or drain plug. Has it has its first oil change yet?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man that could be a million things. *Most likely* culprit on a new truck is a messy oil change where they didn't clean up the mess. I haven't done the oil change on this myself but apparently the filter removal makes a royal mess if you don't use a Ziploc bag and/or clean up afterwards.

So that would be what I would check first. Well, actually I would put a piece of cardboard under there first overnight to be sure it was motor oil. Then I would check the filter and drain plug to see if they were tight. Oil dipstick in all the way. Oil cap not left off. No seepage from valve cover gaskets. Rear main seal leak (oil dripping from the transmission bellhousing). Front crank seal leak from behind timing chain cover. Oil pan gasket leak. More or less in that order.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Brother had this exact situation following an oil change a couple of weeks ago. I told him exactly as jdmartin said, probably a pi$$ poor clean up following the drainage. I decided to take a quick look at it a couple of days later...Loose oil filter was the culprit. Start there just in case, don't want it to completely back off under power if that is the problem. Small issue will become very serious, very quickly.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would crawl under the truck and inspect. But likely what everyone is mentioning, if you had an oil change, it was a messy oil change. Oil gets everywhere when you pull the drain plug and remove the oil filter, if the tech didn't bother to wipe it down well afterwards, oil will drip for a while.

RamCares

Reaction score
Had my Ram since about May 2019. Picked it up from the dealer after having some work done on the ramboxes (didn’t help) and now about a month later I notice oil spots on my driveway. I’ve never had this before, what could cause those and should I be concerned?

We certainly understand why this would be concerning, stevestrike. If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions provided here, we recommend addressing this with your servicing dealer as they are in the best position to provide assistance. We are just a PM away if you do work with your dealer and any additional assistance is needed.

Mark
RamCares

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I would crawl under the truck and inspect. But likely what everyone is mentioning, if you had an oil change, it was a messy oil change. Oil gets everywhere when you pull the drain plug and remove the oil filter, if the tech didn't bother to wipe it down well afterwards, oil will drip for a while.
X2. Right after my 2nd oil change from the dealer in 5500 miles, I had a couple silver dollar sized spots on the clean garage floor. I went underneath and didn’t see any obvious drips but felt sure it came from the day before’s change. After cleaning the floor up, it hasn’t spotted since.

768mph

Reaction score
Ive changed the oil twice in my wifes 19 Ram BH Sport. Both times Mopar filter, and plenty tight. Both times the filter loosened and produced drips around 5k miles. I had to go underneath and tighten them back up.

This third time, ive tightened more than normal. And will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevestrike

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I got under there and looked around and it is right below the oil filter. I'll tighten it up and see if it stops. I also let the dealer know that this had happened

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I got under there and looked around and it is right below the oil filter. I'll tighten it up and see if it stops. I also let the dealer know that this had happened
Glad you found the source of the leak. Let us know how it goes.

11B4X4

Reaction score
Another thing to check, and I apologize in advance for not having pictures, but under the oil filter are 3 or 4 hex bolts (easily accessible). I had an oil spot on my driveway and a couple of those hex bolts were loose. After tightening the oil drips went away. When tightening I had a noticeable amount movement to each one.

Edit: looks like you had the same problem I did

Users who are viewing this thread