5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Hello All,

I’m new to this site and new to the Truck world. I’m looking to buy a 2019 RAM 1500 Limited. I was just able to test drive one last week. I looked at RAM, Tundra, F-150 as trucks I wanted to buy. Saw the new 2019 and fell in love with it. Love the interior and the new shape and upgrades. Plus it rode so much smoother than the other trucks. Looking for any advice on the following:

3.21 vs 3.92 (won’t be towing a lot but some)
Rambox
Lighter interior vs black
Color bumper vs stainless steel
20” vs 22” rims

Thank you.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
#1 - i have the 3.92 gears and 34.5" tires. the 8 speed tranny is awesome.i don't tow anything and will pay the extra$200 a year for the giddy-up
#2 - rambox- i have them in the 6ft 4" and would never(did i say never) NOT have them again. top feature in rams trucks imo.
#3 - i am an anti-chrome guy. prefer body colour. (personal preference) think sport model
#4 - again personal preference. i like the 20" rims with a little more rubber. (plus much cheaper all the way around)
my truck- 2013 ram 1500 sport 165,000 kilometres. no issues - will buy a 2109 once i can configure it the way i want it.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!
1f44d.png

As for your questions, I have the 3.92s in my 2016, i felt that the small fuel mileage penalty would be worth it and from what I have seen the fuel mileage difference is miniscule. I'd recommend to test drive both and see which you prefer.

As for the other options I think they really come down to personal preferences.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have to agree with both @mikemcfarland and @Jared Balfour.

Go with the 3.92 gears. If you will tow at all you will want them, and 3.21 won't get you to much more mileage unless you drive sensibly.

I haven't had the Ram box yet, but I also feel it is a must have.

And I also feel the 20s are a better choice.

And I am partial to the body color everything.

And the interior, well guess it really depends on the color, and the climate you live really.

Glad to hear the Ram tops your list. Good choice.

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Going to go with 3.92, Ram Box and seems like 20" Wheels are the choice. The 20" Wheel choice on the build Page doesn't look that good. Did you guys do after market or do they look better than they appear. I will also most likely get the larger gas tank. I am assuming you all have the Tow Package?

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1- My '16 F150 has the 3.55 gears and tows my 7500lbs boat just fine. Right now I've got the 3.21s on order but am debating to switch to the 3.92s.
2 - Rambox. I've never had them, so I don't know what I'm missing but being anal about my trucks paint, it may be another way to scratch the bedsides easily. The Ram has a ton of storage in the cab and I want one now - not in the fall! I'm skipping this option.
3 - I've got an all black interior on my F150 and am getting the same in the Ram, although the headliner and pillars will be the tan color. It has grown on me with the trucks I've test driven - I've got the same color combo in my wife's Fusion and no complaints.
4 - I've got the painted bumpers on my F150 and paid to get the paint protection film on it. It was $1300 to get the full kit plus a few other spots to ensure no paint chips on that truck. The Ram will be $450 since I'm getting the chrome grill and bumpers - a lot less time and material!
5 - 20s look good, I'm not a fan of the 22's - not enough sidewall.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
mikemcfarland said:
#1 - i have the 3.92 gears and 34.5" tires. the 8 speed tranny is awesome.i don't tow anything and will pay the extra$200 a year for the giddy-up
#2 - rambox- i have them in the 6ft 4" and would never(did i say never) NOT have them again. top feature in rams trucks imo.
#3 - i am an anti-chrome guy. prefer body colour. (personal preference) think sport model
#4 - again personal preference. i like the 20" rims with a little more rubber. (plus much cheaper all the way around)
my truck- 2013 ram 1500 sport 165,000 kilometres. no issues - will buy a 2109 once i can configure it the way i want it.
Your waiting 90 years before you get a new one. Probably be 10 Generation by then.
1f61b.png
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Hey Mike,

What Trim are you ordering? Looks like the Limited is all Black everywhere. Are you getting Laramie?

D

Deleted member103

SoCal Truck said:
Hey Mike,

What Trim are you ordering? Looks like the Limited is all Black everywhere. Are you getting Laramie?
Have you taken the time to "build & price" one ?
Indigo / tan is the other option, right THEIR ! It is still on the darker side but not nearly as much with the lighter seats + !

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Sorry LOU.2. Let me rephrase. I was replying to this comment:

3 - I've got an all black interior on my F150 and am getting the same in the Ram, although the headliner and pillars will be the tan color. It has grown on me with the trucks I've test driven - I've got the same color combo in my wife's Fusion and no complaints.

YES, I have taken the time. What I was referring too was that in the Limited, when you select Black, everything is black including the pillars and headliner, but on the Laramie I believe, you can select Black Leather and the pillars and headliner are still a light color.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
SoCal Truck said:
Sorry LOU.2. Let me rephrase. I was replying to this comment:

YES, I have taken the time. What I was referring too was that in the Limited, when you select Black, everything is black including the pillars and headliner, but on the Laramie I believe, you can select Black Leather and the pillars and headliner are still a light color.
This is correct, other than Longhorn and Limited all the trims have the lighter colour pillars and headliner unless you get the Sport package of that respective trim, then you get the black.

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
This is correct, other than Longhorn and Limited all the trims have the lighter colour pillars and headliner unless you get the Sport package of that respective trim, then you get the black.
Let's not forget the limited also offers-up the INDIGO/IVORY interior . . . ALEX ON AUTOS YouTube has done a Really Good Video on THIS Limited Version AND does a nice job going over the 12" UConnect . . . it's at the site, just click on "videos" and down to the 4th row you'll see the DT Video . . . enjoy ! I did !
263a.png

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
SoCal Truck said:
Thanks Guys. Going to go with 3.92, Ram Box and seems like 20" Wheels are the choice. The 20" Wheel choice on the build Page doesn't look that good. Did you guys do after market or do they look better than they appear. I will also most likely get the larger gas tank. I am assuming you all have the Tow Package?
I was on the fence about the Ram Box because I prefer the look of the truck without them, but they are huge and there is a lot you can do with them.Having seen them in person at the auto show - I'm sold on them. Much bigger than I thought they were and the 2019s have LED lights and a 110V outlet (not sure if that is trim dependent or not though).Awesome feature and rare product differentiator.

Users who are viewing this thread