5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member with rear defrost problem

Hexman62

Reaction score
Bought a 2019 Ram 1500 quad cab and love it. Only thing is rear defrost does not work. No power at connector on rear glass and fuse is OK. Doesn't seem like there's a relay either. Any advice?

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome... does the switch light up when you press it? could be disconnected from the back somehow?

Hexman62

Reaction score
Yes, the switch does light up and the connection to the window is not connected. I removed so I could check voltage. There is power at the fuse but not at the window connection

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There seems to be an open break somewhere between the fuse and the rear window. You probably will have to trace the wiring all along the way. How is the window grid grounded to make a complete circuit? You should check that as well.

6of36

Reaction score
I was a chrysler mechanic long long ago, so things may be different. Now so many things are actually controlled by the BCM. Back in the day, there was a relay. It could have 1 fuse for switch power, and another, high amperage one for the actual grid power. Maybe you will get lucky, and a more current mechanic will chime in.

Hexman62

Reaction score
I was a chrysler mechanic long long ago, so things may be different. Now so many things are actually controlled by the BCM. Back in the day, there was a relay. It could have 1 fuse for switch power, and another, high amperage one for the actual grid power. Maybe you will get lucky, and a more current mechanic will chime in.
Right, some discreet switches still remain but not many! Just find it hard to believe a wire would be open somewhere but that's where I'm headed....

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a 2019 Ram 1500 quad cab and love it. Only thing is rear defrost does not work. No power at connector on rear glass and fuse is OK. Doesn't seem like there's a relay either. Any advice?
Look very very carefully at all the lines. If anything scratched the glass and removed the conductive coating it breaks the circuit. Usually you only loose a line or two but a break in the right place can knock the whole thing out.

Hexman62

Reaction score
Look very very carefully at all the lines. If anything scratched the glass and removed the conductive coating it breaks the circuit. Usually you only loose a line or two but a break in the right place can knock the whole thing out.
Good advice thanks. However, not even getting 14v to the window connector. Seems like an open wire somewhere between the fuse and the connector.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Here is the defogger circuit. This should help ya out a lil bit. ;)

Attachments

• defrost1.jpg
    defrost1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 37
  • defrost2.jpg
    defrost2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 35
  • defrost3.jpg
    defrost3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 34

6of36

Reaction score
Ratchet's post pretty much confirms my earlier post. It looks like fuse 11 is for control circuit. ( feeds low power of relay, making it switch on, and feeding the light on the switch) Fuses 46 and 46 would be the high draw side of the relays. ( actually powering defroster ) Check those 2 fuses. If they are good, check the relay. If it is working, you have a break in the wiring.

Hexman62

Reaction score
Ratchet's post pretty much confirms my earlier post. It looks like fuse 11 is for control circuit. ( feeds low power of relay, making it switch on, and feeding the light on the switch) Fuses 46 and 46 would be the high draw side of the relays. ( actually powering defroster ) Check those 2 fuses. If they are good, check the relay. If it is working, you have a break in the wiring.
This is excellent advice guys! Not sure why I couldn't find this circuit via surfing?

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Kind of the same problem here, since the truck was new many of the ‘lines’ in the window didn’t defrost and now its down to only 1 or 2 that do. Finally remembered to ask the service department about in on last service and they have ordered a whole new window under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread